NFL/NCAA American Football – Thread for experts and newcomers alike

Rex Grossman

I'd be excited about a possible playoff run, but today's win was massively marred by Alex Mack breaking his leg. Looks like his season is done, and if any run-heavy offence loses its Pro Bowl Centre it's going to take a pretty bad hit :(

We do have the Jags, Raiders and Bucs up next though so you never know - perhaps we can continue on and get to 6-2!

Yeah, great stuff. Rodgers must have ice in his veins - the fake spike play was amazing!

I hate the Packers ( :P ), but my god that fake spike was a thing of beauty! I was boring my wife with the story of Marino doing it, and wondering why people don't do it more often.

It scares me how many Superbowls a team that actually plays defense would have if Rodgers was on their team. Makes me sad that some QBs who obviously aren't ready get chucked in week 1, when they should sit and watch for a few years (Brady, Rodgers etc).

There is some real sloppy play going round. As a person who has never played the game but just watched lots of football, stuff like the blocked punt in the Seahawks Cowboys game when the chap moved over and wasn't followed by the Cowboy player and then had a free run is just crazy. I'd make him watch that on a Vine loop for hours....

We lost to the Browns, there is a lot of salty Steelers fans on Reddit, but we lost to the much better team. We should have lost earlier in the season too. All of the Browns losses have been by one to three points. They should be leading the AFC North! I used to get prickly when the commentators and talking heads were saying the defense was getting old (the season we went #1 and #2 against the run and the pass!), but this year its probably true now. :(

I'm pretty new to all this as I've said and I've been switching on the red zone the last few weekends but I'm still not 100% sure on a team yet.

For some reason I'm leanin towards the Dolphins or the Ravens. The Dolphins basically stems from them being the first NFL team I'd ever heard of (via Ace Ventura) and the winners of the first game I ever watched properly throughout. The Ravens is just because my wife picked them randomly and also they seemed like a decent team.

I'm probably leaving myself to a future of heartache if I stick with Miami though aren't I? I mean they haven't won a conference championship since 1984, before I was even born.

I'd say just pick a team and enjoy the ride. It's true some teams have been notoriously bad at drafting and suffered long periods without success due to that, but the great thing about the NFL is that things can turn very quickly. You can pick a successful team now that struggles to make the playoffs in a few years, or a team that sucks now and ends up winning a Superbowl in a few years time. The salary cap in the NFL along with the drafting system tends to keep things fairly fresh and competitive.

For instance last year was the Seahawks first Superbowl win in their history. Before the Brady/Belichick era the Patriots were hardly a feared franchise. Hell, when I picked the Packers we hadn't won shit since the fricking Vince Lombardi days and it stayed that way for more than a decade of me supporting them. There must be an army of Dolphins fans in the UK that started supporting them in the Marino days and have never seen them win a superbowl. The same could be said for Bears fans who jumped on-board during the days of "the fridge" and have watched them fail to repeat the success of 1985.

Some teams have extended periods of dominance but that always some to an end. See the 90's Cowboys, Montana led 49ers etc. Some teams have the star player come up short phase, most notorious would be the Kelly led Bills who lost four Superbowls in a row! The Marino era Dolphins also tend to be mentioned due to never winning a ring.

I'd say just pick a team and enjoy the ride.

Theres only a couple of notoriously bad teams, and they have tried to stay bad. I haven't been watching long, but the Lions went winless. Now that have Stafford and they at least win games. The Raiders, after being blown out by the Dolphins, put up a good fight against a very good Chargers team.

It is the beauty of this spot. Any given Sunday!

The Lions have tended to be pretty shit, but in my time watching the sport the Raiders have had some good periods. Lost in the Super Bowl back in 2002 to the Buc's.

I just looked and only 13 teams have never won the Super Bowl: Cardinals, Falcons, Panthers, Chargers, Titans, Bengals, Eagles, Vikings, Bills, Browns, Lions, Texans, Jaguars. Just 4 of those have never been to the Super Bowl: Browns, Lions, Texans, Jaguars. Of those both the Texans and Jaguars are fairly recent additions to the NFL (Texans - 2002 and Jaguars - 1995).

The big losers out that lot are the Vikings and Bills having lost in four Super Bowls each.

The play that kept the Cowboys in it. Needed to happen! Great game.

That was the play of the drive and certainly won the game for the Cowboys, but I thought it was a well deserved victory. Take away the stupid blocked punt and the Cowboys were always in control of that game.

I'm getting more and more excited about seeing the Cowboys play at Wembley next month. I assumed it'd be a game that didn't matter because they'd be out of playoff contention already, but these last few weeks have really been excellent watching, even when it feels like they tried their best to lose. I'm starting to think they can go all the way...

The way the Cowboys are built now makes them a threat to beat anyone. That OL is legit they've been a finesse team for the last decade that would crumble if you hit them hard enough but thanks to that OL they're the bullies now. This reminds me of those 90's teams on offense, you know what they're going to do but you can't stop it.

This is actually painful to watch. First quarter was amazing, such imaginative playcalling, all utilising the talented players we have on offence. And since then, terrible play calling which has just sapped Austin Davis of any confidence that the first quarter will have given him.

And the defence has been non-existent this entire season. The defence has been hilariously bad, genuinely terrible to watch. First pick is all ours, again. Absolutely garbage playcalling on both sides of the ball.

First 15 plays on offense is usually scripted in advance after that the chess game between offense and defense starts. The Rams seem to really suck at the ladder

Austin Davis looks legit though

Shotty thinks chess is where drawers go.

And yeah, Davis has been a bit of a revelation. He's got the potential to be a solid NFL starter.

On a positive note for the Rams, Tre Mason looks promising too. That play in the first quarter when he got the ball and blasted straight into two 49ers defenceman, knocking one on his arse, was great.

The best thing about the Cowboys is that they've proven plenty of people - me included - wrong by having a good defence. In preseason it looked shocking!