IGNORED

Edge issue 180

Janski

The Bioshock review is a good example. They were clearly excited by the moral dilemmas in the preview, but pointed out that it was a massive failure in the review. Bit of a weird review still though, it spends most of the review making the point that it falls short of 100% greatness, but doesn't talk much about why it's 80% great, if you know what I mean.

I'm enjoying the magazine still though. I'm not sure what the magic ingredient is, but it feels less analytical and more enthusiastic than it was. The Mario Galaxy preview, like the Halo 3 one last month, has me all juiced up.

It reads a bit like it did 7 or 8 years ago before it disappeared up it's own ass, the last two issues have been great. I'm liking the enthusiasm more than the jaded cynism it's had over the last few years.

I suppose. It just makes the review seem a bit unbalanced, that's all. I wish they would ditch the scores already.

But without the score you'd complain they'd completely slated Bioshock. :)

I don't have a problem with reviews of good games dwelling on their shortcomings, it seems natural that when presented with something that is great but not perfect you look at why it isn't perfect, and when presented with something that appears to be a bit run of the mill but is better you concentrate on what sets it apart.

This does make it hard to read reviews without some context, but I think that's true of any review really.

To be fair to Edge, I think their review balanced out all the overwhelmingly positive critiques. If you know everyone else is giving it 10/10 - and even if you don't, the hyperbole generated from videos and previews (including Edge themselves) was almost universally gushing - then your 8/10 review is bound to focus more on the negatives.

But without the score you'd complain they'd completely slated Bioshock. :)

Ha! Probably. I guess all the signs pointed to this being exceptional, bordering on revolutionary, and the review focussed more on explaining the gap between it merely being excellent rather than outstanding, as opposed to why it's excellent in the first place. If someone was unfamiliar with the game (unlikely, considering Edge's target audience) they might get the wrong idea.

I don't have a massive issue with it. It was a well written review, just one that came across as a bit "glass half empty".

• 2 weeks later...