NFL/NCAA American Football – Thread for experts and newcomers alike

Rex Grossman

Yeah there was an incidental face mask, though it happened before the ball arrived, I think. I believe the DB could have still played the ball not the man. One possible pen wasn't called, the other was. Then with no explanation the good call was taken back. Poor officiating however you look at it.

Agree with the Suh sentiment though. Shouldn't have been on the pitch after the Rodgers stamp.

The Receiver initiated the contact, the ball was under thrown and therefor un catchable there was plenty of reasons why it wasn't PI, had it simply not been called to begin with I don't think to many people outside of Detroit would have a problem with it, same if they had just picked up the flag without calling it. They called it and then picked up the flag is the part I don't agree with if you call it you be forced to stick with it. Just make calls reviewable problem solved

Its not uncommon for the head judge to pick a flag up and say why it wasn't a foul (particular hochuli). If they'd have done that and explained about the face mask there wouldn't be this uproar. I'm hoping the head judge didn't see it thrown and picked up.

If you read any American forum they really do believe the league is fixed. I thought it was just the usual homerism but its rampant.

To many cheap calls against dallas in the first half to call it a fix.

The refs have explained it but they should have done it during the game. The line judge closest to the play said their wasn't enough contact to warrant a PI.

Personally I thought the call was cheap when they made it and even worse when they showed the replay, but then again I am pretty bias here

So. Early predictions for next week:

Patriots (just) over Ravens.

Broncos (easily) over Colts.

Cowboys (just) over Packers (but I really hope not).

Seahawks (easily) over Panthers.

I'm going with Patriots, Broncos, Seahawks and then as long as Rodgers recovers from his calf injury I'm going with the Packers.

On another note, who's your pick for MVP? Seems to be a bit of a two-horse race. I'm a bit torn - Rodgers had a great season, but on the other hand I don't think any single player scared opponents shitless as much as JJ Watt, and his makeshift Tight End cameos were great too.

I'd kind of like Watt to get it this season I think, but either is very deserving.

Wins and losses have to count Houston is home watching the playoffs while Rodgers is playing in them. Without Rodgers the Packers are a 5 win team he's easily the MVP. Watts presence doesn't translate to wins the same way Rodgers does

Rubbish. We might as well hand it to the super bowl winning QB atm given the way people think about that position and your stupid wins and losses matter junk.

Watt has been beyond everyone his season on defence and has rocked on offence as well. He won't win because NFL is broken in this respect and which acknowledging defense's import is unable to accept it at the same level as some poncey QBs throwing.

In the USA the win/loss aspect matters.

It's true without Rodgers we are nothing near a play-off team, but it's also true a great QB has a bigger overall impact on a team than any other position. The Browns are a classic example of that. A play-off team minus the required level of QB.

Bull, the Packers have a very deep offensive supporting cast and when Rodgers has been rested or injured previously career backups have come in and performed ok. Hell for a while the record for most passing TDs in a game was held by Matt Flynn, the Packers backup QB.

Watt is the only player in NFL history to have 2 seasons of 20+ sacks. He came second in the sack race this year, had a very good amount of PDs and added turnovers, getting 6, including a TD & Safety. Add that he also played on O and caught 2 TDs in his very limited snaps on a team that started Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Mallett then Case Keenum at QB. The front office gave up on the season essentially hoping to suck & pick up a QB this year. The MVP has to be Watt, it should have been Watt 2 years ago when he broke a shedload of records that had stood for years. He is an extra 50% better than his closest competition at DE and is doing it all as a 3-4 DE.

Big passing seasons are becoming more and more common as the NFL tweaks the rules to help the O and eliminate a lot of different types of hits. The fact that Watt is able to do what he does when there is a consistent point of emphasis on rules helping the O is amazing

Bull, the Packers have a very deep offensive supporting cast and when Rodgers has been rested or injured previously career backups have come in and performed ok. Hell for a while the record for most passing TDs in a game was held by Matt Flynn, the Packers backup QB.

Watt is the only player in NFL history to have 2 seasons of 20+ sacks. He came second in the sack race this year, had a very good amount of PDs and added turnovers, getting 6, including a TD & Safety. Add that he also played on O and caught 2 TDs in his very limited snaps on a team that started Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Mallett then Case Keenum at QB. The front office gave up on the season essentially hoping to suck & pick up a QB this year. The MVP has to be Watt, it should have been Watt 2 years ago when he broke a shedload of records that had stood for years. He is an extra 50% better than his closest competition at DE and is doing it all as a 3-4 DE.

Big passing seasons are becoming more and more common as the NFL tweaks the rules to help the O and eliminate a lot of different types of hits. The fact that Watt is able to do what he does when there is a consistent point of emphasis on rules helping the O is amazing

The Packers aren't a .500 win team without Rodgers. I love the Packers but even the most die hard of Packers fans would probably think the same. Did you see them last year when Rodgers was out? They were 2-4-1 I think it was, a shadow of what they are when Rodgers is there.

Also, I just can't ignore the team records. Watt didn't get his team into the playoffs, its not his fault per se because its hard to make the kind of impact on the defensive end to get your team into the playoffs. A QB/RB makes or breaks a teams offence and with that their chances of getting into the playoffs. If I'm right in thinking that the Texans aren't a top 10 defence in passing or rushing either? If thats the case then I'd factor that in too.

The QB makes or breaks a teams offence, the same with a top tier RB. QB is the most difficult and the most important position on a football team and Rodgers is playing at such a high level (and making it look so easy in doing so) that I think Romo or Rodgers will win the MVP.

There's a reason no defensive player has won the MVP for 20+ years and a reason why QB's & RB's do. It's because they're the most valuable to a football team which is unfortunate for Watt has he's had a fantastic season but that is the case.

So you've completely blotted out last season when in we went 2-4-1 when Rodgers went out injured in week 9 against the Bears. And let's not forget one of those wins was Dallas practically giving us the win by deciding that the running game they were destroying us with was worth completely abandoning, plus Romo doing a Romo.

It's also worth noting that Flynn had one good game, the noted one against Detroit which got him a big contract at Seattle and we all know how that worked out! Plus that Detroit team was honking and we were playing with no pressure that day. We also had a far stronger set of receivers that year with Jennings, Driver et al still on-board than we do now.

Completely agree with Trigg give us this team lead by Flynn and we aren't a .500 team.

That said I would like JJ Watt to win MVP, just because the chances of a defensive player winning it is extremely low no matter how well they play. That and because I still have nightmares about our own defensive play at times.

Mvp is not about who had the best year it's who was the most valuable in their teams success, Houston didn't have much success so while Watt had an amazing year he didn't make that much of a difference. Rodgers on the other hand had an equally amazing season and you can make a strong case for the Packers not being where they are without him.

There's about 12-15 QBs in the NFL that could win with Seattle's roster, probably less then a handful who could do it with the Packers so it's about more then just giving it to the SB winner. The Packers are an average team without Rodgers Houston is an average team even with Watt, so who's more valuable to their team?

Yeah, this one is like two heavyweights slugging it out. Great stuff. Doing some hardcore NFL multi tasking - watching the game on my iPad, chatting about it here on my phone and weighing up contract offers on my Madden career to take my wide receiving services to either Miami, San Fran or Seattle on my PS4.