IGNORED

CD Mix Club September

the anti-lfj

Trackling for Mr.Goldbricker :(

01. Mike Sheridan - Udenfor

02. Syncom Data - Beyond The Stars (Speedy J Remix)

03. Andy Stott - Made Your Point

04. Ronny & Renzo - Big Smack & Flies (Mungolian Jetset's Medievel Knievel Remix)

05. Leftfield - Swords

06. Placebo - Running Up That Hill

07. Musiccargo - Ich Geh Den Weg Mit Dir

08. Professor Genius - Pegaso

09. Roland Sebastian Faber - Hommage I

10. L.A.M - Irridation

11. Arpanet - Wireless Internet

12. The Emperor Machine - Sh3A

Feedback for ABB:

Track 1:

A nice dark glitchy opening sounds a bit like Alex Smoke actually. Great kick drum sound when it gets going too.

Track 2:

Quite similar to the first continuing what I'd call a "dark" theme. Liked the base line on this track.

Track 3:

Similar sound OK although this is probably the weakest of the three.

Track 4:

Ah, the familiar crack of vinyl! I like this one a bit more melodical sounds a bit like a Massive Attack instrumental good stuff!

Track 5:

Swords by Leftfield I've talked about Rhythm and Stealth before I never really rated it at the time but I like it much more than I used to. Listened to in isolation this is actually much better than I remember too.

Track 6:

Sounds like a Placebo cover of Kate Moss I don't mind this and I like the song but I'd probably not listen to it normally.

Track 7:

I like this it's got a real German electro feel to it and sounds like a real mix of styles too good stuff again.

Track 8:

Similar to track 7 but not quite so good.

Track 9:

Ah this is good reminds me of the Airwolf theme!

Track 10:

Quite hard to listen to but it's only short so I'll let it slide. :(

Track 11:

This has literally no percussion but I still liked it even though it could have been cut a bit shorter maybe.

I liked the two themes on this thanks for sending mate. The highlights for me were 1,2 and 7.

Feedback to whoever sent me a cd this month

1 Wow this is a very cool opener. Very off kilter and quirky love this.

2. Very funky. Sounds a bit French house, very nice

3. love the build up at the beginning of the track rest of the track is good.

4. “What, What, What…” Ah Prinzhorn Dance School. Love the dirty sounding bass on this.

5 Mmm nice and minimalist. Like this, very relaxing.

6. Phoenix ‘Too Young’ love this song it never gets old.

7. Suitably thumpy. Really like this.

8. The lead singer sounds very familiar. Good tune though, I get a real 70’s rock feeling, very Led Zeppelin.

9. Cool. A Jazzy piano version of ‘Everybody Wants to Rule the World’ digging the drum breakdown near the end.

10. Quite bizarre this as when it began I thought it was a version of ‘Is it because am Black’ by Syl Johnson as it sounds exactly the same. Although the rhythm was familiar it wasn’t until the singers came in that I realised it was a cover of ‘Can’t get you Outta My Head’

11.Old School tune. I haven’t heard this one for ages. Brings back good memories.

12. Aha amazing tune.

13.Ahh, Andy Williams. What a closing song awesome choice man.

Overall very, very enjoyable really liked it thanks for this.

Any more thoughts on the CD, acidbearboy?

Sorry, busy-ish weekend. Some comments from a closer listen......

1 - Hammock District - Living Room 01

A very twinkly opening, nice enough.

2 - Grandmaster Gareth - Mushroom Clouds

A short pyschadelic, flute filled groove.

3 - John Bender - 31A4

Random electronic noodling and some spoken words, not keen on this one.

4 - James Holden - 10101

Yeah, this one is better, I like most of Mr.Holden's stuff. What's your opinion on the album as a whole?

5 - John Foxx - Metal Beat

Not really feeling this one though. A bit too quirky for its own good, didn't like the vocals either.

6 - Triosk & Jan Jelinek - On The Lake

Jan Jelinek is responsible for one of my all time favourite albums. Suprisingly though, I've not really checked out much of his other work. This sounds pretty good though so I guess I ought to. Handily, there appears to be some on the bonus disc!

7 - Robert Wyatt - Lullaloop

Moving away from the electronic stuff into something from a genre I couldn't name. It has a brass section, guitars, some lazy singing and a little bit of swing to it. I'm not that fussed to be honest.

8 - Belle and Sebastian - Electronic Renaissance

Suprised to hear a 4/4 beat with this one. I thought they did depressing accoustic type stuff. It's ok I guess, but probably not something I'd choose to listen to myself.

9 - Jean Jacques Perrey & Luke Vibert - Analogues Generiques

Better than the last track but still a bit dull. I always find Luke Vibert to be very hit and miss.

10 - Ladyscraper - Stick

Fast and hard acid-tinged 'IDM'. Lots of beat trickery and some nice melodies but I've never been keen on this sound. I'd prefer it if they swapped the breaks for some more downtempo rhyhtms and kept things more chilled.

11 - Black Moth Super Rainbow - I Am The Alphabet

Did you read my post on here about liking BMSR or is this here just by coincidence? The 2004 album was the first thing I listened to on the bonus disc, it was good but nothing stood out quite as much as the sample tracks I've heard from the latest LP. Certainly something I'll be listening to again though.

12 - Justus Koehncke - Pickpockets

I've heard a few good things from Justus lately, although I don't think I've bought anything of his in the past. His sound has a nice blend of Electro House, Italo Disco and Melodic Techno. Sounded a little out of place at this point in the cd though.

13 - Y.A.C.H.T - I Love a Computer

Some more quirky beat manipulation on a guitar and bass groove, meh.

Ok, so I said I heard nothing bad on my first listen, but I also said I wasn't giving it my full attention. A proper listen today revealed a few duffers but it was generally a listenable selection. I'm a fussy bugger after all so thanks for trying. I'll also be checking some of the stuff from the bonus disc when I get chance, cheers.

I put a BMSR track on my last mix and you mentioned you were curious, so when I got you this month I thought I'd include some. No complaints about the mixed review though, I listened to it again while I typed out the set list and realised it wasn't as good as I'd thought while compiling it.

What's the Jan Jelinek album called that you like? I've only heard of him through Triosk and I only just discovered them this month

Feedback for goldbricker:

I really like the variety in the opening four or five tracks on this months CD - the second and third tracks especially are ace. I feel like I should know them but I don't, although I have a strong feeling from the lyrics that the third one is by Masters Of Ceremony. The MC in the fourth track is definitely Abdominal, but I'm not sure who the song is by - is it possibly from the latest DJ Format album? I find his flow a little mundane to listen to at times, but I do really like the chorus on this track. I listen to a lot of hip-hop and so it is always a pleasure to listen to a selection of good examples from the genre that I'm not familiar with, which is one of the reasons I enjoyed going through this Mix Club offering so much.

The fifth track on the CD is a lot of fun, but I can't listen to it without breaking it down extensively wondering how each of the elements would sound if I sampled them for something else. I really enjoyed this ... can I assume that it is pre-1979? Sounds like it was sampled for a lot of the early hip-hop tracks from that year so I'd be very surprised if it came any later. I enjoyed the next couple of tracks as well, from here. Especially seven; it has that ethereal 'movie-soundtrack' quality to it which I really enjoy in ambient music. Sounds almost like it could come from the Thomas Newman American Beauty soundtrack but I have no idea who it really is. Does the next track follow on from it naturally, or did you merge them slightly? I like the drums on it, anyway. Some good strings in the background as well.

Track nine I should know. It was sampled for Peter Piper by Run DMC but I don't know who it is by, unfortunately. Very interesting to hear it in its original form, and I'd be very interested to know who it is by. An excellent inclusion on the disc, and one that prompted me to do some digging to find that Run DMC track. I found the next couple of tracks a little forgettable to be honest, though track eleven did seem vaguely familiar in some respects. The final track on the CD was well-placed, in my opinion. I liked it quite a bit, and it seemed like a good place to end. Overall, I enjoyed the first half the most, and I'd be very interested to see a tracklist as I'm not sure how accurate my artist predictions are. Mixing some hip-hop up with the other stuff worked very well, I felt, and including a couple of classic hip-hop-sampled songs is always a guaranteed way to get me smiling.

Thanks dude.

Favourite Tracks:

Vimster; have you gotten around to listening to mine yet?

Idespair - I know this is going to sound shite, but I honestly can't listen to your CD in it's entirety! I really don't want to post comments that might sound disrespectful but this kind of hard house trance ( if that's the best genre to describe it ) unfortunately grates.

I've put the CD on a few times but keep finding myself skipping the tracks. The only one I listened to throughout was track 5 with its vocoder stuff which was fairly reasonable, but otherwise I just found it too much 'dayglo' for my tastes. I try and be fairly open to most music styles, but if this is your thing then fair play to you. Again I'm really sorry if you take this feedback the wrong way, after going to the trouble of making the CD.

Thanks for the CD, Vimster. Although your selection of rather minimal guitar janglings and programmed beats wasn't exactly to my tastes, it was an interesting listen. I especially like tracks 4 and 7, with the end track being a nice closer. It's the sort of thing I'd enjoy if I was watching a sunset on an eerie cloudy day. I didn't recognise a single thing however, which is exactly what you'd like sometimes. Cheers!

1 Wow this is a very cool opener. Very off kilter and quirky love this.

Datarock - Computer Camp Love The sound quality on this was a bit crap, so apologies for that. Came to my attention due to Fa, fa, fa featuring on Annie's Dj Kicks mix and absolutely love the album Datarock. A fantastic mix of indie-disco post-punk.

2. Very funky. Sounds a bit French house, very nice

Chromeo - Tendoroni 80's funk modern style

3. love the build up at the beginning of the track rest of the track is good.

Madkatt Courtship - Cosmic Pop Still my favourite Felix Da Housecat album and I think I've probably put either this or another of the albums tracks on a previous Rllmuk CD. Essential Album.

4. “What, What, What…” Ah Prinzhorn Dance School. Love the dirty sounding bass on this.

Prinzhorn Dance School - Crackerjack Docker Listening to the whole album in one takes some real effort, but I can take isolated tracks like this.

5 Mmm nice and minimalist. Like this, very relaxing.

J Walk - Tears Like A Wave From A Night On The Rocks - a largely instrumental mix bag of jazzy, soulful, electro hip-hop beats

6. Phoenix ‘Too Young’ love this song it never gets old.

Phoenix - Too Young As heard on Lost In Translation and although I haven't heard It's Never Been Like That, still think United is their best album yet.

7. Suitably thumpy. Really like this.

Roxy Music - The Thrill Of It All (M.A.N.D.Y vs Booka Shade Remix)

8. The lead singer sounds very familiar. Good tune though, I get a real 70’s rock feeling, very Led Zeppelin.

Map Of Africa - Dirty Lovin From their album which is a kinda rock balearic disco monster.

9. Cool. A Jazzy piano version of ‘Everybody Wants to Rule the World’ digging the drum breakdown near the end.

Bad Plus - Everybody Wants To Rule The World yeah a nice jazz piano instrumental, wasn't overly impressed with the whole album though.

10. Quite bizarre this as when it began I thought it was a version of ‘Is it because am Black’ by Syl Johnson as it sounds exactly the same. Although the rhythm was familiar it wasn’t until the singers came in that I realised it was a cover of ‘Can’t get you Outta My Head’

Ping Pong Orchestra - Can't Get You Out Of My Head Totally love this, taken from Tom Middleton's Crazy Cover's Vol 2.

11.Old School tune. I haven’t heard this one for ages. Brings back good memories.

Mary J Blige - Be Happy Classic soulful 90's R&B.

12. Aha amazing tune.

Louis Austen - Disco Dancer Probably just the right side of cheese.

13.Ahh, Andy Williams. What a closing song awesome choice man.

Andy Williams - The Impossible Dream Yep, Classic.

Overall very, very enjoyable really liked it thanks for this.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Feedback for goldbricker:

I really like the variety in the opening four or five tracks on this months CD - the second and third tracks especially are ace. I feel like I should know them but I don't, although I have a strong feeling from the lyrics that the third one is by Masters Of Ceremony. The MC in the fourth track is definitely Abdominal, but I'm not sure who the song is by - is it possibly from the latest DJ Format album? I find his flow a little mundane to listen to at times, but I do really like the chorus on this track. I listen to a lot of hip-hop and so it is always a pleasure to listen to a selection of good examples from the genre that I'm not familiar with, which is one of the reasons I enjoyed going through this Mix Club offering so much.

The fifth track on the CD is a lot of fun, but I can't listen to it without breaking it down extensively wondering how each of the elements would sound if I sampled them for something else. I really enjoyed this ... can I assume that it is pre-1979? Sounds like it was sampled for a lot of the early hip-hop tracks from that year so I'd be very surprised if it came any later. I enjoyed the next couple of tracks as well, from here. Especially seven; it has that ethereal 'movie-soundtrack' quality to it which I really enjoy in ambient music. Sounds almost like it could come from the Thomas Newman American Beauty soundtrack but I have no idea who it really is. Does the next track follow on from it naturally, or did you merge them slightly? I like the drums on it, anyway. Some good strings in the background as well.

Track nine I should know. It was sampled for Peter Piper by Run DMC but I don't know who it is by, unfortunately. Very interesting to hear it in its original form, and I'd be very interested to know who it is by. An excellent inclusion on the disc, and one that prompted me to do some digging to find that Run DMC track. I found the next couple of tracks a little forgettable to be honest, though track eleven did seem vaguely familiar in some respects. The final track on the CD was well-placed, in my opinion. I liked it quite a bit, and it seemed like a good place to end. Overall, I enjoyed the first half the most, and I'd be very interested to see a tracklist as I'm not sure how accurate my artist predictions are. Mixing some hip-hop up with the other stuff worked very well, I felt, and including a couple of classic hip-hop-sampled songs is always a guaranteed way to get me smiling.

Thanks dude.

Favourite Tracks:

Vimster; have you gotten around to listening to mine yet?

01. Soichi Terada - Pagoda - Vs Stage 5,6

02. Spank Rock - Bump

03. K-OS - Freeze

04. Abdominal - Walk Left/Stand Right

05. Pookey Blow - Get Up (And Go To School)

06. Apparat - Useless Information

07. Jon Hopkins - Cold Out There

08. Blockhead - Roll Out the Read Carpet

09. Bob James - Take Me To The Mardi Gras

10. Jem - Amazing Life

11. Laserdance - Open your eyes

12. Supermayer - Please Sunshine

I love the Spank Rock stuff especially the female rapper on this track so much energy it's from the album called Yoyoyo. Don't know much about the K-OS track I found it on the soundtrack for SSX3!

If you enjoyed the Apparat track in any way then I highly recommend you listen to the album Walls it's been one of my favourite albums from this year.

Don't know that much about the Pookey Blow track I heard bph play it on rllmukfm and asked him to send me a copy. It's from an album called The Third Unheard: Connecticut Hip Hop 1979-1983 so you're not far off with the year!

The Jon Hopkins track I found on his Myspace page after someone on here recommended him (sorry don't remember who) he's got a couple of albums out and they're both sounding pretty strong from what I've heard so far. It's just blended slightly with the Blockhead track which is from the album called Downtown Science, I liked the jazzy feel to this and the really old style strings.

The final track reminds me a little of the an Air track but far more upbeat and with a fuller sound. It's from the album called Save the World.

01. Soichi Terada - Pagoda - Vs Stage 5,6

02. Spank Rock - Bump

03. K-OS - Freeze

04. Abdominal - Walk Left/Stand Right

05. Pookey Blow - Get Up (And Go To School)

06. Apparat - Useless Information

07. Jon Hopkins - Cold Out There

08. Blockhead - Roll Out the Read Carpet

09. Bob James - Take Me To The Mardi Gras

10. Jem - Amazing Life

11. Laserdance - Open your eyes

12. Supermayer - Please Sunshine

Thats pretty interesting; the tracks I thought I knew I got completely wrong (apart from the Abdominal one), and the ones I thought I didn't have any idea of I am fairly familiar with already (Apparat, Blockhead, etc.). Still - another excellent mix from you. As always you have left me with a number of artists to do some follow up work on as well, so thanks very much. I'm also secretly smug over my estimate for the year of the Pookey Blow track.

: )

Idespair - I know this is going to sound shite, but I honestly can't listen to your CD in it's entirety! I really don't want to post comments that might sound disrespectful but this kind of hard house trance ( if that's the best genre to describe it ) unfortunately grates.

I've put the CD on a few times but keep finding myself skipping the tracks. The only one I listened to throughout was track 5 with its vocoder stuff which was fairly reasonable, but otherwise I just found it too much 'dayglo' for my tastes. I try and be fairly open to most music styles, but if this is your thing then fair play to you. Again I'm really sorry if you take this feedback the wrong way, after going to the trouble of making the CD.

It's quite ok - I know it's not to everyone's taste. The CD is a mix of tracks by EBM and Industrial bands (not to subdivide further by subgenre), all of which were big club hits on the Cybergoth scene. Musically there are close links with trance, house and techno and I tend to jokingly think of it as depressing dance music, given the general lyrical content (drugs, love, death, war, suicide). It's not a particularly popular genre in the UK, but there's a three day festival in Bradford which has been going for ten years now (Infest), alongside a couple of notable club nights (Wendy House in Leeds, Slimelight in London) and quite a few regional ones.

Rest assured - absolutely no hard feelings. It was quite a hard, pounding mix after my trip into goth/rock on last months CD, so not to the easiest of listening outside of a sweaty club, full of people with daft clothes and dafter hair (unless of course, you listen to it all regularly - at which point this is typical background/relaxation music). I'll try to post the track listing when I'm back from work, just in case anyone is interested.

EDIT for Tracklisting:

1. Grendel - Soilbleed

2. Combichrist - Fuck That Shit

3. Ultraviolence - Elektra

4. Unter Null - Sick Fuck

5. :Wumpscut: - Wreath of Barbs

6. Rotersand - The Last Ship (Part I)

7. Faderhead - Dirtygrrrls dirtybois

8. Noisuf-x - Fine Line

9. Plastic - Home

10. Apoptygma Berzerk - Electricity (OMD cover)

11. VNV Nation - Beloved

feedback for asm - sorry its so late...

1. i love this track, no idea who it is but its a great start!

2. is this the happy mondays or stone roses? not sure about this one. too 'baggy' for me.

3. bob marley - i dont want to wait in vain - i must admit, i am not a fan of bob marley but i dont mind this track.

4. this is nice, the blokes voice reminds me of bowie for some reason.

5. paul weller? i like this too. nice and jolly.

6. this has a distinct 80's feel. glory days? sounds like huey lewis or someone? its registering as ok.

7. this is great! again, no idea who though. liking the ska mobster sound. :P

8. again, very 80's sound to this. not sure about this one. his voice sounds vaguely familiar.

9. this one makes me giggle with glee. big smiles all round!

10. and again, very 80's. recognise this vaguely. another one that makes me smile.

11. this is great, who is this lady? love the vibe and sound of this. album fave here!!!

12. breathy vocal time on this one. i really like this. second fave on the album. definitely.

13. 80's time again!!! :o i didnt like this to start, but its a definite grower.

14. i LOVE this!!! again, i recognise it from somewhere. another fave here.

15. smoooooooooooooth finish to the mix now. nice closer.

overall, i didnt like it for the first couple f listens but the more i do, the more i like it. as a whole, its different from what i would normally listen to and i like that. somewhat of an 80's feel to the whole thing.

a definite 8 out of 10.

tracklist please!!!

:P

D7515.jpg

My sincere apologies for the delay, a lot on at the moment and it always interfered with this, anyway.....

Track 01 - lovely and minimal. Lush openner. Sounds like The Caretaker

Track 02 - I'm going to take a guess here: Manual. If it isn't then it sounds very much like Manual. It is, simply put, lovely. I am listening to a lot of this sort of thing at the moment, so a good choice indeed :angry:.

Track 03 - I think this is Colleen isn't it? I't s a really nice bit of fragile music, enjoyed this one.

Track 04 - Really really nice bit of ultra-minimal sound here. Not everyone's cup of tea, I'm sure, but it hit the spot for me.

Track 05 - I think this is Sabres Of Paradise, at least it sounds familar to me. Either way it's yet another top selection, very restufl and smooth.

Track 06 - ... and another one! I wouldn't be surprised if this was something to do with Brian Eno, it has that simplicity and beauty to it. This is rather good.

Track 07 - Wim Mertens, I think I put this one on the CD I sent you earlier in the year. There was a time when this track made me weep as it had some connections to certain memories. Even now it's a very powerful piece of music.

Track 08 - I can see the logic of putting this one after the last, it has that same melancholy vibe. It sounds like an instrumental track by Tindersticks, has that feel to it. Lovely stuff.

Track 09 - Ah, Mum (can't do accents, sorry). This particular track brings up some very pleasant memories of a girlfriend I had at the time when it came out (2001 or so). Superb album on the whole.

Track 10 - Another lovely, drifty, non-intrusive piece of electronic music, proabably a little bland in comparison to the others but still a good selection when combined with everything else.

Track 11 - Some windchimes to round off the mix.

Generally-speaking this mix really did hit the spot for me. I know the mix I sent you was similarly minimal and slow, and you returned the favour with style. It's just the sort of music I like to listen to on these increasingly-dark evenings, it's evocative, simple and soothing, but with a melacholy edge. So yes, a big thumbs-up here, superb mix, fits my taste perfectly. Many manythanks!

Thanks for the CD, Vimster. Although your selection of rather minimal guitar janglings and programmed beats wasn't exactly to my tastes, it was an interesting listen. I especially like tracks 4 and 7, with the end track being a nice closer. It's the sort of thing I'd enjoy if I was watching a sunset on an eerie cloudy day. I didn't recognise a single thing however, which is exactly what you'd like sometimes. Cheers!

Oh well, never mind, we can't win them all, as long as there were a couple that took your fancy :angry:

Half Man Half Biscuit - Breaking News

Sportique - Tips For Artists Who Want To Sell Records

Blonde Redhead - Suimasen

I Am Not A Gun - Never Meant To Be

Hausemeister - Paul Ghet's Gut

Styrofoam - I Have To Keep Reminding Myself

Solex - Some Solex

Circulatory System - The Lovely Universe

Broadcast - Unchanging Window / Chord Simple

The Books - Take Time

Stereolab - Monkey Jelly

Casino Vs Japan - Pinwheel

My sincere apologies for the delay, a lot on at the moment and it always interfered with this, anyway.....

Generally-speaking this mix really did hit the spot for me. I know the mix I sent you was similarly minimal and slow, and you returned the favour with style. It's just the sort of music I like to listen to on these increasingly-dark evenings, it's evocative, simple and soothing, but with a melacholy edge. So yes, a big thumbs-up here, superb mix, fits my taste perfectly. Many manythanks!

No worries; I'm glad you liked it. The CD you sent to me was definitely in my mind when I was putting together this one. I had always intended to do a nice ambient/relaxing CD mix and what better time than when your name came up in the PM. It was very much a labour of love with your name on it from the start, and the Wim Mertens track was certainly supposed to be that 'nod' to you that you picked up on, so that was good.

You were right about a lot of the names, not so on others, but here is the full tracklist:

1. The Caretaker - Memory Thirty Nine

2. Mountains - Sheets

3. Colleen - Mining In The Rain

4. Dntel - Pillowcase

5. Pass Into Silence - Iceblink

6. Brian Eno - Drift

7. Wim Mertens - Tourtour

8. Goldmund - 25 Thousand Miles

9. Múm - Sunday Night Just Keeps On Rolling

10. Xerxes - Lo-Fi Beauty

11. Symbion Project - ...

: )