IGNORED

Edge issue 180

Janski

From what I've played (the demo), Bioshock isn't doing anything out of this world. It does have an amazing style and atmosphere, but it does not really move the FPS genre onwards beyond that. The game mechanics don't seem to be revolutionary.

I've got through the medical centre. The game mechanics thus far are very deus ex/system shock - which means they're not revolutionary, but it's hardly like there are millions of games a year trying to copy them...

Edge gave The Darkness 8. Now I've been playing that this week. It's ok, but Bioshock looks like a much better FPS. I have only played the demo though.

Actually they game it a 7 but I agree with your point, its shit.

What, you thought an 8/10 was unfair for Gears? There's a line between excitement and pure hype.

I'm surprised Bioshock got an 8, but in Edge's ratings-stand-forever system it makes some kind of twisted sense. It's being hyped a little bit much simply because it's the first game of it's type on this hardware generation. Oblivion got an easy ride for similar reasons. I think we're going to see several more games clearing the bar Bioshock has raised in the next couple of years.

Not a chance.

I'm never suprised by Eurogamers crazy marking (Sensi), but i do feel they under-marked the game just to get publicity. A trick Edge love to do also. They're basically saying the PCG review was wrong? I'm sorry but Bio has been one constant high for me. The atmosphere is untouchable..and watching the big daddy / little sister relationship is awesome.

I'm surprised Bioshock got an 8, but in Edge's ratings-stand-forever system it makes some kind of twisted sense. It's being hyped a little bit much simply because it's the first game of it's type on this hardware generation. Oblivion got an easy ride for similar reasons. I think we're going to see several more games clearing the bar Bioshock has raised in the next couple of years.

Not a chance.

Please name another game of its type due out in the next 18 months so I can look forward to it.

I've got through the medical centre. The game mechanics thus far are very deus ex/system shock - which means they're not revolutionary, but it's hardly like there are millions of games a year trying to copy them...

From the demo it seems like a more arcadey system shock 2, which is fine by me.

I've not read the review (prob like 9/10ths of the people in the thread) so I don't know why they've marked it less than PES4, Soul Calibur 2 and Burnout 3, but I can only assume that originality isn't really rated that highly.

From the demo it seems like a more arcadey system shock 2, which is fine by me.

I've not read the review (prob like 9/10ths of the people in the thread) so I don't know why they've marked it less than PES4, Soul Calibur 2 and Burnout 3, but I can only assume that originality isn't really rated that highly.

It's amazing really. It's the only game I've played that has an environment that feels like a real place and completely absorbs you into the story. I guess that makes it just about as good as a game with vagina filled corridors, aliens and a bad ass native American.

Is it only me that thinks just because two games get the same score they can still be different?

PES might get a 9 but it doesn't mean it's a better game than Bioshock per se. It's probably safe to say it's a better football game than Bioshock.

But, c'mon, some people are going to like this more than Halo and some people aren't. The score is irrelevant to some degree...no matter what the score, there would be people saying it's wrong.

I don't even know why I'm typing this...it's an unwritten rule that Edge threads pan out this way.

An FPS with powers? ;)

A fully realised action/adventure game.

I'm never suprised by Eurogamers crazy marking (Sensi), but i do feel they under-marked the game just to get publicity.

I have no great respect for EG's reviewing either, but that's just fanboy talk.

I'm not saying I agree with the Edge Bioshock 8, just theorising what the thinking might be behind it. Perhaps they've played a couple of other very good games that are due soon.

Please name another game of its type due out in the next 18 months so I can look forward to it.

Fallout 3, Metroid Prime 3, Mass Effect maybe, RE5, Mafia 2 depending on where they go with it. I mean, big adventurey games you can spend a chunk of time on, rather than games directly following the Looking Glass formula, necessarily.

I think Mass Effect is going to be bigger than BioShock, although it is good to see MS releasing a big title this time of the year and not saving them all for last quarter.

That is the game which I think will be a 9 in Edge.

Edge love Bioware ;)

A fully realised action/adventure game.

I have no great respect for EG's reviewing either, but that's just fanboy talk.

You would think, but it makes business sense. The more (relatively safely) controversial a site or mag is, they more it's talked about. I have no doubt they throw in the scores that will create the most impact, accuracy is secondary.

Fallout 3, Metroid Prime 3, Mass Effect maybe, RE5, Mafia 2 depending on where they go with it. I mean, big adventurey games you can spend a chunk of time on, rather than games directly following the Looking Glass formula, necessarily.

Surely all of those games will be marked down because of a potential lack of originality much has Bioshock has. Obviously only an assumption but as they're all sequels they will presumably be as similar to their forebears as Bio is to System Shock ?

You would think, but it makes business sense. The more (relatively safely) controversial a site or mag is, they more it's talked about. I have no doubt they throw in the scores that will create the most impact, accuracy is secondary.

You're talking complete nonsense. "Relatively safely controversial"? ;) No, they're just giving their honest opinion. If you're going to accuse them of shady shenanigans whenever that opinion doesn't match yours to the letter, you're going to live a very paranoid life.

About the bioshock review

1. A fair few people on the forum have said it deserves an eight and no one screamed burn it with fire so why can't an Edge staffer feel the same?

2. Everyone has said the combat is at best flawed, and that joy is rendered from other areas. The game IS and fps, so perhaps people that like combat, people that say give Halo 10/10, feel this is major enough to dock 2 full points. Which is fair enough.

3. The people reviewing Bio Shock are likely to have played Metroid 3 and Halo 3 and Crysis extensively, and so perhaps have a more advanced spectrum of FPS quality than most people here. Maybe in the light of those titles, Bio Shocks advanced just aren't worthy of the genius hyperbole

4. 8/10 is still a very fine score.

2. Everyone has said the combat is at best flawed, and that joy is rendered from other areas. The game IS and fps, so perhaps people that like combat, people that say give Halo 10/10, feel this is major enough to dock 2 full points. Which is fair enough.

Like they didn't with Half Life 2 then? That was also an FPS where the enjoyment was drawn from areas other than its combat. The enemy AI was almost non-existent, leading to your foes relying almost entirely on scripting that led to identical encounters on every replay. What's more, none of the weapons felt as meaty as they should have been.

A clear ten then!

For the record, I agree with that score for HL2. The game was excellent, and the weak combat was greatly overshadowed by everything that was great about the game. The same is true for Bioshock.