rllmuk
womblingfree

All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

Yakuza 6 is down to £13 too. 

No excuses for anyone not to complete the set :D 

Edit: Ooh, Judgment down to half price too....hmm.

Picked up 6 for £12-ish, which completes my Yakuza collection.

Best crack on, I guess.

Really need to finish Judgment, believe I was on Chapter 11, a very well put together spinoff but I’ve been spoilt with Kiryu’s epic saga over the years. 

Don't sleep on Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise either! I knew nothing about the franchise apart from it was about a muscly man who punched people and then their heads exploded. Ended up loving it - it's got amazing, hilarious combat and some brilliant characters all voiced by the classic RGG crew. 

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

Don't sleep on Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise either! I knew nothing about the franchise apart from it was about a muscly man who punched people and then their heads exploded. Ended up loving it - it's got amazing, hilarious combat and some brilliant characters all voiced by the classic RGG crew. 

Is that reduced too?

1 minute ago, DC said:

Is that reduced too?

£12.99.

My willpower is being broken...

• Upvote 2

FotNS is great. But the boss fights suffer from that usual Yakuza difficulty spike so stock up win potions.

After starting it when it was first released I have finally completed Yakuza 0. It had been a while since I played it and I'd forgotten how annoying the enemies with guns are and how bad I was at the combat. It's obviously the best of the three I've played and completed, the original on PS2 with its amazing dub and Y3 on PS3 which was a bit of a slog. I'll probably play Judgement next before going through the rest of the games just for something slightly different before diving back into the Kiryu story through to its conclusion.

48 minutes ago, ryodi said:

After starting it when it was first released I have finally completed Yakuza 0. It had been a while since I played it and I'd forgotten how annoying the enemies with guns are and how bad I was at the combat. It's obviously the best of the three I've played and completed, the original on PS2 with its amazing dub and Y3 on PS3 which was a bit of a slog. I'll probably play Judgement next before going through the rest of the games just for something slightly different before diving back into the Kiryu story through to its conclusion.

Oooh, during Y3, I was practically begging for those gun guys to come back. There's some really rotten, cheating bastards in the Yakuza world, and most of them live in the third game :p 

Edit: I caved. Fist of the North Star and Judgment currently downloading.

And I'm still on Y5...

Yay for the lockdown!

• Upvote 2

The boss in the office who was ridiculously fast was the reason I stopped playing Y3 the first time. I think he was fairly early on but in that game I think if you lost you had to fight all the grunts again to get to him. 

The only Y3 boss that gave me serious trouble was the Chinese Triad guy about halfway through, I ended up cheesing it by poking him once then dodging away, over and over. Took about half an hour, very dull. 

Immediately after that battle I took the time to track down Komaki and learn Tiger Drop, and never looked back. 

11 hours ago, ryodi said:

The boss in the office who was ridiculously fast was the reason I stopped playing Y3 the first time. I think he was fairly early on but in that game I think if you lost you had to fight all the grunts again to get to him. 

I don’t think you did, but I remember him being a right pain when I played on the PS3. He crabs and has some explosive moves when he’s in his red heat state. He wasn’t a problem in the remaster - not sure if I was better prepared, they made the fight easier or my Yakuza skills have improved immeasurably since then.

You're are correct, I think I'm getting it mixed up with me getting my ass handed to me, quitting to go and buy better equipment and healing items and going back through the building only to lose to him again.

My friend is annoyed that Pocket Circuit is only in Y0, it was his favourite part of the game.

It’s in Kiwami 1. All the characters from the related substory in 0 are in it too, the kids have grown up and Pocket Circuit Fighter is old and tragic.

I'll let him know, he must not have found it. I'm going to play Kiwami once I've completed Judgement.

Yeah, from memory you come across one of the kids who’s now a generic-looking adult NPC in the streets of Kamorocho which kickstarts the pocket circuit substory. There’s nothing overtly pocket circuit-looking about him. I happened across it by chance. Maybe have yer pal read a wiki.

I completed Y0 and never once played Pocket Circuit, I don't think I even found out where it was. Did I miss out on much? 

I was crap at the racing, I never really figure out how to do it, but you maybe missed out on the fun of car customisation, if that’s something you’re into. The substory attached to it also seemed pretty great in 0 and Kiwami.

• Upvote 1

Sounds cool, will hunt it down on a replay. 

The drone racing and customisation in Judgement is sick as; it's like the F-Zero GX sequel that never was. 

Bloody hell, Yakuza 5 just goes on and on and on doesn't it :p 

I'm wholly invested in the story and absolutely loving it, but by god you can tell it was made for the Yakuza faithful. When a finale has 4 chapters, you know this is definitely not a game that'll win new fans over!

Throughout playing this (and I'm nearing the end now), it feels like it has the whiff of a Columbo story...y'know, where right at the beginning you know full well who's going to kill who and which people are the real bad guys. But that never really matters, as our heroes don't have that outsiders knowledge, so it works out perfectly well.

Aside from Daigo's turn as a bad Michael Jackson impersonator

That was a bit silly ;) 

Going from Yakuza 3 to Yakuza 4 is just :wub:

Even though they share the same engine, it's clearly a massive step up. Just in terms of graphics, cut-scene direction and general confidence really. It looks and feels like a proper Yakuza game again. And although I'm only an hour or so in, I already like the first protagonist a great deal.

Yakuza 4 was my first game in the series, first protagonist cemented it for me, really.

And Yakuza 5 finished. 

33 hours...just over 8% completion :p . 

So, so much I didn't do. 

The whole finale chapter was full of absolutely awesome stuff all the way through (although by that point you're mostly a passenger ;) ). Definitely the most bonkers storyline in all of the Yakuza games I've played. And in a series of absolutely madness, that's saying something. 

I guess I'd best crack on with Yakuza 6 then!

(Can't wait)

• Upvote 1

I'm also playing Yakuza 5 and absolutely having a blast, it's the most comprehensive, varied game in the series. Got such a wide scope and has managed to hold my interest all the way through so far. I'm just near the end of Haruka's chapter. 

Unfortunately my wife walked in during the grand finale of the Princess League. The look she gave me is one I'll not soon forget. I still won it though.

Decided I'm going to buy either Yakuza 5 or 6. I'm leaning towards 5. The right choice?

How much of the series have you played? I prefer 6 (I reckon I'm in a minority in calling it one of my favourites) as the team getting to grips with the new engine made it more streamlined than the series had become, and Onomichi very quickly placed itself as one of my favourite locations in the series. You can explore in first person too!

24 minutes ago, sdmilne said:

Decided I'm going to buy either Yakuza 5 or 6. I'm leaning towards 5. The right choice?

First Yakuza? Start with Zero. Have you played Zero, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 3 and 4? Then next up is 5 then 6.

If you don't want to do the proper order and only cherry pick the best ones (I do recommend playing them in order though) then Zero, Kiwami 2 and 4 are the must-play best entries.

5 is the worst entry point in the series because it's a fantastic fan service game, a 'best of Yakuza' entry into the series. It's a absolutely brilliant for long-time fans, but terrible as your very first Yakuza game. 6 is the final chapter in the Kiryu saga so obviously save that for last even though it's far better as a stand-alone game than 5. Start with Zero!

Ah sorry should have said. I've actually played 0,3 and 4. So with that in mind I'm guessing 5 makes sense. Thanks for the advice as well.

1 minute ago, sdmilne said:

Ah sorry should have said. I've actually played 0,3 and 4. So with that in mind I'm guessing 5 makes sense. Thanks for the advice as well.

Kiwami 2 would be the one play next if you can swing it, second best entry after Zero, but if that's not an option then yeah 5 first and then 6. 

• Upvote 1

I'm again the voice of dissent, but I wish I had played Kiwami before Zero. 

It's very true that Zero is...the start of the whole thing! But I think it would of worked a lot better having more knowledge of things like the relationship between Kiryu and Nishiki, after all Zero was originally designed to be a prequel which works best with prior knowledge.