rllmuk
womblingfree

All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

And Yakuza Kiwami 2 finished. As an overall package, much better than Kiwami in my opinion, as the combat system didnt feel as cheap as in Kiwami, with enemies not turtling anywhere near as much, and the sidestories are far better, being more comedic like Yakuza 0 rather than in Kiwami, where they were mostly serious, main story related. Less Haruka was a plus too, as I found her really annoying in Kiwami 1, but that may be just me.

The Majima story was also good, though I would have liked to be able to level Majima up like Kiryu, though I can see why this wasnt done.

May have to get the Yakuza collection at some point - are 3, 4 and 5 any good? I know they're only remasters of the original PS3 games, so wont look as good as zero or the kiwami's (or 6), but are the stories any good and is the combat massively different from the previous games?

@Mr Ben Kiwami 1 is a remake of the very first gane, as such they were still figuring out what worked and what didn't back then. They immediately struck gold with the second effort though, as you've noticed! Kiwami 2 is a remake of the second game, so although 3, 4, and 5 won't look as good visually because they're remastered PS3 games, in terms of story and design they follow on from 2. You may prefer 2 - a lot of people do - but 3, 4, and 5 are of a similar quality in storytelling and side-quest crazy fun terms. If you loved 0 and 2, you'll love the rest! 1/Kiwami 1 is the only weak one of the main series.  Zero will remain your favorite probably, it's the best one and they made it after 5, but you'll have a blast. Play 6 after the HD collection, you'll experience the epic Kiryu saga in chronological order that way. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cheyenne said:

4 is the essential one of the series for me, though it undoubtedly is best experienced having played the 3 that come before it.

I've just completed 4 and it's absolutely bloody brilliant. 

• Upvote 1

I bought 4 on PS3 in a sale ages ago. I bought 0 in a sale on PS4 less ages ago. I've played neither. Assuming I actually do get round to playing them both, and assuming I buy no others, which should I start with? I know the thread title says 0, but will it jar going back to an older system, and potentially older gameplay mechanisms? Or is the best option just to sack off 4 on the PS3 entirely and just rebuy it in a sale on PS4 and maybe at some point find the time to play 0 in the interim. 

Start with 0 and see if you like it. It is the best introduction, much better than any of the PS3 games. You have 0 now, just install it and give it a go.

If you enjoy 0 you can just play all of em in order on that console, which is 0, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong (and someone did, thanks @Cheyenne@gossi the dog and @Mr. Gerbik)

0 and Kiwami 1 were cross-gen in Japan running on the old engine.

Kiwami 2 and 6 are full fledged PS4 games meaning they both use the Yakuza 6 engine.

3, 4 and 5 are simple remasters of the PS3 version.

• Upvote 2

4 has four separate playable characters, each with a slightly different fighting style to each other. Arguably the whole style swapping from 0 found its genesis here, though of course you only get one style per character. It's shorter than 0 too by a noticeable amount, and is helped by it being split across four characters instead of two. I would argue it holds up best of all the mainline games, and is still easily playable today.

1 minute ago, df0 said:

Start with 0 and see if you like it. It is the best introduction, much better than any of the PS3 games.

If you enjoy 0 you can just play all of em in order on that console, which is 0, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong:

0, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2 and 6 and full fledged PS4 games meaning they all use the Yakuza 6 engine.

0 and Kiwami were cross-gen games in Japan, and were the final games to use the old engine.

2 minutes ago, df0 said:

Start with 0 and see if you like it. It is the best introduction, much better than any of the PS3 games.

0, Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2 and 6 and full fledged PS4 games meaning they all use the Yakuza 6 engine.

Wasn't Zero also released on PS3? Zero and Kiwami use a different engine to Kiwami 2 and 6. They run at 60FPS whilst the latter two at half that.

3, 4 and 5 are indeed remasters. They're running at a slightly higher resolution (1080p) and at a higher frame rate (60FPS) than the PS3 versions.

I think it's worth noting as well that the remaster of Yakuza 4 has recast the actor who played Tanimura, I believe because the original actor has retired and was unable to come back and re-record lines. I can be a bit of a purist for original releases and will likely dodge the remasters due to this (as I already have the original copies)...

...unless Kazuma gets confirmed as DLC for Smash Bros and the series comes to Switch.

godfather-2.gif

26 minutes ago, stefcha said:

I bought 4 on PS3 in a sale ages ago. I bought 0 in a sale on PS4 less ages ago. I've played neither. Assuming I actually do get round to playing them both, and assuming I buy no others, which should I start with? I know the thread title says 0, but will it jar going back to an older system, and potentially older gameplay mechanisms? Or is the best option just to sack off 4 on the PS3 entirely and just rebuy it in a sale on PS4 and maybe at some point find the time to play 0 in the interim. 

4 is fantastic and my favourite until Zero came along. It doesn't really work as well on its own as Zero does however. Even if you buy no others ever again, play Zero fist because it works even as an introduction to 4 in a weird way - you'd at least know what the series is about and who some people are before starting 4.

14 minutes ago, df0 said:

Zero and Kiwami 1 both use the Zero engine, which was a tarted up (but lovely) version of the PS3 engine running at a silky smooth 60FPS. Zero was a cross-platform game in Japan, came out on both PS3 and 4. Kiwami 1 used that engine. 6 featured a brand new engine, developed for PS4 instead of being cross-gen, and that's the one Kiwami 2 uses.

Kiwami 1 and 2 are both complete remakes using a different engine than the PS2 originals which used isometric/static camera angles and stuff, had to load each background in separately!

3 is where the series moved to PS3 and to the 3rd person perspective  behind Kiryu you all know and love, and where the environment became a proper 3D sandbox. 3, 4, 5 on the PS4 are a remasters of the original games - not remakes - which means a higher resolution and a bit of a polish here and there, but otherwise the same games. Also, the same team that localizes Yakuza from Zero onwards re-translated the English versions of these three games, and Yakuza 3 HD features a boatload of content that was cut out of the original English release because Sega back then thought it was 'too Japanese' and we would not be able to understand what was going on.

• Upvote 2

Will definitely be grabbing the collection at some point in the future, but I have so many games to play at the moment its ridiculous.

I also really want the two Yakuza games set in fuedal Japan - Ishin and Kenzan, and apparently its been hinted that the PS3 title (Kenzan) may be getting a Kiwami remake, which may also mean we'd get an english sub. Fingers crossed!

• Upvote 1

Funny, I opened this thread to talk about my renewed hope that an Ishin translation will happen, as the subject just came up in conversation with @Bennytoday. With 3, 4 and 5 being ported/tweaked and SEGAs trust in the series clearly cemented I hope we do see it. But hell yeah, I'd like to see a Kenzan Kiwami-esque overhaul first, to play them in the right order. My one concern is that the PS5 is out at the end of 2020 and I'd like the PS4 live long enough to see that Ishin translation actually be released, as I could see it being delayed by a Kenzan remaster existing. At least it'd only need a translation and no massive rework.

I had no idea it existed before but now that I know there is essentially a Yojimbo: the Game I must hook it into my veins.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Benny said:

I had no idea it existed before but now that I know there is essentially a Yojimbo: the Game I must hook it into my veins.

The original Way of the Samurai on PS2 was exactly that. A travelling ronin walks into a small village that is terrorized by opposing factions. In the game you can choose who to side with and how to resolve it all. I remember there being a bazillion endings depending on what you did and when. 

But even so, I would love to finally play the Yakuza Yojimbo games! :omg:

On 09/12/2019 at 14:46, Cheyenne said:

I think it's worth noting as well that the remaster of Yakuza 4 has recast the actor who played Tanimura, I believe because the original actor has retired and was unable to come back and re-record lines.

That's curious. I thought these remasters were straightforward enough that they wouldn't need to bring the actors back to re-record lines. They're just PS3 ports. I know that Yakuza 3 had some 'problematic' content cut, and the games have been re-localised into English. But I wonder what needed extra Japanese voice acting? Enough to replace an actor because he couldn't come back? Edit: they've done a whole facial replacement on the character too, and the previous actor retired due to "allegations about his personal life", so it's very probably another drugs 'cancelling'.

• Upvote 1

My first thought too. Will the original excellent Yakuza 4 voicework be redone, therefore opening up the possibility of it being worse? Maybe 4 got content cut that I'm not aware of, and given the voice actor wasn't around to voice the new stuff they had to redo the rest of the game to match...?

It might just be a cut and recast job, but that's something that rankles me as 4 is one of my favourite games and I have a lot of fond memories of it. Maybe I now finally understand what those Star Wars fans have been talking about.

I doubt it will be 'worse', but it's going to be weird seeing a different actor representing the character. I'm somewhat curious as to whether it will mesh uncomfortably with the rest of the game.

I've started Yakuza 0. I'm not really getting what's good about it, the fighting system seems mashy and weightless, the story is slow and stilted - side quests even moreso, but with added plain weird - minigames are just kind of there for no apparent reason, you can buy all-sorts and play all sorts but none of it seems to particularly hang together without much point to it, everything feels disconnected like almost interactive but not fully joined up. Hard to put my finger on it.

So far I'd say it feels a bit like Sleeping Dogs except nowhere near as good. Does it pick up a bit? I am only partway into chapter 2.

15 minutes ago, Benny said:

There are only two types of people: those who love Yakuza 0 and those who haven't played it yet. I'm not sure what you are.

The third type is the person who thinks it’s rubbish when they get to chapter 2 and then gets to the end of chapter 3 and realises just how wrong they were. 

• Upvote 2

I finished 0 a few days ago. I can honestly say it’s up there as one of the best games I’ve ever played, probably top 5. I spent 81 hours and had 72% completion and enjoyed every minute from beginning to end. Everything just worked for me, the combat, the humour, the mini games, the characters and the story. 

Started Kiwami yesterday and liking it so far. That fight at the end of the funeral was fucking stupid though, took me a good 20 mins on normal difficulty, I wasn’t at risk of dying due to having a few potions but was doing almost no damage to him. Tried all styles and every move I had available. Burned through all the weapons I had purchased on the way there too. My arm was aching afterwards from so much button pressing. Either I missed something or it was just silly. If there are any more fights like that then I’ll be knocking it down to easy. 

No, that’s a one-off. If you’ve unlocked the right moves before that then it’s a doddle, most people won’t have and it’s a slog. The rest of the game is much more straightforward.