All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

As has been said Yakuza 0 is the perfect place to start and then Yakuza Kiwami after that.  Yakuza Kiwami is a great remake but the game will feel more like an expansion to 0 for a few various reasons after having played 0.

Looking forward to Kiwami 2 a lot, shipped today from Simplygames woooooooooo! (though I have family responsibilities tomorrow even if it does arrive, bleh :angry: )

4 hours ago, mr_woo said:

As has been said Yakuza 0 is the perfect place to start and then Yakuza Kiwami after that.  Yakuza Kiwami is a great remake but the game will feel more like an expansion to 0 for a few various reasons after having played 0.

Looking forward to Kiwami 2 a lot, shipped today from Simplygames woooooooooo! (though I have family responsibilities tomorrow even if it does arrive, bleh :angry: )

I’m away this weekend :(

Since reading the Streets Of Rage 4 thread I've been racking my brains trying to think of the minigame in one of the middle-aged Yaks (I'm thinking #3 or 4) which was basically a rudimentary sidescrolling beat-em-up. I'm not sure if it was a Club Sega game or not but web searches are giving me nothing.

Did I imagine it? Help me out please! 

23 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Since reading the Streets Of Rage 4 thread I've been racking my brains trying to think of the minigame in one of the middle-aged Yaks (I'm thinking #3 or 4) which was basically a rudimentary sidescrolling beat-em-up. I'm not sure if it was a Club Sega game or not but web searches are giving me nothing.

Did I imagine it? Help me out please! 

Nah not Boxcelios (thanks though). You have jogged my memory though, I think it was something to do with the guy who was a ripoff of Doc from Back To The Future, a simulation or something he was working on? 

Edit: actually nah that wasn't it either, that was the VR 'sim' where you were just beating up a training bot in a normal 3D environment. This is going to annoy me now :hmm:

12 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Nah not Boxcelios (thanks though). You have jogged my memory though, I think it was something to do with the guy who was a ripoff of Doc from Back To The Future, a simulation or something he was working on? 

Edit: actually nah that wasn't it either, that was the VR 'sim' where you were just beating up a training bot in a normal 3D environment. This is going to annoy me now :hmm:

One of them (i cant remember which one unfortunately, i think it was 4 or 5, possibly the one where kiryu drove a taxi) did have the doc brown guy making you do a side scrolling beat em up in his training machine in a 2D enviroment, which was a bit different from his 'usual' training thing.

Yessssssss. It was Y5. Thanks!

On a related note I bloody loved that section of the game. Living in a little city, driving my taxi, sending money to the orphanage and going back to my crappy little flat at the end of each day. Brilliant. :wub:

This video shows how the new PS4 port of Yakuza 3 looks in Japan, and how it's likely to be the "cut" of the game that gets used for all international markets. They have removed a couple of things from the Japanese version:  the Japanese quiz minigame, one substory that has an offensive representation of a trans person, and a very minor graphic had a "rising sun" flag motif that has been altered to something else so that it won't offend other Asian countries that get angry about it.

Since the Japanese quiz would have been just fine in the Japanese release, the speculation is that they've created one overall version of the PS4 release that will not need any further modification in international markets (except for translation, obviously). This means if/when we get Yakuza 3 over here it should have all content except the Japanese quiz, offensive trans substory, and rising sun graphics. 

Interestingly enough, the offensive trans substory was included in the Western release last time... but it's obvious to see why it's not as acceptable now. Kiryu even calls the person "it". Oh my.

Yeah the Michiru sidequest was cut from the Yakuza 3 remaster.  They even said at the time of the remaster announcements (as in Sega/RGG Studio) it would need some changes due to different social attitudes now in Japan and over the years Kiryu as a character has become more accepting/progressive.  Whilst I'm not a fan of stuff being cut I can completely understand why, hell if you get caught by Michiru during one of the chases (they are all chase sidequests) you have Kiryu panting hold himself up against a wall with both hands going "That was worse than anything in the joint"

1 hour ago, SqueakyG said:

and a very minor graphic had a "rising sun" flag motif that has been altered to something else so that it won't offend other Asian countries that get angry about it.

For the rest of Asia which had to put up with Japanese war atrocities and the subsequent lack of acknowledgement of such things by successive governments in Japan, the minor thing you refer to is still a deep and active festering wound, it might as well be the flag of the Deutsches Reich/Weimar Republic...

As an aside, in pot calling kettle black Israel levels of history repeating itself, the Chinese government is engaged in a concerted effort to whitewash its past too, while at the same time looking to dig up historical evidence of Japanese war crimes, the world keeps on turning.

"Minor" in terms of the size of the graphic. I think it's a pin used by one of the Yakuza families. Unless it pops up at the start of battles, it might not even be seen by anyone. It is changed nevertheless.

Oh yes, the Japanese definitely had a turn as the extreme baddies for about 100 years of their history.

Never heard of these games before but heard good things about yakuza zero so i bought it a few weeks back and......wow im in love with this game ,the mini games are so fun and strange i just love it the voice acting is amazing i love the sound of kuze??? And both the main guys are memorable especially goro majima hes probably my favourite character ever made.....ever:wub::wub:

Plz tell me this is the worst of the series and the rest are far far better?????

General consensus is that 0 is the best. I personally prefer quite a few to it, but 0 also feels quite different in terms of its characters and story to the others. There's a serious amount of continuity in the series, and it pays to work through each title if you're really invested in the characters.

On 10/09/2018 at 14:02, SqueakyG said:

This video shows how the new PS4 port of Yakuza 3 looks in Japan, and how it's likely to be the "cut" of the game that gets used for all international markets. They have removed a couple of things from the Japanese version:  the Japanese quiz minigame, one substory that has an offensive representation of a trans person, and a very minor graphic had a "rising sun" flag motif that has been altered to something else so that it won't offend other Asian countries that get angry about it.

Since the Japanese quiz would have been just fine in the Japanese release, the speculation is that they've created one overall version of the PS4 release that will not need any further modification in international markets (except for translation, obviously). This means if/when we get Yakuza 3 over here it should have all content except the Japanese quiz, offensive trans substory, and rising sun graphics. 

Interestingly enough, the offensive trans substory was included in the Western release last time... but it's obvious to see why it's not as acceptable now. Kiryu even calls the person "it". Oh my.

Offensive trans substory?

If you've spent any time with a Yakuza title you'd see evidence of every walk of life represented in an 'offensive' manner.

Why can't people just appreciate the quirky humour and enjoy or simply not play the game.

1 hour ago, Harmunt said:

Offensive trans substory?

If you've spent any time with a Yakuza title you'd see evidence of every walk of life represented in an 'offensive' manner.

Why can't people just appreciate the quirky humour and enjoy or simply not play the game.

Kiryu also screams offensive things at "it".

You seem to be missing out on the whole making light of male rape part as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2018 at 11:55, SqueakyG said:

It was such a chore too. The Dragon engine has a photo mode to make it easy, but Zero and Kiwami don't -- you can't even move with the first-person view, and I had to turn off the minimap, which means I couldn't see street gangs. And the street gangs were constantly interrupting me! I'd spend up to a minute finely adjusting my position to match the angle for a shot, only to be interruped by a gang. Also: fuck Majima Everywhere.

Isn't there a no encounter item (Beads of Good Fortune?) you could have equiped?