NFL/NCAA American Football – Thread for experts and newcomers alike

Its a shame Espn couldn't get the full rights really as the studio bits during Sky's coverage is pretty dreadful. I am still pleased to see its on somewhere though, Espn America better be showing the countdown show still as well as Chris Berman and his croaky voice always keeps me entertained for the 3 hours of over the top hype and build up.

Thank God for the NFL, with the NHL lockout being a real possibility I can throw myself into the American Football season.

I'm in four fantasy leagues, two pick'em leagues and a Survivor/Suicide Pool:

• Pick one team each week that you think will win
  • If the football team you pick loses, you get eliminated from the pool
  • Pool ends when there is one player left who survives the longest!
  • That's it!

Fantastic. Can't wait for tomorrow evening!

Fooootballl!!

Can't get my head round the CFL and the structure of college football drives me to distraction. The term 'strength of schedule' :omg:

Any predictions then?

Steelers have had a quiet off season for once, other than Wallace holding out.

Finally booted the offensive co-ordinator, but replaced him with oddball Haley. Interesting to see how it plays out. Arians seemed to be hanged out to dry for not playing 'Steeler' football. I don't think this was his fault, its not a pound 'em running league anymore. What he fell down on was how predictable he was. I watch every Steelers game, i'm not a professor of the sport but I know schemes and in certain situations you know what people want and try to do. You really could predict a high percentage of his calls. We seemed to get by because Ben could scramble and make a play on the fly, but that's not smart football.

Strange scheduling for us too this year. Play the Ravens in week 13 and 15 (from memory), should be fun.

I really should get game pass. I'd like to watch the game from behind the quarterback. the traditional angle from the side makes the running gaps harder to see and if they throw the long ball you can't see any runner past ten yards of the line of scrimmage. When the analysts show you whats happened on a snap, its always from behind the qb...seems strange not to show the game from that perspective.

I'd also like Newton to have another good year, just to annoy everyone who gets on his back.

So most of the TV news has been late but it actually sounds pretty good for the coming year.

First we found out Channel 4 are getting Nat Coombs and Mike Carlson back together for one Sunday night game each week. Live and available on 4OD. Link.

Then Sky tell us they'll be showing two Sunday night games each week as well as all the playoff games and of course the Super Bowl. Link.

Now we get even more great news, the BBC will be showing Monday Night Football all season on the Red Button and online. Link.

I started watching the NFL last year and really enjoyed it, so am looking forward to my first full season. I still don't know much about the finer intracacies regarding formations, plays, etc. but it's such a great spectacle it almost doesn't matter.

Still I hope the 49ers (I picked them randomly out of a hat, not because last year they had their first decent season in ages, honest :eyebrows:) are able to move forward this year. If Smith can fully free himself from his 'game-manager' shackles, the new WRs bed themselves in quickly, and the defense keeps as tight as it was last year, we could go all the way.

As an aside, anyone going to the game in London this year? Got myself a ticket, can't wait!

Resurgent Dolphins fan back for my second season of born-again Dolphin following. Thanks to whoever recommended Hard Knocks to me a while back...and then it only goes and turns out they followed the Dolphins this pre-season! So, with every Dolphins game downloaded and watched last season, and Hard Knocks absorbed through my eyeballs, I really feel like I know my team this year...

...Oh fuck, were fucked!

Going to be fun though! Last season we had so many "almost" games. If we could just turn a few of those around this time...you never know. I've got a tiny, optimistic part of me that's expecting the Dolphins to squeak into the playoffs.

Watch out for Javorski Lane. He's gonna run you over.

Resurgent Dolphins fan back for my second season of born-again Dolphin following. Thanks to whoever recommended Hard Knocks to me a while back...and then it only goes and turns out they followed the Dolphins this pre-season! So, with every Dolphins game downloaded and watched last season, and Hard Knocks absorbed through my eyeballs, I really feel like I know my team this year...

...Oh fuck, were fucked!

Going to be fun though! Last season we had so many "almost" games. If we could just turn a few of those around this time...you never know. I've got a tiny, optimistic part of me that's expecting the Dolphins to squeak into the playoffs.

Watch out for Javorski Lane. He's gonna run you over.

I remember him from Texas A&M, he graduated like 4 years ago where's he been between then and now?

I remember him from Texas A&M, he graduated like 4 years ago where's he been between then and now?

Nobody would take him cos he was a lard-arse. But one of his old coaches, now at the Dolphins said to him if he got his weight to a certain point, he'd do all he could for him to get him on a team. Three years later, he slimmed down, went to Dolphin camp and scraped through onto the roster. Not seen a huge amount of him, but he's a bit of a steam train if he gets going. Secret weapon, I'm hoping.

BELIEVE

20120818__xBRONCOS_SEAHAWKS_AO2557~p1.jpg

The Broncos have a real chance this season

This is a potential disaster IMO

If the Broncos play like the did last year rely on their running game, defense and use Manning to compliment that and keep defenses from putting 8 or even 9 in the box like they did last year then Broncos will be a very dangerous team.

What i actually think will happen is they try to cater to much to Manning trying to recreate to Colts offense in years past forgetting that he's a year removed from football with a completely new team.

The Broncos won in spite of Tebow not cause if him and with Manning they've turned that weakness into a strength. If they remember that and keep doing what they're good at they'll be good, if not they're a one and done wildcard team

Watching Texas A&M/Florida a little surprised A&M is having such a good showing considering they didn't have the week 1 game to work the kinks out.

Hating that the Longhorns game starts so late, that i kinda hate that with football season in general specially since the Cowboys never seem to get the early slots on sundays and Big XII games always seem to start late. Moving back to the US next year so it's going to be really nice to be able to waste a full afternoon watching football instead of spending it waiting for football to start. I'll probably end up having to record the longhorns game and watch tomorrow while i wait for the NFL games to start, but i know how weak i am first thing in the morning i'll go on ESPN to check the score, happens every time