IGNORED

All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

womblingfree

Finished the story of 0 and have gone straight into Kiwami. It really does help doing it this way as 0 does a good job of explaining who the key people in the Tojo clan are. I remember playing Kiwami before and the lack of context to who Kazama, Sera etc are confused the hell out of me.

Still playing 0 to finish the addictive Cabaret Club side quest. Just need to take down Club Moon now. Don't think I will bother with the Kiryu business, the thought of having to get good at the mini games to advance puts me off.

On 12/09/2007 at 16:15, MW_Jimmy said:

Just about I think.

Yakuza plays like a Shenmue prototype with a really shit storyline. Much wasted potential throughout.

Shenmue plays like a Yakuza prototype with a really shit storyline. Much wasted potential throughout.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus Christ, it's a long time since I've been pissed off with a game so much that I wanted to throw my controller across the room, but the 

Spoiler

'Being chased by police on foot'

section in Yakuza 3 is some proper bullshit. A lot of it is luck based in where the crowds of people are congregating. I finally did it after about a dozen attempts. 

15 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Jesus Christ, it's a long time since I've been pissed off with a game so much that I wanted to throw my controller across the room, but the 

Hide contents

section in Yakuza 3 is some proper bullshit. A lot of it is luck based in where the crowds of people are congregating. I finally did it after about a dozen attempts. 

I haven't got to 3 yet but if its anything like the 'blend into a crowd to hide from Yakuza whilst dragging a blind girl' in 0 then it can piss off. One of the worse bits of an otherwise great game.

41 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Hide contents

Yakuza 3 is the only one of the remastered collection that probably needed a Kiwami-type upgrade. It's the one which has aged the worst, by a significant margin.

I certainly still enjoyed it enormously, but fucking hell some of the battles just become 'turtle country'. 

Finished Kiwami on Xbox last night, second time after completing it on PS4.

That Jingu boss fight is still as stupid as I remember it. I did forget that his two bodyguards revive after you knock them down and become super irritating knife guys. I just ended up using Beast mode on them, on his own Jingu is easy to beat. The Nishiki fight is fairly easy as well, Rush mode is the best.

Kiwami 2 next. I have not played any of them from here on before.

22 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Finished Kiwami on Xbox last night, second time after completing it on PS4.

That Jingu boss fight is still as stupid as I remember it. I did forget that his two bodyguards revive after you knock them down and become super irritating knife guys. I just ended up using Beast mode on them, on his own Jingu is easy to beat. The Nishiki fight is fairly easy as well, Rush mode is the best.

Kiwami 2 next. I have not played any of them from here on before.

Kiwami 2 is awesome, but just be prepared for the slight changes to the fighting with the move to the newer engine on it. The first boss battle I did took bloody ages before things clicked!

Kiwami 2 is almost up there for me with 0. I'm on chapter 11 and don't really want it to end. So maxing my hostess's game and building an army of NJPW wrestlers to defend a building site atm.

Now heres the thing. How much of difference is it going to Yakuza 3 after this ? I found the quality drop from 0 to Kiwami 1 crushing. I had to force myself to play through that and it was really disapointing. Ive heard mixed things about 3. Nervous about its quality tbh coming from K2.

2 minutes ago, Orion said:

Kiwami 2 is almost up there for me with 0. I'm on chapter 11 and don't really want it to end. So maxing my hostess's game and building an army of NJPW wrestlers to defend a building site atm.

Now heres the thing. How much of difference is it going to Yakuza 3 after this ? I found the quality drop from 0 to Kiwami 1 crushing. I had to force myself to play through that and it was really disapointing. Ive heard mixed things about 3. Nervous about its quality tbh coming from K2.

I went straight from Kiwami 2 to 3 and apart from some obvious early PS3 design (unskippable and unpausable cutscenes/insta-fail sections) I actually really enjoyed it. It's a much 'smaller' story than 2 with a new location and a much shorter run time than 2. You could probably race through it in about 12 hours if you ignored all the side quests. After you get over the initial shock of ye olde plastic-y sheen on everything, there's a lot to enjoy. 

I'm having a break before starting 4. You can only beat up so many gangsters and dress up so many hostesses before the novelty starts to wear off. 

31 minutes ago, Orion said:

Wooooah - I knew they were in 6, but there are NJPW guys in Kiwami 2 as well???

18 minutes ago, Bobbi Champagne Jr said:

Wooooah - I knew they were in 6, but there are NJPW guys in Kiwami 2 as well???

In the Majima tower defence mini game, which isn't amazing but its alright. I have Okada, Naito and Tanahashi as part of my team. The bosses later are old school guys like Riki Choshu.

I guess with 3. I'll set expectations for a different area to explore. Which does sound interesting.

2 minutes ago, Orion said:

See, I found the transition between 0 and Kiwami fine. As much as I enjoyed the cabaret stuff In 0 Kiwami still has an engaging enough story and fun side stories. The Majima fights can get a little fustrating, especially towards the end, but its a relatively short game compared to 0 as well.

I suppose it also helped that I had played Kiwami before so knew what to expect.

I'm really looking forward to playing 6 again, when it gets released on PC. It's absolutely my favourite - I absolutely love everything about the game, and the secondary characters in it are wonderful. It'll just be lovely to play it in 60fps, as it always felt the PS4 was gasping a little under the load! It was a truly wonderful send-off for old Kazuma :) .

All that was missing was a Gundam robot appearing...which quite honestly I'd not have batted an eye-lid over if there had been one in it.

On 28/02/2021 at 14:03, Calashnikov said:

I don’t supposed the dragon engine games (Kiwami 2, 6 and Judgment) run any better in a 60fps-stylee on PS5, does anyone know?

I've not tried myself but apparently the framerate is much more stable. Judgment is getting a PS5 version but there's no free upgrade unfortunately.

15 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the PS5 version of Judgment. I bought the PS4 version in a digital sale years ago for my unplayed pile of shame, sadly :( 

Me too and it's still sat there unplayed and now I'm considering the Series X version instead. 

On 28/02/2021 at 15:03, Calashnikov said:

I don’t supposed the dragon engine games (Kiwami 2, 6 and Judgment) run any better in a 60fps-stylee on PS5, does anyone know?

I think 30fps is 30fps locked on whichever console you run it on. I don't recall any of those having a performance/quality toggle. So unless they're ported or patched or get their framerate boosted in that Xbox BC feature, 30fps they shall remain :(

So I'm enjoying Kiwami 2, however that Majima boss fight in Purgatory was not fun. Maybe I haven't fully gotten used to the combat (which seems far more limited than 0 and 1) but not having a Rush mode and fighting someone as quick and unblockable as that is almost game breaking imo. I pretty much used all of my health items to beat him in the end.

Also the Heat actions in this game are less accessible or not as easy to pull off (plus the Heat bar takes an age to fill), why? Its making me avoid most enemy encounters.

Still, the benefits of the newer engine and the additional freedom it gives you in the city streets is great, a step up from the previous two games, just requires that 60fps bump.

Oh boy, the Yakuza Kiwami games are really rough after playing Yakuza 0 and 6. Decided to give up on those.

I’ve already played the whole series from Yakuza 0 to 6. Yakuza 1 and 2 I’ve played on the PS2. So storywise I’m not missing anything.

Kiwami feels a bit too much like an HD remaster instead of a proper remake. It looks good (apart from the huge hands on the character models, what’s up with that?) but feels a bit dated. Quests are fetchy, animation a bit stiff.

I think I am done with the Saga of Kiryu Kazuma. Time to move on to part 7. Or maybe Judgement. Is that a good one? I’ve never played a game outside of the main series.

I wouldn’t give up on Kiwami 2, I don’t remember it suffering from the same BS difficulty as some of the other earlier games in the series. Kiwami 2 got the full brand new Dragon Engine facelift, so pretty fucking modernised to the standards of 6 and Judgment (and I guess Yak:LaD?). Try it again.

7 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Kiwami feels a bit too much like an HD remaster instead of a proper remake. It looks good (apart from the huge hands on the character models, what’s up with that?) but feels a bit dated. Quests are fetchy, animation a bit stiff.

Yeah, both 0 and Kiwami 1 run on the same "big hand" character engine. It really is quite distracting, even on Kiryu, but it makes the women look ridiculous.

Kiwami 2 is definitely a step up on those games though. Better animations (people 'crumple' after being hit, Kiryu hops over small obstacles) walk into restaurants/shops with no loading screens and generally more freedom to explore the city. The combat is a bit of a step down though, I much preferred having the different fight styles like the first two games.

Either way 3 is going to be a real step down when I get round to it.

2 hours ago, Aurelius said:

It's the definition of a remake, the original was a fixed camera PS2 game. Rebuilt from the ground up with assorted new bells and whistles, but ultimately the same story hence no scope to make it as big as later games in the series. 

I agree it is rough coming from 0 but it was great to play the original story with fairly up to date tech.

2 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I wouldn’t give up on Kiwami 2, I don’t remember it suffering from the same BS difficulty as some of the other earlier games in the series. Kiwami 2 got the full brand new Dragon Engine facelift, so pretty fucking modernised to the standards of 6 and Judgment (and I guess Yak:LaD?). Try it again.

I didn’t know Kiwami 2 uses the same engine as 6. I loved that one! I will give it a try. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yakuza/Kiwami 2 is still my favourite Yakuza. But even 3, which I found a bit of a chore, had a wonderful story around the orphanage and some knock-out memorable moments. Regarding 2, I was sad that 

Spoiler

Sayama

never made it to the later games (as far as I remember) as she was great.

Have to say that Like a Dragon may well knock 2 off the top spot if it carries on getting better, although the tone is very different. Ichiban is an amazing character.