IGNORED

NFL/NCAA American Football – Thread for experts and newcomers alike

Rex Grossman

Gah just remembered redzone doesn't work when the Wembley game is on! Fuck you Sky!

This drives me mental. I don't mind watching a full game if it's close or important but fuck this rout of the raiders

All I'm doing is watching hoping the Dolphins defence score TDs on each Raiders drive so Lemar Miller can't get on the field as he's in my oppositions fantasy team this week.

The red zone in football is the last 20 yards of the field, i.e. in likely scoring range.

The NFL have a show called red zone which is basically watching all the games at once. They jump to teams in the red zone and watch those. Sometimes they'll be double,triple or quad boxes showing multiple games. They show every scoring play. Oh and there are no adverts. I mean none. Not from the US or from Sky. Sky normally have it on from 6pm to midnight on the red button, but not whilst a UK game us on.

So it's badically like final score but you can actually watch the games rather than watch people watching the games.

I like it as it's basically lots and lots of offence so if there's lots if games on I can keep an eye on all of them and there's always something exciting going on somewhere. When there are fewer games on they're more often all on ad breaks at the same time so you get the studio guy filling and it can feel a bit slower.

It's also worth watching some full games because you'll better understand the flow and technicalities. Although tbh I've never found it that complicated a game to watch (there are lots of rules but mist of them don't really matter too much when getting in to it).

So normally my Sunday is red zone for the early games (there are normally more), so 6pm - 9pm. Then I'll watch the late game live for the first half. Then go to bed unless it's a really good game.

I learned most of what I know about American Football from the Madden games. They're perhaps not a hugely realistic version of the sport, but they're great for giving you a lowdown on the rules and such. Playing it all out for yourself really helps emphasise things.

As for a team to support... I reckon you should consider the Chargers, Bears, Panthers... and of course the superb* Cleveland Browns!

* disclaimer, might not be superb.

Edit: my Sunday routine is the same; Red Zone for early games, late game I'll watch live.

Went today. Glad to know I've picked a real shit team to follow. It's only up from here ! Great day out, did all the stuff outside, and enjoyed watching the game with a beer on the go. Usual Wembley tube bollocks getting home. Some of the raider nation outfits were superb.

raidersclown_zpscbb0af19.jpg

A+ Would do again.

Had a great time at the Wembley match today. Glad to see the Dolphins actually failed to choke, but my god, the Raiders.....urgh. Terrible.

So, it was my first ever live NFL match and it was a brilliant experience, but nothing like what a game in the States would be like, imagine....what with so much of the crowd being made up of neutrals. Literally the only teams' Jerseys I didn't spot were the Bills and the Browns. A sort of NFL carnival, perhaps.

Definitely more of a home game for the Fins than the Raiders though.

Shame too that it was so one-sided, as it killed the atmosphere a bit for the second half.

But all in all, excellent, and I really hope the NFL really gets a foothold over here. The London Jaguars? Is that likely, down the road?

Not sure what's going on with the Saints; I had them as a real contender to get to the Super Bowl, but they've been really average so far. We even beat them!

It's actually been quite an interesting start to the season without any team really standing out. In the unusual situation of hoping for a Patriots win tonight against the Chief as otherwise it'll mean doom for at least one of my four Fantasy Football teams...

Rodgers back to 'normal' and the Packers D back to 'Normal' at Chicago yesterday. That first drive really did set the tone and that throw to R. Rodgers was insane, as was the one the touchdown one to Cobb I think it was which got chalked off for holding on Linseley.

We gave up nearly 500 yards but held them to 17 points which deserves some credit I guess. Run Defense needs some work, holes all over the place for Forte.

A strange game overall, not one punt from either team.

You watch the game JonnyNolan?

Trigg - I watched the game. Like you said it was a typical Packers performance from the last few years. Stink up defending the run and then thank Rodgers for playing God tier football.

A win against divisional rivals, so I'll take it. Got to love Cutlers best plays both coming off him fumbling!

See, any other season and I would have suggested your slightly iffy start had put your season at risk, but this year with things being quite mixed up I still think you're strong contenders for at least the NFC Championship game.

I'll be pleased - spent three years in my Madden 15 career as a Wide Receiver at Lambeau Field in-between spells with the Browns! Me, Nelson and Cobb made quite the awesome trio of targets for Rodgers.

How's Ha Ha Clinton-Dix turning out for you guys? I only ask as he was one of three autographs (alongside Kelvin Benjamin and Johnny Manziel!) in my annual hobby box of Panini Prestige cards.

He's doing ok so far. His positional play looks good, but has been making the sorts of mistakes you'd expect from a rookie. He got exposed against the Seahawks a few times for missed tackles/failing to wrap up. I never like judging rookies on a few games, particularly in a position that can be exposed as much as his.

Matt Flynn, one good game against Detroit and then off to Seattle!

Great result for us last night. :omg:

Defence turned up again last night, watched the first half on the train to work this morning and we looked good. Lacy also looked much much better, especially as they were gaps to run into for a change.

As for Ha-Ha, I think he's getting better with every passing week which I think coincides with the amount of snaps he's playing in. He didn't start against Chicago but I think he played twice as many snaps than the starter so he's definitely heading in the right direction.

Not to mention he got an interception this season, the first from a Packers safety since time began or something ;)

I was really disappointed Bridgewater couldn't play as I was looking forward to seeing him up against your defence. You'd imagine once he gets up and running properly and starts hooking up with Patterson and (whenever he returns) AP then the Vikings should do well.

I'm having defence envy right now, mind - looking at how Justin Gilbert has struggled so far and then looking at how Kyle Fuller is getting on in Chicago.