All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

I forgot to say - in Yakuza 3 the pool minigame seems broken. It seems the physics are all wrong and you can't trust the accuracy of your shots. Some people say it's a bug introduced in the remaster, perhaps a result of the increased resolution or framerate.

There's also an utterly infuriating single music track playing at the bar, which literally just repeats the lyrics: "Over and over"... over and over.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the pool thing is the same in 5 apparently, with the line not accurately portraying where the ball is going to go. Found that infuriating doing Shinada's batting master missions, as one was to beat the opponent on intermediate difficulty at 9 ball. Got it, but it was a massive combination of luck and trying desperately to calculate where the balls were going to go, which thanks to the issue mentioned, could have been for nothing.

4 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

I forgot to say - in Yakuza 3 the pool minigame seems broken. It seems the physics are all wrong and you can't trust the accuracy of your shots. Some people say it's a bug introduced in the remaster, perhaps a result of the increased resolution or framerate.

There's also an utterly infuriating single music track playing at the bar, which literally just repeats the lyrics: "Over and over"... over and over.

But that song is fucking amazing?

8-)

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Yeah, the pool thing is the same in 5 apparently, with the line not accurately portraying where the ball is going to go. Found that infuriating doing Shinada's batting master missions, as one was to beat the opponent on intermediate difficulty at 9 ball. Got it, but it was a massive combination of luck and trying desperately to calculate where the balls were going to go, which thanks to the issue mentioned, could have been for nothing.

Oh thank God it’s a bug. I thought I’d suddenly got massively crap at pool or something. I’m the end I had to wait for the opponent to accidentally sink the 8-ball.

Came across this beautiful bit of Yakuza 4 soundtrack last night when resolving one of Tanimura’s major substories:

*Chef’s kiss*

Really ended up enjoying playing as Tanimura. As you open up his fighting style he becomes great fun to play as which is odd, since I really struggled with him before he started levelling up. One of my favourite fighting styles in the series.

• Upvote 1

Tanimura > Shinada in my opinion. Rather have a guy who can evade like a pro and have crazy chain throws than some scrub who's only good with weapons.

God help me when I get to *that* final substory.

11 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

But that song is fucking amazing?

8-)

Eff me, that absolute banger has just made me reappraise my whole opinion of the Yakuza series. They are all masterworks!. 

• Upvote 1

Man, I'd forgotten what fun Kiwami was. I think coming so soon off the back of Zero didn't do it many favours, as that one is kind of the definitive 'all you can eat' Yakuza experience in many ways, but the whole ending sequence is just so much fun. Hilarious, exhilarating, bonkers and just plain wonderful.

To celebrate my completion of it, and impending fun time with Kiwami 2, here's a cool snapshot...

20200405193748_1.thumb.jpg.23d2424aac7a29d9f0623e188d3f6d1b.jpg

Obviously, there are times all these games look decidedly ropey, but there are plenty more when they really are gorgeous too!

• Upvote 2

The problem with Kiwami 1 is the combat, as the enemies just turtle way too much. I enjoyed the story and everything else, but it was soured somewhat by that.

Kiwami 2...Now there's a fantastic combat system, and when Kiryu is upgraded enough, he's a monster, despite the loss of Beast style and the other fighting stances. Zero and Kiwami 2 are easily my 2 favourite Yakuza games.

I went back to Kiwami this week. For some reason I drifted away from both this and Zero at the halfway point, before coming back and loving them again. 

I've been really enjoying the combat too, especially the extended sections when you're fighting your way through a whole building or something.

14 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

The problem with Kiwami 1 is the combat, as the enemies just turtle way too much.

Yakuza 3 says hi.

That said, 3 is growing on me. It's still janky as hell, the combat's really basic, and Kiryu looks like he's wearing a fat suit, but there's real heart and charm in there and it's getting more interesting as it opens up.

For those that have played the remasters, are 4 and 5 a step up technically? I know they've got more content but I'm hoping they're more polished in general than this.

I don't know how the remasters are, but 4 was a big step up from 3 iirc. 3 was both their first attempt at a PlayStation 3 game and the first proper sandbox Yakuza - ie, a big open environment instead of small isometric areas broken up by loading screens on PS2, and a third person perspective instead of a static isometric camera. They got the the tech down as the series moved along.

I've never played a Yakuza game, but I see that Zero is on Gamepass.

Based on the thread title, I should just download and play that, right?

• Upvote 1

I have some history with the Yakuza games before jumping into this this gen. 

I had played Y1 with the sweary dub and Mark Hamill as Majima... then I played about 50% of Yakuza 3 on PS3...so I defo wasn't going in completely blind. 

I played Y Zero, and really enjoyed it, but I felt that it felt it's length, and a lot of the fleshed out activities, I just kinda ignored - which might be on me - and b-lined the main story a bit. I thought it was good but..yeah. 

I recently finished Yakuza Kiwami and I loved it. Maybe because it was a bit familiar being a remake of a game I'd already finished when I was younger... or - imo - it showed me the world of Yakuza a lot better than I felt Y Zero did. It was far easier to slip into it all and drink it in I felt. 

This is not common opinion - at all - but I would have rather started with Yakuza Kiwami and THEN moved onto Yakuza Zero as Yakuza Zero feels like a bigger and more fleshed out sequel to Kiwami. I feel it plays better with some more knowledge and feel of the world that you're stepping into. 

It's a weird one, because YK was made after YZ, but I do feel YZ plays it's best with some knowledge of the games already. I'm replaying YZ and having a way better time of it. 

Man, I’m finding the changes in combat for Kiwami 2 are more than I remembered. The first encounter with the blonde mean chap is absolute carnage for me at the moment.

Plus, I’m not a fan of the way the physics engine renders Kiryu a wobbling mass of jelly every time he pummels me.

Just switched off in frustration and really need to read the instructions a bit ;)

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Yakuza 3 says hi.

That said, 3 is growing on me. It's still janky as hell, the combat's really basic, and Kiryu looks like he's wearing a fat suit, but there's real heart and charm in there and it's getting more interesting as it opens up.

For those that have played the remasters, are 4 and 5 a step up technically? I know they've got more content but I'm hoping they're more polished in general than this.

Yeah, I've lumped kiwami and 3 together earlier in the thread as well for this reason. Also Kiryu has big arms and hands in both 3 and 4 for some reason, and just looks weird. Glad they changed the engine in 5, if only for this.

4 is the same engine as 3, but the combat is waaaaaay better, with way less turtling nonsense, and I enjoyed it a lot more as a result. Story's better too in my opinion. 4 is easily the best so far of the remasters in a gameplay sense anyway, as all the characters have unique, and fun, fighting styles that do a decent amount of damage to enemies, and it has some of the most strategic equipment (armour etc) in Yakuza, as you can make some characters immune to certain attacks by equipping 3 of the same type of item - 3x wooden armour items makes you immune to bullets for example, if you finish the completion requirements for the items of course, meaning some enemies can be a walk in the park in late game.

I'm currently near the end of 5, and its not been too bad, though I'm not a fan of Shinada, much prefer 4's Tanimura. His attacks are too slow and easily blocked as a result, and if you dont get some weapons he's pretty rubbish, apart from some of his throws, which are still not as good as they could be. The Coliseum in 5 is terrible though.....only game I've not bothered with it past the initial few rounds - why do even the normal enemies there have like 5 health bars?!? :facepalm: The levelling system is something I do not like either, as with the addition of the breakthrough mechanic, you're stuck at 20 for way too long, meaning a lot of wasted exp until around the final chapter - bit of a bad decision here, and I hope it isnt present in any other Yakuza game again.

Anyway, the game's pretty good, and there's a lot of content there with the multiple characters (5 characters, compared to the previous' 4), though one of those characters doesnt have a side story admittedly. I'm a bit of a completionist when it comes to doing all the side missions and its taking a long time to get through. You certainly get value out of 5 in terms of content.

My favourite part is, oddly, the thing I thought I would like the least - Haruka's dance battles. I cant be the only one that thinks the music used in them is some of the best in the series, surely?!? Levelling Haruka to 25 is the only time grinding for exp wont feel too tedious as a result.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I have some history with the Yakuza games before jumping into this this gen. 

I had played Y1 with the sweary dub and Mark Hamill as Majima... then I played about 50% of Yakuza 3 on PS3...so I defo wasn't going in completely blind. 

I played Y Zero, and really enjoyed it, but I felt that it felt it's length, and a lot of the fleshed out activities, I just kinda ignored - which might be on me - and b-lined the main story a bit. I thought it was good but..yeah. 

I recently finished Yakuza Kiwami and I loved it. Maybe because it was a bit familiar being a remake of a game I'd already finished when I was younger... or - imo - it showed me the world of Yakuza a lot better than I felt Y Zero did. It was far easier to slip into it all and drink it in I felt. 

This is not common opinion - at all - but I would have rather started with Yakuza Kiwami and THEN moved onto Yakuza Zero as Yakuza Zero feels like a bigger and more fleshed out sequel to Kiwami. I feel it plays better with some more knowledge and feel of the world that you're stepping into. 

It's a weird one, because YK was made after YZ, but I do feel YZ plays it's best with some knowledge of the games already. I'm replaying YZ and having a way better time of it. 

The Yakuza games are weird, in that you slog through the generic main story to unlock more  side stories, which is where all the fun and silliness is. 

27 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

The Yakuza games are weird, in that you slog through the generic main story to unlock more  side stories, which is where all the fun and silliness is. 

I’ve read you say that before in this thread I think... and I just have to really strongly disagree. The main story for me is the main draw! and it’s excellent and silly and melodramatic and amazing, I especially found in YK. 
Don't get me wrong, the side missions are beautifully daft and great, but for me they’re palette cleansers to the main attraction.  

Another random Yakuza 3 observation: the game suddenly looks much better once you get to Kamurocho. It looks and feels much more like Yakuza Kiwami now.

I can't work out why: whether it's the darker colour scheme flattering the PS3-era graphics more, whether there's been a lot more work put into Kamurocho than into Ryukyu, or whether I'm simply adjusting to the graphics the more I play. Probably all three.

I absolutely loved 0 on Xbox it was my first Yakuza game and it really got its hooks in me. Kiwami 1 and 2 are coming at some point soon to Game Pass. Should I lower my expectations for them as they are remakes of the first two games ? Not sure what I should be expecting after 0.

Lower your expectations for Kiwami 1, definitely - it's a lot simpler than 0, the side stories in particular are much more basic. There's no harm in just blasting through it for the story if that's what you want to do. I did really enjoy it though and spent more time with it than I initially expected.

Kiwami 2 is awesome though, brand new engine, lots of changes, much more in line with 0. I still think 0 is the best but Kiwami 1 and 2 are definitely a good time.

• Upvote 1

@Orion expect more Yakuza goodness! As a remake of 1, Kiwami 1 is the least 'absurd/crazy' but Kiwami 2 is already batshit in the best possible way. Every Yakuza game is ludicrously epic and dramatic btw, that's just how those games are - even 1 - so you'll have a good time, guaranteed! 

Look at it this way, you tasted the best hamburger in the world and now you're going to taste other top 6 best best hamburgers ever made. It might not be number 1, but the second or third best hamburger ever made is still definitely worth eating!

• Upvote 1

Kiwami 2 is just ridiculously good. Kiwami 1 is solid enough, in fact I ended up playing it for far longer than I’d planned to at the outset, mopping up side stories and mini games. It does help to go in with lower expectations though, no doubt. No need to do that with Kiwami 2, it’s fucking great. Completely different standards to Kiwami 1.

• Upvote 1

I played my first few hours of zero last night on my One X - first Yakuza game I've ever played. I was hooked from the karaoke scene!

It's all felt very on the rails so far - I've just finished chapter 1. I did manage to win a few prizes on the claw game and play a bit of space harrier though. The CRT filter they'd implemented was surprisingly good.

I imagine it'll open up more shortly, but so far I'm loving the vibe of it all.

• Upvote 1

Finished Yakuza 5 last night. The story has a few plot holes, and story wise the last boss is a massive wtf, but gameplay wise it was the bees knees. The last fight with that soundtrack playing was pretty amazing. In fact the soundtrack in this is pretty damn good, almost up there with Kiwami 2 and Zero, in part thanks to the dance battle tunes.

Obviously the ending was tarnished somewhat by knowing 6 exists, but its got me umming and ahhing over whether to jump into 6 or play something else first to take a short break from Yakuza related antics.

Also have Judgment and Fist of the North Star to look forward to at some point. Hopefully by the time I've played those 7 will be out in the west.

• Upvote 1