IGNORED

Edge issue 180

Janski

I think that's what most newspapers do already.

Pokemon Diamond.

Latest in Pokemon series by those crazy japanese programmers. "Gota catch em all!" is still correct. You have to catch monsters in balls and make them fight. I you win you get more monsters. The kids will love it.

score *****

Bioshock

Latest adventure from Xbox. Creepy and scary but hard to follow and i kept dying. Avoid.

score *

surely the score for space giraffe is corrupted since one of their article writers worked on it? Just a bit at least surely? everyone in this forum hates the game, at least all the people in the thread for it (last I chekced at least)

surely the score for space giraffe is corrupted since one of their article writers worked on it? Just a bit at least surely? everyone in this forum hates the game, at least all the people in the thread for it (last I chekced at least)

Ninja Theory had a series of articles all about Heavenly Sword and that got what must be a hugely dissapointing score.

Um, apart from the the people who have posted in that thread saying they love it. Like me.

Thing that comes across with bioshock is that it screams 'ATMOSPHERE! I'm ORIGINAL!!, I LOOK AMAZING!! I AM FULL OF GREAT IDEAS!!'

where as the original Halo sort of screamed 'GAMEPLAY GAMEPLAY GAMEPLAY!! BALANCED CONTROLS! BIG OPEN AREAS UNLIKE ANY OTHER FPS!!'

...and I know Edge really respect games that shout about gameplay. I imagine if you stuck bioshock in a huge warehouse and turned all the lights on and strip out all the little narrative elements as well as all normal and spec maps it would probably just be a better than average FPS.

By the way, I've not played bioshock OR halo. This is just how it looks to me.

I genuinely expected a 10 for Bio (and a 4 for Giraffe). It's not that im angry they dont agree with me, it just dissapointing that the mag must be written by people who don't rate my (and i cant see anything topping it) game of the year. It taints their other articles.

I genuinely expected a 10 for Bio (and a 4 for Giraffe). It's not that im angry they dont agree with me, it just dissapointing that the mag must be written by people who don't rate my (and i cant see anything topping it) game of the year. It taints their other articles.

If only they knew that when writing the review, I'm sure things would have turned out differently.

I can guarantee* that this is Edge's standard tactic of getting internet publicity for itself. They know how highly regarded Bio is review-wise. They're performing their standard trick of deliberately trying to piss all over people's excitement for a high profile game (see also: eurogamer Gears review). Wot a bunch of cocks.

What, you thought an 8/10 was unfair for Gears? There's a line between excitement and pure hype.

I'm surprised Bioshock got an 8, but in Edge's ratings-stand-forever system it makes some kind of twisted sense. It's being hyped a little bit much simply because it's the first game of it's type on this hardware generation. Oblivion got an easy ride for similar reasons. I think we're going to see several more games clearing the bar Bioshock has raised in the next couple of years.

Halo 3 is being set up for a 10.

Not a chance.

Based on all the other reviews out there with them all being in the 90's or above, does it really matter that one review scored a bit lower than the others? I dont think its going to change the majority of buyers opinions and im also pretty sure Edge must have had their reasons. Playing devils advocate here, but fair play to them to be honest as they obviously found some flaws which others seemed to have ignored? Hype does seem to affect scores these days, and may take a bold magazine like edge to give an accurate review over everyone elses 100%.

This is all purely speculation on my part as neither have I played Bioshock or bought Edge.

Just picked this up from HMV LE version for thirty eight quid ( game next door wanted forty, gamestation three minutes away from them wanted forty-five) Play through and back to GS, then.

Going in demo free - really can't wait for tonight.

Re the review: Does anyone honestly really care about what X,Y,or z think these days? - they're just opinions of people, dare I say it, like you or I - gamers. They've all said things you've agree with and disagreed with, like anyone on this forum.

Oh....they do still care...I'll be quiet.

*scuttles off to check copy of BS works*

I'm surprised Bioshock got an 8, but in Edge's ratings-stand-forever system it makes some kind of twisted sense. It's being hyped a little bit much simply because it's the first game of it's type on this hardware generation. Oblivion got an easy ride for similar reasons. I think we're going to see several more games clearing the bar Bioshock has raised in the next couple of years.

Surely if Bioshock is the one setting the bar for other games to surpass then it means that it is the best example of its sub-genre to date, and as such should be a 9 or a 10? What's the point in scoring a game down just because it may be surpassed at some date in the future..

And Bioshock is being hyped because it's a bloody good game, as was Oblivion when it was released

From what I've played (the demo), Bioshock isn't doing anything out of this world. It does have an amazing style and atmosphere, but it does not really move the FPS genre onwards beyond that. The game mechanics don't seem to be revolutionary.

An 8 does seem harsh, but I doubt that it will make much difference to the sales and impact the game will make.

Here's hoping it is a huge financial success and pushes other developers to introduce more originality in story/setting. Space Marines? Yawn.