All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

On 17/11/2020 at 12:24, Calashnikov said:

Although, in saying that, when it comes to the great proto-Yakuza Shenmue, it’s dodgy English dub or gtfo :quote:

A game in which a young man wanders the streets at night asking strangers where he can find Charlie - not nearly as funny in Japanese.

On 20/11/2020 at 00:55, Calashnikov said:

The PS5 being able to tell my PS4 play counts was an eye opener. Seemingly I put 82 hours into Yakuza 0, 21 into Kiwami, 51 for Kiwami 2, 34 in Yak 3 and 44 in Yak 4 :blink:

So many teeth smashed already, and I still have 3 more full entries and a spin-off to go :blush:

Seems buggy though, when I checked a handful of games that I finished were listed as <1 hour. Yakuza 6 and Kiwami 2 for example, while having like 70% or so of the trophies in both games

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Seems buggy though, when I checked a handful of games that I finished were listed as <1 hour. Yakuza 6 and Kiwami 2 for example, while having like 70% or so of the trophies in both games

Oh I see what's happening. I checked again just now and it's because I game share with a friend. Certain games are listed twice, one with the correct playtime and the other with the less than an hour playtime. :blush:

(Also posted in the LAD thread)

He's the lead of that awesome localization team that has been doing God's work since Zero :)

Remember way earlier in this thread, when it was just a handful of us in here and it looked like we wouldn't ever see Yakuza 5 translated or any subsequent games reach these shores? How times can change :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Been playing a (bare bones) fan translation of Black Panther on PSP today. Only an hour or so in and it's enjoyable if a little odd; Kamurocho is present and correct albeit in a Yak1&2 fixed camera style but the cutscenes are done in a Peace Walker-esque stylised manner, and the fighting is really claustrophobic - taking place in set 'arenas' around town (public park 3, behind Serena etc) without the free-flowing nature of the main series. Interested to see where it goes.

@HarryBizzle just confirmed in the gp thread that the Yakuza: Remastered Collection is coming to game pass (and therefore Xbox) Jan 28th and Yakuza 6 coming March 25th! That means 0 through 6, the entire Kiryu saga completely free if you have game pass!

Anyone who hasn't played these yet is in for a treat. Epic scenes, what a bargain

It was announced at the Tokyo Game Show with the dates, wasn't it? I have 7 still to play on my Series X, but I'm waiting for these before starting that. 

On 15/01/2021 at 21:07, Yobo Ahoy said:

Been playing a (bare bones) fan translation of Black Panther on PSP today. Only an hour or so in and it's enjoyable if a little odd; Kamurocho is present and correct albeit in a Yak1&2 fixed camera style but the cutscenes are done in a Peace Walker-esque stylised manner, and the fighting is really claustrophobic - taking place in set 'arenas' around town (public park 3, behind Serena etc) without the free-flowing nature of the main series. Interested to see where it goes.

Mixed feelings on this. I just can't get on with the fighting style; it's very 'Def Jam' (unsurprisingly considering the developers) 

but it's just not very fun, and it's hard to really have any idea if you are winning (no health bars during fights). The fighting is even more of a focus than usual (you are being forced to participate in an underground fighting ring) and as the substories haven't been translated (they do seem quite fleeting anyway) it's a bit of a slog. In addition, the character you play as is a total arsehole with no redeeming features, a poundshop Nishikiyama.

A shame really, as it's quite impressive technically; the city looks nice (albeit a little washed-out in the familiar PSP manner) and series staples like bowling, baseball, hostesses (again, not translated), UFO Catcher games and even a very basic karaoke are present and correct. In addition you can work at some places around town in strangely compelling minigames (such varied vocations as ice cream server, ramen drainer, burger flipper and strip club bouncer), but they don't offer any real progression. 

I'll probably plough through it just to see where the story goes but it doesn't compare to even the worst Yak titles (even making allowances for the partial translation).

On 15/01/2021 at 21:07, Yobo Ahoy said:

I have NEVER HEARD OF THIS. Wtf is it? I’m intrigued.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurohyō:_Ryū_ga_Gotoku_Shinshō

The first attempt to introduce a new protagonist to the series about 10 years ago, unfortunately Japan and PSP only. Decent summary here (including chat on Black Panther 2 which isn't translated yet): 

Info on the patch and a link to the download:

http://segabits.com/blog/2021/01/06/japanese-only-yakuza-black-panther-on-psp-gets-english-fan-patch-after-6-years-of-work/

Latest thoughts: it's growing on me a bit. The story is still a bit iffy and the main guy is a twat  (you are just a small fry chump and there is none of the normal Yakuza pomp - he doesn't even have a back tattoo!)  but the fighting is showing a lot of depth, there are various different styles and everything is quite customisable. Worth a play if you have the means to - on that note, I've been playing on my actual PSP2000 but some of the videos on YouTube on emulators make it look 10x better. 

I loved that mini game. I think I max levelled all my girls in the end. In terms of recruiting them, you meet a few around town standing around as well as by completing side quests. The scary old lady who wears all the leopard print gear (the oba...ta...rian?) is worth getting into your roster I seem to recall.

I was also addicted to it in Kiwami 2, and there is a similar game in Fist Of The North Star. Obviously I only play those bits when the wife isn't home though, she already calls the Yak titles 'those weird Japanese karaoke games', God knows what she'd call it if she saw the nightclub sections. 

17 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

I was also addicted to it in Kiwami 2, and there is a similar game in Fist Of The North Star. Obviously I only play those bits when the wife isn't home though, she already calls the Yak titles 'those weird Japanese karaoke games', God knows what she'd call it if she saw the nightclub sections. 

Don't show her Kiryu visiting the Internet cafe in 6! :lol:

6 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I loved that mini game. I think I max levelled all my girls in the end. In terms of recruiting them, you meet a few around town standing around as well as by completing side quests. The scary old lady who wears all the leopard print gear (the oba...ta...rian?) is worth getting into your roster I seem to recall.

I did three more cabaret sessions tonight after hiring two more girls on the street, am now ready for a battle with club Mars.

Haven't found the old lady yet but I did randomly hire the mum of the little girl you keep having to win cuddly toys in the Arcade for. Turns up for work in her mumsy clothes looking so bizzare amongst all the glam women but one of the better workers!

Also just finished chapter 8, I think I'm enjoying Majimas story more than Kiryus although both are great.

Finished Black Panther on PSP. It ended up growing on me a lot - the story comes on leaps and bounds towards the end (standard Millennium Tower showdown front and centre obviously), and there are multiple (easily 10+, I only unlocked 8) fighting styles which makes scraps with random street punks actually quite enjoyable as you can try out new moves on them. Wrestling, Jiu-jitsu and Lucha Libre are a lot of fun as they use a fair few moves from the old N64 wrestling games and the subsequent Def Jam games - ever wanted to do a Tombstone or Stone Cold Stunner in a Yakuza game? Then this is for you! 

A real shame we'll never see it (or the sequel) fully translated or re-released, it's actually a very good game indeed. 

One thing to note though, if anyone does fancy playing it themselves - be aware there are two instances in the main story which will cause the game to crash (both crappy tailing missions, the only ones in the game - chapters 5 and 7 I think? I also had a crash on a substory in the Hotel District). You can get around it by saving just before and reloading in the original Japanese ISO (you'll not miss too much story), doing the mission, saving again and then switching back to the English version. A faff but worth it.