IGNORED

CD Mix Club September

the anti-lfj

Feedback for ZOK, for his funky soul CD...

1. Owusu & Hannibal - Blue Jay (4:31)

Well this a funky start to the mix, I definitely prefer the instrumental bits of this track. The vocals aren't bad or anything, but the music is all nice and funky. Nice track though.

2. Stevie Wonder - Love Having You Around (7:23)

Well I knew who this was from my first play through, and I don't listen to his music at all. But this is pleasent enough, although not enough to want to buy his albums.

3. The Supremes - Bad Weather (3:18)

This has a nice intro, but like Stevie Wonder I don't really dig this. But it's still nice to listen to, once in a while.

4. Charles Earland - Let The Music Play (3:48)

Shannon! Ok, it's not. This is probably the original right? Whatever, I don't think I've heard this before. or I was too young to remember. Anyway, this is much better with it's funky disco beat and female vocals - although it's mostly instrumental. Very nice.

5. Electric Light Orchestra - The Whale (5:02)

Another track I haven't heard before, and a rather soulful number from ELO as well. It's a rather nice instrumental, with that typical ELO sound. Not bad at all.

6. The Style Council - The Garden Of Eden (A Three Piece Suite) (10:30)

Never heard this track either, and it's sounds quite classical almost during the intro. But then the female vocalists starts singing, and she has a lovely voice. The track may last for 10 minutes, but listening you don't get bored. The ending is nice, with an extra bit after a few seconds.

7. Valentine - Reflections (3:19)

A nice chilled instrumental, almost like you get on an Air album. But ZOK will say this is a zillion times better :lol: But anyway, I really like this.

8. Burt Bacharach - Something Big (3:09)

Well this reminds me of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's cover of San Jose (The Way). Listening some more to this track, Trevor Horn and co must've just copied this track.

9. Jack McDuff - Say Sumpin' Nice (4:02)

Hmmm..., I better say sumpin' nice. This is a funky number, and it's got that early 80's US TV show saxaphone going on. The vocals are ace, with male and female singing together. But I like this, as the vocals just repeat the samething over and over, but you get nice instrumental bits inbetween.

10. Donald Byrd - You And Music (5:21)

This flows nicely from the last song, and it almost sounds the same. Again more saxaphone action, but it's more uptempo and it has strings in the background. It has a nice long intro, before the male & female vocals kick in.

11. Gil Scott-Heron - Pieces Of A Man (4:51)

Things slow down with the little number, as Gil sings over a piano and bass (I think). Nice enough, and not something I've heard before. Nice ending though.

12. Curtis Mayfield - Think (Instrumental) (3:48)

This is better though, as we end on a lovely instrumental track. So not bad at all, saying as I don't really listen to this kind of music. Cheers ZOK :blink:

Feedback for ZOK, for his funky soul CD...

1. Owusu & Hannibal - Blue Jay (4:31)

Well this a funky start to the mix, I definitely prefer the instrumental bits of this track. The vocals aren't bad or anything, but the music is all nice and funky. Nice track though.

2. Stevie Wonder - Love Having You Around (7:23)

Well I knew who this was from my first play through, and I don't listen to his music at all. But this is pleasent enough, although not enough to want to buy his albums.

3. The Supremes - Bad Weather (3:18)

This has a nice intro, but like Stevie Wonder I don't really dig this. But it's still nice to listen to, once in a while.

4. Charles Earland - Let The Music Play (3:48)

Shannon! Ok, it's not. This is probably the original right? Whatever, I don't think I've heard this before. or I was too young to remember. Anyway, this is much better with it's funky disco beat and female vocals - although it's mostly instrumental. Very nice.

5. Electric Light Orchestra - The Whale (5:02)

Another track I haven't heard before, and a rather soulful number from ELO as well. It's a rather nice instrumental, with that typical ELO sound. Not bad at all.

6. The Style Council - The Garden Of Eden (A Three Piece Suite) (10:30)

Never heard this track either, and it's sounds quite classical almost during the intro. But then the female vocalists starts singing, and she has a lovely voice. The track may last for 10 minutes, but listening you don't get bored. The ending is nice, with an extra bit after a few seconds.

7. Valentine - Reflections (3:19)

A nice chilled instrumental, almost like you get on an Air album. But ZOK will say this is a zillion times better :blink: But anyway, I really like this.

8. Burt Bacharach - Something Big (3:09)

Well this reminds me of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's cover of San Jose (The Way). Listening some more to this track, Trevor Horn and co must've just copied this track.

9. Jack McDuff - Say Sumpin' Nice (4:02)

Hmmm..., I better say sumpin' nice. This is a funky number, and it's got that early 80's US TV show saxaphone going on. The vocals are ace, with male and female singing together. But I like this, as the vocals just repeat the samething over and over, but you get nice instrumental bits inbetween.

10. Donald Byrd - You And Music (5:21)

This flows nicely from the last song, and it almost sounds the same. Again more saxaphone action, but it's more uptempo and it has strings in the background. It has a nice long intro, before the male & female vocals kick in.

11. Gil Scott-Heron - Pieces Of A Man (4:51)

Things slow down with the little number, as Gil sings over a piano and bass (I think). Nice enough, and not something I've heard before. Nice ending though.

12. Curtis Mayfield - Think (Instrumental) (3:48)

This is better though, as we end on a lovely instrumental track. So not bad at all, saying as I don't really listen to this kind of music. Cheers ZOK :lol:

Cool, I'm glad you liked it all Mr Do! It's funny, I thought you were all over this sort of stuff to be honest, I must be thinking of someone else. Some interesting comments there - I'm especially glad you liked The Style Council track! I can almost forgive you for not listening to Stevie...ALMOST. A couple of bits FYI, the track 'Reflections' by Valentine is from the Rocky OST, and 'Let The Music Play' by Shannon doesn't have any connection with the Charles Earland track, to my knowledge. Oh, also, the amazing sound on the Curtis Mayfield track is an oboe. An oboe! :lol:

I'll stick the track in the Soul thread a bit later, abb.

1. Slowly building intro track, all heavy reverb drums, bass swells and swooping synths. Short and sweet - great start, builds expectation. Expecting something pounding to follow.

2. Not pounding. Drum machine and drone intro - quite minimalist. Either mid-to-late eighties, or certainly done with that in mind - touches of OMD (reminds me of Electricity in places). Like it. Ah, Human League. Of course.

3. More synthpop, heavily vocodered vocals. Has a wonderful cheap disco vibe - could imagine dancing to it at a trashy electro night - has early Roland drum machine written all over it. Lyrically quite depressing. Nice.

4. Depeche Mode - Tora Tora Tora. Great track, which I've not really listened to before. For some reason, I didn't get into Depeche Mode - odd considering the debt owed them by many of the bands I listen to more frequently (especially the like of Mesh and Iris).

5. Minor key synth led stuff. SOunds much better loud, when I can hear the drums and bass. Good filler track.

6. Good melodic synth track, with an odd fragment of noise at the end.

7. Joy Divison - Atmosphere. Haven't heard this in ages, and its such a strong track. Thanks for putting it on here and reminding me. Clear precursor to bands like VNV Nation - really makes me think of Beloved, from my September CD.

8. Slow synth atmospherics. Short filler track.

9. Quiet, introspective track. Soft, almost like a lullaby.

10. More melodic synth sparkles. I like these fillers.

The CD came with 'Enjoy' written on it, and enjoy it I did. It was nice to listen to a lot of early synthpop again, rather than the more modern stuff that normally graces my speakers, particularly as I've been playing a lot of much harder stuff recently. Probably my favourite CD so far from the club, and one that will make it onto my wife's mp3 player as soon as I get the full track listing. Greatly appreciated, especially for the Joy Division.

1. Slowly building intro track, all heavy reverb drums, bass swells and swooping synths. Short and sweet - great start, builds expectation. Expecting something pounding to follow.

2. Not pounding. Drum machine and drone intro - quite minimalist. Either mid-to-late eighties, or certainly done with that in mind - touches of OMD (reminds me of Electricity in places). Like it. Ah, Human League. Of course.

3. More synthpop, heavily vocodered vocals. Has a wonderful cheap disco vibe - could imagine dancing to it at a trashy electro night - has early Roland drum machine written all over it. Lyrically quite depressing. Nice.

4. Depeche Mode - Tora Tora Tora. Great track, which I've not really listened to before. For some reason, I didn't get into Depeche Mode - odd considering the debt owed them by many of the bands I listen to more frequently (especially the like of Mesh and Iris).

5. Minor key synth led stuff. SOunds much better loud, when I can hear the drums and bass. Good filler track.

6. Good melodic synth track, with an odd fragment of noise at the end.

7. Joy Divison - Atmosphere. Haven't heard this in ages, and its such a strong track. Thanks for putting it on here and reminding me. Clear precursor to bands like VNV Nation - really makes me think of Beloved, from my September CD.

8. Slow synth atmospherics. Short filler track.

9. Quiet, introspective track. Soft, almost like a lullaby.

10. More melodic synth sparkles. I like these fillers.

The CD came with 'Enjoy' written on it, and enjoy it I did. It was nice to listen to a lot of early synthpop again, rather than the more modern stuff that normally graces my speakers, particularly as I've been playing a lot of much harder stuff recently. Probably my favourite CD so far from the club, and one that will make it onto my wife's mp3 player as soon as I get the full track listing. Greatly appreciated, especially for the Joy Division.

Excellent, really glad you enjoyed my CD. Here's the tracklisting as requested...

01 Cabaret Voltaire - Theme From Earthshaker

02 The League Unlimited Orchestra - Things That Dreams Are Made Of

03 Adult. - Skinlike (Equation Mix)

04 Depeche Mode - Tora! Tora! Tora!

05 The Human League - The Dignity of Labour, Pt. 1

06 New Order - Don't Do It

07 Joy Division - Atmosphere

08 Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - 66 & Fading (Edit)

09 Au Revoir Simone - And Sleep Al Mar

10 Funki Porcini - Last Night Over Norway

David Heath, got your CD this morning. I'll give some feedback later this week.

What the fu ... seriously?

I literally posted it about a week and a half ago, and have LITERALLY JUST THIS SECOND re-packaged up a new one ready to send off.

^_^

EDIT: I'm also going home this weekend, so I'll be able to collect the CD I have been sent to listen to.

Tracklistings for Acidbearboy

1 - Hammock District - Living Room 01

2 - Grandmaster Gareth - Mushroom Clouds

3 - John Bender 31A4

4 - James Holden - 10101

5 - John Foxx - Metal Beat

6 - Triosk & Jan Jelinek - On The Lake

7 - Robert Wyatt - Lullaloop

8 - Belle and Sebastian - Electronic Renaissance

9 - Jean Jacques Perrey & Luke Vibert - Analogues Generiques

10 - Ladyscraper - Stick

11 - Black Moth Super Rainbow - I Am The Alphabet

12 - Justus Koehncke - Pickpockets

13 - Y.A.C.H.T - I Love a Computer

Sorry about the delay, I threw in the other disc cus I had meant to give you the Pharoah Sanders from last month but completely forgot. I didn't have any cds left so I just filled a DVD for you ;)

Yes please. Sorry I haven't posted any feedback yet. I will soon, honest.

No worries. Tracklist:

01. Shellac - The End Of Radio

02. Deerhunter - Cryptograms

03. Menomena - Muscle'n Flo

04. Matthew Dear - Deserter

05. Yo La Tengo - Moby Octopad

06. Can - Father Cannot Yell

07. Caribou - Sundialing

08. Jonquil - Sudden Sun

09. Skeletons And The Kings Of All Cities - Sickness

10. Akron/Family - Ed Is a Portal (Edit)