September 04

August 04

July 04

June 04

May 04

April 04

March 04

February 04

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miscellaneous Classic Material From the Forum's Crates

The Perfect CD for a Hip-Hop Virgin

Recommend Me Some Classic... Hip-Hop! (focusing on Golden Era late 80s/early 90s classics)

Recommend Me Some Modern... Hip-Hop! (mid 90s til the modern era)

Common - Like Water For Chocolate... and 'conscious' hip-hop (recommending jazzier, smoother, socio-political stuff rather than gangsta/street LPs)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some official releases this month (& early oct)

40 Cal Album : Broken Safety 2 Released date : September 11, 2007 Label : Koch Records

Necro Album : Death Rap Released date : September 11, 2007 Label : Psycho Logical Records

Young Bleed Album : Once Upon a Time in America Released date : September 11, 2007 Label : West Coast Mafia

Kano Album : London Town Released date : September 17, 2007 Label : Wea

Havoc Album : The Kush Release Date : 24th Sept, 2007 Label : Nature Sounds Records

Median Album : Median Relief Released date : 9/25/2007 Label : Halftooth Records

Raekwon Album : The Vatican Vol 3 : House Of Wax Released date : 9/25/2007 Label : Ice Water Records

Infamous Mobb Album : Reality Rap release date : Tba Autumn, 2007 Label : HONOR MANAGEMENT

Cassidy Album : B.A.R.S The Barry Adrien Reese Story Release Date : Oct 2, 2007 Label : J Records

Freeway Album : Free At Last Release Date : Oct 9th, 2007 Label : Roc-A-Fella

9th Wonder Album : Dream Merchant vol 2 Released date : Oct 9th, 2007 Label : Justus Records

g-rap-steps.jpg

First song off 'Half A Klip', due out October 24. Produced by Domingo.

Kool G Rap - Rising Up

and

Kool G Rap Ft Prodigy - Thought I Told You

And some classic full 12"s from a time when Fat Joe was nice not nauseating:

fatjoewatchthesound.jpg

A1 - Watch The Sound (Clean Version) (3:23)

A2 - Watch The Sound (Dirty Version) (3:23)

B1 - Watch The Sound (Clean Extended) (3:56)

B2 - Watch The Sound (Dirty Extended) (3:56)

B3 - Watch The Sound (Instrumental) (3:27)

Watch The Sound

fatjoetheshitisreal.jpg

01 - The Shit Is Real (DJ Premier Remix)

02 - The Shit Is Real (DJ Premier Remix Instrumental)

The Shit Is Real

fatjoeflowjoe.jpg

A1 - Flow Joe (Radio Edit) (3:55)

A2 - Flow Joe (LP Version) (4:16)

B1 - Flow Joe (Instrumental) (3:55)

B2 - Livin' Fat (3:37)

Flow Joe

fatjoesuccess.jpg

A1 - Success (Clean Version) (3:50)

A2 - Success (Album Version) (3:51)

A3 - Success (Instrumental) (3:56)

A4 - Success (Acapella) (3:54)

B1 - Success (DJ Premier Remix) (4:10)

B2 - Success (DJ Premier Instrumental) (4:10)

B3 - Part Deux (3:15)

Success

fatjoeenvy.jpg

A1 - Envy (Album Version) (4:09)

A2 - Envy (Instrumental) (4:09)

A3 - Envy (Acapella Version) (4:09)

B1 - Firewater (Feat. Armageddon, Big Punisher, & Raekwon) (4:20)

B2 - Firewater (Instrumental Version) (4:20)

B3 - Firewater (Acapella Version) (4:20)

Envy

I found the Rising Up track linked on a blog and I liked it straight away. Nice beat, G Rap's voice sounds slightly different though, and his flow is a bit different to his usual style IMO but variation is nice I guess.

That G Rap and Prodigy link you posted isn't working.

Thanks for the Fat Joe 12s, I don't have the Envy 12 and I'll snatch a couple of the others as well.

ps

You didn't send me the rar password for the Money Boss, unless I somehow missed it.

I got another version of it though, skimmed through a few tracks.

New Camp Lo disappointed me and the Mic Geronimo had only 1 track I half-liked, maybe 2 at best. Wasn't really feeling the Large Pro beat either, the one that I know of at least.

edit- that makes 3 Vatican tapes Raekwon's releasing, along with the 2 Only Built 4 The Streets J-Love tapes, he's overdoing it. Not impressed so far at all. From the way he's been coming off in interviews lately he is far from happy with Aftermath. Cuban Linx 2 was supposed to have come out 2 years ago (dunno if he was on Aftermath then, Idon't think he was).

Fat Joe used to kill it.

Word. His verse on The Enemy with Big L is amazing.

Aiyyo enough's enough, federals try to set me up

Put me in cuffs and crush what I lust into dust

Plus, they want a nigga sewed, but they know

Big Joey Crack ain't never rat a cat that he know

Fo' sho', death before dishonor; I left the streets alone

since Tone deceased it almost killed his mama

So I'ma keep doin what I'm doin

Pursuin my dream til there enough cream to start my own union

And show these kids how legit it is

Shit is real I used to steal but now I own several businesses

So where's your witness that you claim to have, sayin that I'm takin half

Extortin New York and not payin tax

I'm layin back, playin the role, playin the low

But it's the same ol Joe so don't get K.O.d

Hey yo I'm gonna fry for what I never did

or catch a heavy bid, why don't they just let a nigga live?

Is there a password on those rar files? Only downloaded flow joe and thats asking for one...

I'm really liking the new mixtape by Wale, "100 Miles & Runnin", he's got a nice slack swagger going on.

Here's a taster:

Wale - Daytona Squared

Yeah i posted about it last month i think, been playing it a lot since then.

Here's a couple of 12s as thanks for the Fat Joe 12s.

Kool G Rap - Fast Life (Norfside Remix)

http://www.mediafire.com/?8ddmshgd9yz

O.C. - My World

http://www.mediafire.com/?1es6qgaldys

Were the Fat Joe tracks from a blog? Please recommend some good blogs, if possible.

I'm looking to purchase the NYOIL lp, I like his lyrics, getting a bit sick of all the crack slinging rappers. Strange how after Cuban Linx dropped in 95 every rapper in NY became a drug dealer.

Here's the NYOIL video, he did it himself, the new one is more professionally produced but Y'all Should Get Lynched is a strong message to so many rappers nowadays:

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=...videoid=3103852

Completely shit-hot new Count Bass D shit up on his MySpace. Check out 'Sifting Through Records.' Really, really great track.

Fuckin Scotland, Ireland, I don't give a fuck where you got your records from, I'll kick yo ass. Me and Rawls

and

Black like Darth Vader... fuck with Nintendo, not Sega.

Anyone got the mp3 hook-up? I'm sick of streaming this piece of gold off the MySpace.

By the way, I might be extremely up for this:

muro.jpg

Apparently it's the god Muro's debut British appearance, and Theo Parrish been fucking me up since esar posted the extremely deep and dope Soul Control in the Dance Thread. So this looks a well tasty smorgasbord of outright funky, soulful, rugged ILL.

Speaking of dat soul shit, it's the lead single from 9th Wonder's Dream Merchant Vol.2 album: Sunday.

All sorts of illness on The Roots tip:

Being up for a new challenge is how Roots drummer ?uestlove explains the act's involvement with the first VH1 Hip-Hop Honors tour, which kicks off Sept. 13 in San Francisco.

"This is a hip-hop celebration," ?uestlove tells Billboard.com. "I'm going to take the biggest risk I've ever taken on any tour. I'm going to make this a Roots song-free tour. We're going to rely on the classics that our guests are giving us, and we're also going to cover some classic material and do some new routines that we've never done before.

"A Roots show isn't really a Roots show unless half the audience walks away shocked like, 'Oh (expletive), I wasn't expecting that.' So the onus is, how do you rock a two-and-a-half-hour show and not rely on one of your songs?"

Basically an expansion of the Roots' normal in-concert medley dubbed "Hip-Hop 101," which includes snippets of rap classics, the upcoming tour will feature the Philadelphia-based act, MC Lyte and Big Daddy Kane. The set list includes songs from legends such as Special Ed, Wu-Tang Clan, Biz Markie, Public Enemy and more.

Oh shit!

Also in the mix for the drummer is the completion of a new Al Green album later this year. As a producer, ?uestlove says he views the project as a follow-up to the legendary R&B and soul singer's 1977 release "The Belle Album."

OH SHIT!

In addition, the Roots' tenth studio album, "Rising Down," is penciled in for an April 29, 2008 release...

"We're about 60 percent finished," ?uestlove says. "To me, it's an electronic feel. It's not synthetic all of the way, like with drum machines and synths, but as far as our keyboard textures are concerned, we use a lot of old vintage synthesizer sounds. It's something we haven't done on past Roots records."

OH SHIT!

We can make it better was one of them, that was my favourite track on the album.

Haven't got it. Can anyone upload it for moi? It must be pretty good if it beats stuff like Late, Crack Music and We Major.

Was listening to Food and Liquor for the first time in a while last night, still 'good' just good in a mehish kind of way.

Basically an expansion of the Roots' normal in-concert medley dubbed "Hip-Hop 101," which includes snippets of rap classics, the upcoming tour will feature the Philadelphia-based act, MC Lyte and Big Daddy Kane. The set list includes songs from legends such as Special Ed, Wu-Tang Clan, Biz Markie, Public Enemy and more.

Sounds great. :unsure:

As a head who's kinda sick of all things Kanye and certainly all things sped-up soul, I'm still a massive sucker for the 'We Can Make It Better' bonus track off Late Registration. Add me to the handful of peeps sticking it in they select top 5 Kanye jams or whateva. It's hands-up the last repeatable thing I heard Q-Tip on in a long while.

Yep. I really hope that tour comes here. Arguably the greatest live hip-hop performers today, playing arguably the greatest standards from the genre's history, so even if you weren't a fan of their own back catalogue there'd still be SUMPEN 2 C. With Kane, baby? That's fucking meet material :wacko:

The vintage synthesiser sounds on their next album sounds exactly like the type of shit I'm fiending for these days. Last weekend, oh man, I was downloading all this 80s electro pre-Straight Outta Compton Dr Dre / Arabian Prince / World Class Wreckin Cru / Michel'le shit. All that 808 synthesiser shit and shit. OH SHIT! It's like Dre morphed into Bambaataa the don.

The vintage synthesiser sounds on their next album sounds exactly like the type of shit I'm fiending for these days. Last weekend, oh man, I was downloading all this 80s electro pre-Straight Outta Compton Dr Dre / Arabian Prince / World Class Wreckin Cru / Michel'le shit. All that 808 synthesiser shit and shit. OH SHIT! It's like Dre morphed into Bambaataa the don.

Seriously, this shits for all my historian cats. It's Dr. Dre on that 80s electro tip. GET THESE JANNED:

Panic Zone - Arabian Prince & N.W.A.

This is a fucking completely different N.W.A. man. Check the lyrics, check the lyrics, check the lyrics. Call and response vococder shit. (Incidentally, for all the cats buggin out at their Straight Outta Compton cover all like "Who's this extra dude," that guy is Arabian Prince.

He's Bionic - World Class Wreckin Cru

It seems there's no limit to Dre's talent. It was a real joy to find out his pre-hip hop production was so ill. It's on some SU-CKA-DEE-JAAYY diss shit. Nuff attitude. Now check out this devastating fucking ballad here. It's absolutely incredible:

Turn Off The Lights - World Class Wreckin Cru

Fuckin raps about seducin chicks by wearing male g-strings, completely straight faced. Insane.

DR. DRE PRODUCED THESE. How come none of our resident O.G.'s told me about this body of work? I'd heard about World Class Wreckin Cru, but I had no idea it was on the ill Planet Patrol / Soulsonic type tip. Fucking fine music!

DR. DRE PRODUCED THESE. How come none of our resident O.G.'s told me about this body of work? I'd heard about World Class Wreckin Cru, but I had no idea it was on the ill Planet Patrol / Soulsonic type tip. Fucking fine music!

Didn't you get the "World Class Wreckin Cru" reference in "Still D.R.E"? Also, why do you think there were so many rumours flying round about Dre being a battyman?! The puzzle is starting to come together huh?!

I've heard the Dream Merchant Vol.2 sampler, sounding pretty dope. 9th's kind of sinking into the background a bit now though, seeing as Khrysis is like 9th on steroids and spinach.

Yeah, of course I've heard of World Class Wreckin Cru, but I thought it was primitive cut & paste Steinski-esq DJ shit. I'd only strictly heard, like, 'Slice' and 'Surgery.' And the gay rumours are classic:

4.jpg

Sequins and mascara. It's like Gin & Juice, but... not as gay... :wacko:

What was so tough about Gin & Juice, anyway? Shoulda been some "Sippin' on Tennents & Talikser" ruffneck shit.