IGNORED

Edge issue 180

Janski

Like they didn't with Half Life 2 then? That was also an FPS where the enjoyment was drawn from areas other than its combat. The enemy AI was almost non-existent, leading to your foes relying almost entirely on scripting that led to identical encounters on every replay. What's more, none of the weapons felt as meaty as they should have been.

A clear ten then!

Two wrongs don't make a right. :angry:

Although I can't believe I'm engaging in a discussion about what two different (probably) reviewers gave two different games. Bah.

About the bioshock review

2. Everyone has said the combat is at best flawed, and that joy is rendered from other areas. The game IS and fps, so perhaps people that like combat, people that say give Halo 10/10, feel this is major enough to dock 2 full points. Which is fair enough.

Um, I love the combat. I'm only three hours in, so maybe something breaks it later on that I've not seen yet, but I'm really enjoying swapping between plasmids and guns to take down foes.

It's one of the reasons I'm enjoying the game so much.

Um, I love the combat. I'm only three hours in, so maybe something breaks it later on that I've not seen yet, but I'm really enjoying swapping between plasmids and guns to take down foes.

It's one of the reasons I'm enjoying the game so much.

Ditto. I've seen people bitching about the combat and prepared for the worst. However I find I'm doing exactly the same as you, mixing it up and having a blast.

Of course, the real highlight of the issue is the amazing Xenogears Time Extend.

Right?

Right?

...Hello?

Don't worry, I think Time Extends are often most interesting when they are about the passions you don't share, it's always interesting to see why people hold something so close to their hearts when you don't yourself.

And seriously, 8's a fine score. As others have said, in a bell curve of opinion, there's some lower and some higher. Edge leans low too, so an 8 is quite reasonable. When I heard the score someone else told me, I was expecting a Doom-esque "If only you could TALK to the monsters - now that WOULD be something..." review, which would haunt 'em forever. But I suspect this is fine. Looking forward to reading it.

But going the other way ENTIRELY... did the reviewer really think the *opening* was the good bit?

Oh and also... what's the making of?

KG

What's Xenogears?

Up until FFXII I would have said it was the best RPG on the PS2.

It was going to be a huge 9 game saga, but alas they decided to bork things up with the sequel and the third one really.

However, if you don't like 30 - 40min cutscenes puntuating the gameplay, then you'll hate it with a passion!

Up until FFXII I would have said it was the best RPG on the PS2.

It was going to be a huge 9 game saga, but alas they decided to bork things up with the sequel and the third one really.

However, if you don't like 30 - 40min cutscenes puntuating the gameplay, then you'll hate it with a passion!

You're confusing Xenogears and Xenosaga, silly! Xenogears is PS1.

Although the cutscene thing is just as valid, except that it's 30 - 40 minutes of pressing X to advance text boxes.

I wish they'd do a Final Fantasy Tactics on it and re-release it with a better translation. Never going to happen though.

As interesting as six pages dissecting a review I've never read about a game thats still classed as really good may be I'd like to know what else is in the issue please?

Care to do a breakdown of reviews, previews and features plus more details about the Mario Galaxy cover would be a plus. Does it reveal some new stages and screenshots? Would you rate the issue as highly as last months for content?

These threads are beyond a parody of themselves now.

Oh and most importantly what books have they reviewed this month?

You're confusing Xenogears and Xenosaga, silly! Xenogears is PS1.

Although the cutscene thing is just as valid, except that it's 30 - 40 minutes of pressing X to advance text boxes.

I wish they'd do a Final Fantasy Tactics on it and re-release it with a better translation. Never going to happen though.

Curses.

Well...um...after FFVII, it's the best RPG on the PSone.

Although I don't really think that.

My fave FF on the PSone was FFVIII...and then FFVII. So Xenogears falls into third place.

Not too shabby though.