Fusty Gusset

Here's one for Cal:

mfgrimm.jpg

Sentences: the Life of M.F. Grimm Hardcover

Home :: Graphic Novels :: DC ::

Underground rap icon Percy Carey tells the true story of his life in

the "Hip-Hop Game" - the dizzying heights and heartbreaking

losses - in the raw and brutally honest hardcover graphic novel

memoir Sentences: the Life of M.F. Grimm.

In Sentences, Carey chronicles his life in the sometimes glamorous,

and often violent, hip-hop industry; from the first time he picked up

a microphone at a block party as a youngster, to the day he lost

the use of his legs to gang violence, to his incarceration, and

eventually, to his self-reinvention and rise back to the top of his

game, becoming a Hip-Hop Grand Master and being placed among

the pantheon of the culture. No questions are left unanswered and

no apologies are made, resulting in what's sure to be a

groundbreaking graphic novel.

Joining Carey is up-and-coming artist Ronald Wimberly (Lucifer,

Hellblazer: Papa Midnite covers), who breathtakingly illustrates this

gritty tale of righteous redemption. If what you know about hip-hop

is the flashy cars and voluptuous women that music videos try to

sell, be prepared to experience the real side of the industry that

only someone who has survived the rise, fall, and rise again, can

tell. Written by Percy Carey, with artwork and cover by Ronald

Wimberly

DC, hardback, 128 pages, published September 2007

MATURE READERS

here's a pdf sample: http://www.dccomics.com/media/excerpts/7707_x.pdf

Did anyone else read the Hyphy post on Fat Lace? The post's pretty funny, but a couple of the tracks they uploaded for stream are really nice. That San Quinn joint has one of them :) type beats for all my soulful cats. I think it's quite similar to that surprisingly dope new Public Enemy song from the other month.

Also on the soul tip, they uploaded a new Kidz In The Hall mixtape track for today's post. Got a really big Philly soul sound. Very sweet. In fact, any of my mixtape DL soldiers fancy uploading it in mp3 form? The track is called 'Work To Do.'

I would also like to say that I love this dope track. It's really awesome.

Did you never check out Donuts, seminal instrumental album by the late great producer, J Dilla? The original beat was on that. Absolutely legendary shit! I completely swear by it and would recommend it to any fan of existential musical genius!

Mm-hm! It's like Motown music, but on mushrooms, and from the future. He laid down a really great blueprint for ways in which future generations of beatsmiths can freak a soul sample. Sadly, he died 3 days after the album's release :angry: It kinda put a really poignant spin on some of the sparser melancholic songs. With titles like 'Bye' and 'Don't Cry,' it really shook a brother up at the time. The completely triumphant outro with a guy singing "When I die I hope to be the kind of man you thought I'd be" still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. I'm like one of his thousand of Number One Fans right enough.

The queen of the ’80s album cover...

break.jpg

Here's a PDF'd taster of photographer Jannette Beckman's upcoming book 'The Breaks'.

Her photographs, collected in The Breaks: Stylin’ and Profilin’ 1982–1990 (powerHouse, with texts by Bill Adler and Tom Terrell), transport us back to a time before music videos and marketing departments took control. The queen of the ’80s album cover, Beckman shot the icons of the era: Africa Bambaataa, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Fearless Four, the World Famous Supreme Team, Lovebug Starsky, Salt’n’Pepa, Run-DMC, Stetsasonic, UTFO, Roxanne Shante, Sweet T, Jazzy Joyce, Slick Rick, Boogie Down Productions, Eric B. and Rakim, EPMD, NWA, Ice-T, 2 Live Crew, Tone Loc, Gang Starr, Ultramagnetic MCs, Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock, Special Ed, Leaders of the New School, Jungle Brothers, Beastie Boys, Rick Rubin, and countless others. The era was as original as it was innocent, and Beckman’s images remind us of a culture that brought forth The Message before it got Paid in Full.

10650720_Detail550.jpg

A friend of mine has an album ready to drop, hope you dont mind the plug :=)

DubbleEdge - out Oct 8th

http://www.myspace.com/edgemuzic

58306276nv0.jpg

58306276nv0.247a5b9a24.jpg

Heres a track which I think we can all relate to, hope you like it :angry:

http://www.dubbledge.com/mp3/9to5.mp3

Dubbledge is a mate of yours? Fair play man, he's really dope. That 9to5 tune is from IQ's "Live from the Sofa" mixtape...which is also worth a look for you ukhh fans.

A friend of mine has an album ready to drop, hope you dont mind the plug :=)

DubbleEdge - out Oct 8th

http://www.myspace.com/edgemuzic

58306276nv0.jpg

58306276nv0.247a5b9a24.jpg

Heres a track which I think we can all relate to, hope you like it :)

http://www.dubbledge.com/mp3/9to5.mp3

Looking forward to this one. One of my favourite UK emcees at the mo. Will be seeing him with Mystro in Bristol in a couple of weeks too.

In other news.......Daimond D and myself went to Pete Rock on friday night at The Jazz Cafe. Fucking awesome. The man is a don! :P:D

I danced like a loon all night long!!

He didn't rock the mic unfortunately, but a damn fine DJ set it was though. Basically he put out wall-to-wall bangers from start to finish. The crowd were mental for it, we were were mental for it! :( You couild really see he was enjoying it to, mouthing the words to all sorts of classic hiphop tracks! :(

Sounds like the Jazzy Jeff gig I went to. Unfortuantely not my thing, anyone can play wall to wall bangers...DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT! Premo did it when I saw him, although at least he was screaming down the mic as well!

Yeah, I'm getting to the stage when I see God producer/DJs bang out the same old songs. If I went to see Pete Rock, for example, I'd like to hear a bit more in the way of his more obscure productions, and maybe some of his source songs. Or maybe he did all that on top?

Yeah, I'm getting to the stage when I see God producer/DJs bang out the same old songs. If I went to see Pete Rock, for example, I'd like to hear a bit more in the way of his more obscure productions, and maybe some of his source songs. Or maybe he did all that on top?

I doubt it, they're realists and rely on the fact that Judy and Mark Nobody from round the corner in Suchatown are going to say to all their mates "I saw this Pete Rock the other night and he was WICKED"

It's a sad state of affairs but I'm pretty sure that's the way Pete Rock et al go about their business these days. They'll pull crowds and get the dough, then leave their production for the real heads to delve into.

Hmm... well whaddya know... NEW PETE ROCK SHIT.

I'm feeling it. I wish we had this song during the summer months. I get a Doom vibe off the beat, actually. It's like a deeper, more organic version of a Doom beat. With more layers and attention lavished over it. It sounds like Doom with a big budget or something. The warbely synth melody is the type of thing he'd loop, and the stuttered snare sample is the type of thing he'd program. So, yeah. This is like a more organic, less manufactured Doom beat. Anyone see where I'm coming from?

Looking forward to this one. One of my favourite UK emcees at the mo. Will be seeing him with Mystro in Bristol in a couple of weeks too.

In other news.......Daimond D and myself went to Pete Rock on friday night at The Jazz Cafe. Fucking awesome. The man is a don! :):D

I danced like a loon all night long!!

Thats cool man, Ill let him know about this thread :wacko:

I missed PR (much like how Ive missed Rakim, KRS and on and on this year...), but a mate went who also said it was dope also! Watching the pennies after buying a house just aint no fun...

Hmm... well whaddya know... NEW PETE ROCK SHIT.

Thanks for that man, nice track

I doubt it, they're realists and rely on the fact that Judy and Mark Nobody from round the corner in Suchatown are going to say to all their mates "I saw this Pete Rock the other night and he was WICKED"

It's a sad state of affairs but I'm pretty sure that's the way Pete Rock et al go about their business these days. They'll pull crowds and get the dough, then leave their production for the real heads to delve into.

I see what ya saying and understand completely but a damn good gig is a damn good gig in my eyes. Chewy and Dai Nobody we must be! ;) But yeah, he played a selection of his tunes at the start and some new shit at the end. Not sure if its that track Cal has put up but will listen later to see.

I'm gonna recommend some old shit now that I picked up a few weeks ago in Plymouth for the pricely some of 2quid each. Both are quality, both recommended to me first by Dai and in regard to the latter, he was pretty pissed off I picked it up first! ;)

e04521ruyx1.jpg

Young Black Teenagers - Dead Enz Kidz Doin' Lifetime Bidz

Early 90's hiphop with a very nice Leaders of The New School feel to it. Production by Terminator X, Bomb Squad and Grandmaster Flash - lovely head nodding shit.

bornjamerica.jpg

Born Jamaicans - Kids From Foreign.

Heavily reggae influenced hiphop album, lovely summer feel to this, you just can't help enjoy the laid backness of this.