IGNORED

CD Mix Club September

the anti-lfj

Feedback for anewman:

1) Hmmm…straight away I’m not struck by this…I don’t think much of the girl’s voice, it’s a bit like a poor man’s Kate Bush at times. Also, the lyrics are a bit dull. The piano is okay I guess, but it all sounds a bit amateur. I liked the talking bit about the scarf though!

2) I like the twiddly bits going on in the background here, but not the vocals…it’s quite a cool tune when it gets going. I don’t like the singing, but I really like the music – I could really go for this if it was an instrumental. Yes, whenever these guys open their mouths they spoil it for me.

3) Not a lot for me here either…it’s a bit rocky, it’s got that going for it. Is it recent Bruce Springsteen or something?

4) This one’s quite jolly! Not a hugely adventurous tune, but it made me tap my toe and nod my head. The best bit is the little bass bit after the rap, right at the end.

5) I am in love with this from the opening notes…synthesised steel drums! It’s like Christmas. Brilliant vocals and lyrics! Fantastic. I love this girl’s voice, and the kooky song. Crazy falsettos! This gets five Gs. Too short by far.

6) I like this to start with…don’t know if I’m going to get on with this guy’s voice though. Lovely little plinky-plonk melody, I approve. Nice little synth twiddles too. The tune just gets better and better, it’s like new wave country – not fussed with the guy’s singing though. Love the fuzzed out guitars and the mandolin, or whatever it is. Great music.

7) I like this, but I have an aversion to guys who sing like this (as you can probably tell!)…I really like the music, and the backing vocals, but the singer gets on my tits a bit. It could grow on me though, it’s such a nice tune. I bet he sings sitting down.

:) I’m an instant fan, and it just keeps getting better. I love everything about this track. Magnificent.

9) A bit cheesy this, to be honest. Urk! I wrote that before the terrible chorus came in…beyond awful. I quite like the whiny synth that sounds like it’s out of tune, but that’s about it. Man, this gets worse and worse with the old guy coming in – it’s like Arrested Development never happened! Astonishingly bad. I bet they were really pleased when they made it too. Devoid of almost any merit whatsoever for me, I’m afraid!

Sorry I couldn’t be more positive, but I guess it wasn’t my sort of thing really – mainly because of a personal aversion to a particular style of singing I suppose. A shame really, because I liked the backing music. Anyway, tracks five and eight were just amazing, so thanks! Tracklist please!

Been in London since thursday and just got back today, thanks for the CD noob, listening to it now...

1 - Sounds very familiar, very french, something from a Jeunet film maybe? Nice short introduction track

2 - Very repetitive bass from the start, nice layering of vocals and then guitar and keys. I think the vocals are saying 'Fujiya. Miyagi.' so I guess it's them. I've got one of their albums downloaded but haven't given it much attention yet. I like this a lot, very laid back, quite minimal so far but definitely has enough to keep my attention.

3 - Lovely guitar straight away and a very familiar voice, the plucked violin makes me think it's Andrew Bird maybe. Nothing majorly challenging and no risk taking here but it's just a nice, simple track that works. It must be Andrew Bird, there's the whistling.

4 - Quite a jump in styles here to a hip hop track, the voice is very odd, it sounds like a woman imitating Michael Jackson imitating a child. Nice strings in the background, there's a section with a guy speaking arabic I think. Not sure about this at the moment, I'll need to give it a few more listens.

5 - A cover of Blue Monday done in a tropicalia style. I'm not really a fan of 'quirky' covers, it's pleasant enough but I'd probably like it a bit more with a different singer, this sounds a bit too forcebly cutesy and whispery.

6 - Sounds very early 90s dance to start off with, not a fan of the soul-less drumming and wailing backing vocals but it's weird, the track as a whole sounds more than a sum of its parts and it's not too bad at all, just something I wouldn't normally seek out

7 - Another one straight from early 90s dance, this one I enjoy a lot more... at least until the key change, but that hasn't stayed too long. The strings in the background compliment the main body of the song very well, nice and upbeat track, it goes on a bit too long though.

8 - Nice beat and oscillating synth sounds in the intro, not such a fan of the vocals but overall an enjoyable track

9 - Nice synthetic drum sounds, more nice strings, another cutesy voice but this one seems to fit the track better. Nice, gentle, electronic pop

10 - Simple acoustic number, a guy and his guitar, reminds me of ballboy for some reason. Very laid back, fairly repetitve chords, I'd like to hear more of this guy. My only real criticism is it goes a bit overboard on the lovey-dovey sentiment.

11 - Wasn't too sure about the intro, but the main track is great so far, love the bass on it and the rapping's got my head bopping, the intro bit is back and fits in a bit better now but I prefer the rapping

12 - The twinkling intro bit sounds very familiar, distorted guitar building up now and drowning out the twinkly wii noises of the intro, it might be My Bloody Valentine maybe, got that sort of sound to it, quite an ambient track so far but around 3.25 proper chords have come in. I'm pretty sure this is MBV and while I've got Loveless, I've never seen the attraction but this track on it's own is definitely right up my street.

13 - Some sort of operatic thing, Edith Piaf maybe?

Overall, some hits, some misses but the hits were all things I'd like to hear more of and the misses weren't bad tracks, just not my thing, the only one that bored me was track 6. The styles seemed to jump about a bit from track to track but it didn't seem to be to any detriment of the CD on a whole. It was actually quite nice hearing bits and pieces of different genres, it made it seem more like a selection of your favourite music rather than a mix that was tied down to one specific theme or sound.

2,3 and 12 were my standouts but I'd like a track list to see who else I need to have a look for.

Cheers!

A playlist for Mr Do!

01 - Owusu & Hannibal - Blue Jay

02 - Stevie Wonder - Love Having You Around

03 - The Supremes - Bad Weather

04 - Charles Earland - Let The Music Play

05 - Electric Light Orchestra - The Whale

06 - The Style Council - The Garden Of Eden (A Three Piece Suite)

07 - Valentine - Reflections

08 - Burt Bacharach - Something Big

09 - Jack McDuff - Say Sumpin' Nice

10 - Donald Byrd - You And Music

11 - Gil Scott-Heron - Pieces Of A Man

12 - Curtis Mayfield - Think (Instrumental)

I'm still waiting for one from anewman... :(

Oh god. I'm probably definitely going to do this tonight. Although it'll have to be after work till 6ish, play badminton for an hour or so, go out for a quick drink, get home and cook dinner for my flatmates (my turn), do some laundry and ironing etc.

Actually maybe I could do the tracklist sometime today. At lunch perhaps!

:(

Been in London since thursday and just got back today, thanks for the CD noob, listening to it now...

1 - Sounds very familiar, very french, something from a Jeunet film maybe? Nice short introduction track

absolutely!!! je suis j'amais alle - yann tiersen (amelie ost) - need i say more?

2 - Very repetitive bass from the start, nice layering of vocals and then guitar and keys. I think the vocals are saying 'Fujiya. Miyagi.' so I guess it's them. I've got one of their albums downloaded but haven't given it much attention yet. I like this a lot, very laid back, quite minimal so far but definitely has enough to keep my attention.

correct again!!! ankle injuries - fujiya & miyagi - saw the video for this somewhere then alan introduced me to it again. amazing.

3 - Lovely guitar straight away and a very familiar voice, the plucked violin makes me think it's Andrew Bird maybe. Nothing majorly challenging and no risk taking here but it's just a nice, simple track that works. It must be Andrew Bird, there's the whistling.

and again, correct!!! scythian empire - andrew bird - dont know much about this guy. alan introduced me to his lovely tones.

4 - Quite a jump in styles here to a hip hop track, the voice is very odd, it sounds like a woman imitating Michael Jackson imitating a child. Nice strings in the background, there's a section with a guy speaking arabic I think. Not sure about this at the moment, I'll need to give it a few more listens.

sunset - nintin shawney - just beautiful. introduced to this by crisp rapper.

5 - A cover of Blue Monday done in a tropicalia style. I'm not really a fan of 'quirky' covers, it's pleasant enough but I'd probably like it a bit more with a different singer, this sounds a bit too forcebly cutesy and whispery.

blue monday - nouvelle vague - cheesy cover which i kinda like.

6 - Sounds very early 90s dance to start off with, not a fan of the soul-less drumming and wailing backing vocals but it's weird, the track as a whole sounds more than a sum of its parts and it's not too bad at all, just something I wouldn't normally seek out

white love (radio mix) - one dove - a big blast from my past here. dot allison on vocals.

7 - Another one straight from early 90s dance, this one I enjoy a lot more... at least until the key change, but that hasn't stayed too long. The strings in the background compliment the main body of the song very well, nice and upbeat track, it goes on a bit too long though.

hug my soul - saint etienne :lol:

8 - Nice beat and oscillating synth sounds in the intro, not such a fan of the vocals but overall an enjoyable track

breathe me (mylo remix) - sia - the vocalist from alot of zero 7 stuff. amazing solo effort.

9 - Nice synthetic drum sounds, more nice strings, another cutesy voice but this one seems to fit the track better. Nice, gentle, electronic pop

time flies - nina hynes - irish lady who is just brilliantly bonkers.

10 - Simple acoustic number, a guy and his guitar, reminds me of ballboy for some reason. Very laid back, fairly repetitve chords, I'd like to hear more of this guy. My only real criticism is it goes a bit overboard on the lovey-dovey sentiment.

birthday song - ben lee - the sentiment is the whole idea. its a lovesong!!! ;)

11 - Wasn't too sure about the intro, but the main track is great so far, love the bass on it and the rapping's got my head bopping, the intro bit is back and fits in a bit better now but I prefer the rapping

electric skies - dana bryant - saw this lady on tv many years ago, a beat poet from new york. she looks a lot like tyra banks but the album this comes from is one of my all time faves. the guy rapping is the guy from arrested development.

12 - The twinkling intro bit sounds very familiar, distorted guitar building up now and drowning out the twinkly wii noises of the intro, it might be My Bloody Valentine maybe, got that sort of sound to it, quite an ambient track so far but around 3.25 proper chords have come in. I'm pretty sure this is MBV and while I've got Loveless, I've never seen the attraction but this track on it's own is definitely right up my street.

sweet love for planet earth - fuck buttons - one from a previous mix club i received and go back to time and time again. just lovely.

13 - Some sort of operatic thing, Edith Piaf maybe?

intro to handels largo - ??? - first thing played on radio fact fans!!!

Overall, some hits, some misses but the hits were all things I'd like to hear more of and the misses weren't bad tracks, just not my thing, the only one that bored me was track 6. The styles seemed to jump about a bit from track to track but it didn't seem to be to any detriment of the CD on a whole. It was actually quite nice hearing bits and pieces of different genres, it made it seem more like a selection of your favourite music rather than a mix that was tied down to one specific theme or sound.

2,3 and 12 were my standouts but I'd like a track list to see who else I need to have a look for.

Cheers!

Okay, here's a tracklist for ZOK, finally...

01 - Be Mine (Ballad Version) - Robyn - The Rakamonie EP

02 - Wet and Rusting - Menomena - Friend and Foe

03 - Radio Nowhere - Bruce Springsteen - Magic

04 - Push (feat. Showtyme, Mela Machinko & Tower of Power) - Pharaohe Monch - Desire

05 - Pass This On - The Knife - Deep Cuts

06 - Scythian Empire - Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha

07 - The Party Punch - Oh No! Oh My! - Between The Devil And The Sea

08 - This Is Now - Deep Cuts - The Knife

09 - Forever Begins - Common - Finding Forever

Cheers!

It's apparent that I need to get hold of this Deep Cuts album. I've looked on Amazon and there are a few different versions - I'm not interested in the DVDs that come with it, but are any of the versions worth getting for extra songs?

Received mine today, thanks. Think I'm gonna struggle to appreciate this one, so apologies in advance if I post comments that sound harsh :(

Hopefully I should get mine done and posted for the weekend, working some stupidly long days at the moment, and haven't really decided what to do - currently thinking soundtracks might be an idea....

Sorry, bph.

20th Century Fox Intro

Jump Around - House of Pain

Apache - Sugarhill Gang

Rappers Delight - Sugarhill Gang

Right Here, Right Now - Fatboy Slim

We Close Our Eyes - Go West

The Reflex - Duran Duran

Gimme All Your - Lovin ZZ Top

Out of Touch - Hall & Oates

Automatic - Pointer Sisters

I Wanna Dance With Somebody - Whitney Houston

Billy Ocean - Get Out of My Car

Holiday - Madonna

Lionel Richie - All Night Long

Word Up - Cameo

The Four Seasons - What a Night

Billie Jean - Michael Jackson

Shake Your Rump (Acappella) - Beastie Boys

Mighty Boss Tones - Knock On Wood

Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Rocking All Over The World - Status Quo

Baywatch Theme

A Little Less Men In Black - Will Smith Vs. JXL

Give It Up - The Goodmen

Everybody Loves a Carnival - Fatboy Slim

Shine Like a Star - Aswad

Shaggy - Mr. Boombastic

Switch - Will Smith

Fresh Prince of Bel Air - Fresh Prince

Informer - Snow

Return of the Mack - Mark Morrison

Addicted To Love - Robert Palmer

Two Tickets to Paradise - Eddie Money

Living on a Prayer - Bon Jovi

Back in Time - Huey Lewis & The News

Living Joy - I'm a Dreamer

U Sure Do - Strike

Rhythm Is a Dancer - Snap!

Give It Up - KC & the Sunshine Band

I'm Your Man - Wham!

Don't Stop Till You Get Enough - Michael Jackson

The Right Stuff - New Kids On The Block

It Doesn't Have To Be This Way - Blow Monkeys

Pray - Take That

You Can Call Me Al - Paul Simon

Sorry, bph.

20th Century Fox Intro

Apache - Sugarhill Gang

Rappers Delight - Sugarhill Gang

Right Here, Right Now - Fatboy Slim

We Close Our Eyes - Go West

The Reflex - Duran Duran

Gimme All Your - Lovin ZZ Top

Out of Touch - Hall & Oates

Automatic - Pointer Sisters

I Wanna Dance With Somebody - Whitney Houston

Billy Ocean - Get Out of My Car

Holiday - Madonna

Lionel Richie - All Night Long

Word Up - Cameo

The Four Seasons - What a Night

Billie Jean - Michael Jackson

Shake Your Rump (Acappella) - Beastie Boys

Mighty Boss Tones - Knock On Wood

Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Rocking All Over The World - Status Quo

Baywatch Theme

A Little Less Men In Black - Will Smith Vs. JXL

Give It Up - The Goodmen

Everybody Loves a Carnival - Fatboy Slim

Shine Like a Star - Aswad

Shaggy - Mr. Boombastic

Switch - Will Smith

Fresh Prince of Bel Air - Fresh Prince

Informer - Snow

Return of the Mack - Mark Morrison

Addicted To Love - Robert Palmer

Two Tickets to Paradise - Eddie Money

Living on a Prayer - Bon Jovi

Back in Time - Huey Lewis & The News

Living Joy - I'm a Dreamer

U Sure Do - Strike

Rhythm Is a Dancer - Snap!

Give It Up - KC & the Sunshine Band

I'm Your Man - Wham!

Don't Stop Till You Get Enough - Michael Jackson

The Right Stuff - New Kids On The Block

It Doesn't Have To Be This Way - Blow Monkeys

Pray - Take That

You Can Call Me Al - Paul Simon

Wow!

A playlist for Mr Do!

01 - Owusu & Hannibal - Blue Jay

02 - Stevie Wonder - Love Having You Around

03 - The Supremes - Bad Weather

04 - Charles Earland - Let The Music Play

05 - Electric Light Orchestra - The Whale

06 - The Style Council - The Garden Of Eden (A Three Piece Suite)

07 - Valentine - Reflections

08 - Burt Bacharach - Something Big

09 - Jack McDuff - Say Sumpin' Nice

10 - Donald Byrd - You And Music

11 - Gil Scott-Heron - Pieces Of A Man

12 - Curtis Mayfield - Think (Instrumental)

Feedback this weekend! Sorry for the delay, I blame RllmukFM :)