rllmuk
womblingfree

All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

I eventually just went chasing the end baddie Benny Hill-style while a gang of tooled-up armoured SWAT mobs formed a swarm behind me. Bit like running away from wasps in Animal Crossing. 

EDIT: Sorry, removed spoiler 

19 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

I eventually just went chasing the end baddie Benny Hill-style while a gang of tooled-up armoured SWAT mobs formed a swarm behind me. Bit like running away from wasps in Animal Crossing. 

EDIT: Sorry, removed spoiler 

I did the same and also thought of Benny Hill.

• Upvote 1

I started Y 3 days ago. The first black person I met in Okinawa...

...spiked my drink with a date rape drug to ransom me, as they were doing with teenage girls.

Slow clap, Japan!

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, BossSaru said:

I started Y 3 days ago. The first black person I met in Okinawa...

Hide contents

...spiked my drink with a date rape drug to ransom me, as they were doing with teenage girls.

Slow clap, Japan!

Everyday life in Japan, surely?

Finished Yakuza 3 today. Got to say my opinion of it pretty much did a 180 during the course of playing it, and I went from being really disappointed with it to absolutely loving it by the end of the game. It's still a primitive thing compared to later entries in the series, and the combat system is definitely problematic what with all the constant blocking, but it's got the same magic and it's still huge fun to play. The main story is surprisingly great, the villains are all extremely memorable and the ending consists of two buff men with no shirts on having an earnest conversation, which is exactly how things should be.

Also: insane amounts of content. I know it's traditional for a Yakuza game but I'd naively thought that given this is perhaps the shortest entry in the series it might be toned down a bit. Nope. I've hardly touched any of the minigames, done none of the coliseum fights, barely dabbled in the weapons modding and found less than half of the substories. I've put considerable time into the hitmen missions (but not finished them), completed one hostess story out of ten and that took bloody ages, and haven't yet managed to entirely eat my way around Japan. Now realistically I'm unlikely to go back to this now I've finished it (when I get the urge to play more Yakuza, I'm going to move on to the later entries) but it's very noticeable how a Yakuza game is never "just another entry in the series", the devs go out of their way to pack every game with unique stuff. You'd have to be a maniac to try and Platinum some of these. (And I'm *never* going to understand Mahjong).

On 14/04/2020 at 22:48, JoeK said:

So, there’s a lot wrong with Yakuza 3 but anything and everything is forgiven because it has possibly the longest and greatest death sequence I’ve ever witnessed in a video game. It’s absolutely Yakuza it’s one of the best things ever.

Man, I love these games.

If I'm thinking of the same scene - yeah, that was the most melodramatic scenes of all time. It STARTS in heightened bromance melodrama mode, and then just... keeps... escalating.

On 15/04/2020 at 12:54, JoeK said:

The voice acting is top tier too, something I don't usually attribute to Japanese games very much. I mean, I don't speak the language and have absolutely no real idea of whether all I'm hearing is high camp from everyone, but for a layman it feels absolutely convincing and throughout all the games I've played so far I've been thoroughly riveted by it all.

"Andre Richardson" in Yakuza 3 made me question the quality of the voice acting! I've always believed the Japanese voice acting was excellent. However (without spoiling too much), when the American character starts talking in cutscenes near the end of Yakuza 3, his voice acting is hilariously bad. It's straight from the early-2000s Resident Evil style. It made me wonder if the Japanese voice acting has always been of similar cheesy quality, and we just can't tell.

26 minutes ago, SqueakyG said:

If I'm thinking of the same scene - yeah, that was the most melodramatic scenes of all time. It STARTS in heightened bromance melodrama mode, and then just... keeps... escalating.

"Andre Richardson" in Yakuza 3 made me question the quality of the voice acting! I've always believed the Japanese voice acting was excellent. However (without spoiling too much), when the American character starts talking in cutscenes near the end of Yakuza 3, his voice acting is hilariously bad. It's straight from the early-2000s Resident Evil style. It made me wonder if the Japanese voice acting has always been of similar cheesy quality, and we just can't tell.

Ah, yes. It balanced out due to the hilarity of everyone trying to pronounce his name though! 

Edit: I did forget about the english speakers in the games for sure. They are definitely crap! But, they do kind of feel somewhat 'normal' in the context of all the other crazy shit these games come up with. Andre Richardson was a colossal pussy though. I'd have loved him to be a constant thorn in Kiryu's side all the way through the game - each time you saw him he'd be more and more 'upgraded' in some useless way and each time you defeated him, there'd be a cut scene of him screaming something and shaking his fist to the sky.

34 minutes ago, SqueakyG said:

I'm hardly fluent in Japanese but I understand enough to follow most of what they're saying, and to me it's very convincing. Although I'm far far better in English, it's likewise not my first language and the English voice acting sounds hilariously bad to me. I think that they simply had access to good Japanese voice actors, directed by a good Japanese director, but had to make do with whatever gaijin they could find at the nearest McDonald's for the English stuff. But in their place I would make the same choice: better to have a native speaker but terrible actor doing the English parts than having a good Japanese actor trying to fake it from a phonetic transcription. And what you said works both ways, if the Japanese voice director barely speaks a lick of English, it's going to be very difficult to judge whether the actor is getting the intonation etc right.

• Upvote 1

This is probably the main explanation for why so much voice acting was terrible in PS1/PS2 era videogames. I remember an interview with the voice actors from Resident Evil 1 and they explained that the director of the voice recording sessions was Japanese and couldn't understand English, so he would ask for line readings that sounded emotionally right to him, with no regard for how crazy it sounded in English.

• Upvote 1

That explains why the "No, dont go!" scene with the helicopter at the start of Resident Evil 1 on the PS sounded a bit ike this:

hqdefault.jpg

There's also the bit when Mine is on the phone at the end of the game where he switches to english after starting with "hello?" in Japanese. Now he's not great at doing it, and I dont know if the actor doing the voice can even speak english, but I thought it was pretty good to be honest.

Have to say, Y5 is fucking amazing

I'd imagine it would certainly be rather impenetrable were this the first one you played, but going through all of 'em sequentially (obv. now starting with Zero) it's just a really superb game. The step up in the combat systems compared to 3 and 4 are clear as day.

Plus anything that ends just the first storyline with...erm...everything it did puts it right up there on my fave things ever.

Magnificent stuff. 

• Upvote 1

I've been replaying it myself, this time just focusing on on the main story to keep it flowing. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the first Part, but I've been really disappointed in Part 2. At least it's playing as Saejima who's combat style is eternally satisfying.

2 minutes ago, Cheyenne said:

I've been replaying it myself, this time just focusing on on the main story to keep it flowing. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the first Part, but I've been really disappointed in Part 2. At least it's playing as Saejima who's combat style is eternally satisfying.

I am slightly nervous about starting Part 2 myself. I didn’t enjoy Saejima’s style as much as the others in Y4, but I did like the character, so hopefully it’ll pan out okay! 

10 hours ago, Cheyenne said:

But Part 2 has the hunting mini game.

• Upvote 1

True! But the opening chapter of it is a mess in its pacing and takes entirely too long to get going compared to Kiryu's. I was in the whole 'image training' segment yesterday and was just begging for it to finish. I must have blanked that stuff from my head before.

The first part of Saejima's story drags quite a bit, agreed, but from the mountain village onwards it really comes into its own. I hated using Saejima in Y4, but here he's great, propelled by the side quest story and how awesome Sapporo is with all the snow statues everywhere. 

The worst part of Saejima's story was the jail stuff. It really started moving when he got out, and I liked the hunting stuff myself.

Weakest part of 5 is the story, as some of the characters seem to be amazing actors (that coliseum fight and dialogue among others), and the last boss just comes out of nowhere. Massive "wtf, this is a bit daft", only to then have the fight be one of the best boss fights in the series.

I love how in Y5 in jail, one guy reminisces so hard that his cellmate is able to actually interact with it. The devs are the masters of just utterly audacious storytelling that just works so well.

• Upvote 2

I lived near Fukuoka for awhile, twenty years ago by now, and that's the first city in Yakuza 5. So I especially loved exploring there with Kiryu and doing all his "let's make some crazy money" side activities! 

But like has been said before, Y5 is brilliant when you've played what has gone before. It really is a "best of Yakuza" (up until that point of course, this was before 0 and 6) with loads of call backs and the craziest amount and variation in side games. Loved it, will definitely play again sometime.

Well, I never knew I'd enjoy being a Japanese pop idol so much! As a window into Japanese culture it's been fantastic :D . 

Still can't get my head around the curious mix of this plus heavy metal that seems to be all the rage in real Japan at the moment (Baby Metal, I'm looking at you), but there we go.

I started Yakuza 4, and it feels amazing to be able to go down into those subway entrances, after playing about 6 of these games with invisible walls there! I was equally amazed to be able to walk into the Volcanic Volcano for the first time... but then pachinko totally mystified me. No clue.

Do you need to manage the hostess clubs in 0?

29 minutes ago, DC said:

Do you need to manage the hostess clubs in 0?

Aside from the story mission there’s no need to carry on with it if you don’t want to.

I nearly accidentally scolded a girl the other day. I’d like the option to beat the shit out of the aggro customers.

How can you not manage the cabaret clubs in Zero? It’s the best bit of the entire game!

• Upvote 7

Oh, I should concede that Saejima's wonky opening chapter in 5 does admittedly have the absolute funniest moment of the entire series. This serious, contemplative man belting out Rouge of Love is high art.

3 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

How can you not manage the cabaret clubs in Zero? It’s the best bit of the entire game!

Having that play in Kiwami as you walk next to hostess clubs was a nice touch :wub:

Also Kiwami 2 down to a juicy 13 quid, which is the lowest yet according to psprices!