PS3 Play TV

JPickford (retired mod)

By the way, you're going to need a bigger hard drive if you want to hold onto much TV, fellas. The 60 gig won't cut much mustard, particularly since you're already going to have loads of game installs on it.

At least you can use a standard hard drive bought cheaply, unlike the gouging the 360 gives if you want to upgrade to the only other available size.

Why would it need reserved space? Why not pick up normal TV?

DVB-T is for normal terrestrial TV. DVB-H is for handheld devices. They have separate ones because of some technical differences needed, such as the battery consumption problem. DVB-T has constant data transfer up to fairly high bitrates. DVB-H transmits the data in bursts, with the receiver effectively being off to save power between bursts. Can apparently lead to up to 90% power savings.

• 11 months later...
At least you can use a standard hard drive bought cheaply, unlike the gouging the 360 gives if you want to upgrade to the only other available size.

What the hell has the 360 got to do with it :P Hmm i have this on preorder but tempted to cancel this as i really wanted to archive stuff to dvd i might aswell buy one of those all in ones you can get for £100 upwards with a hdd freeview and a dvd recorder built in.

Edit didnt see orginal post was off a year ago. ;)

I'll still be buying this - it'll come in dead handy for uni as I don't have Freeview built in my telly, nor any means of recording TV.

Same here, especially because of the crappy UI's and reception a majority of PVR's (either the in-built ones or externally connected ones) tend to have. Also is it necessarily true that most people will get an altogether noticeably better reception of live TV from their PC than from their console or for a matter of fact from using consoles as media centres in general as some people seem to assume on other parts of the thread. Sure you may be paying for 70 odd quid for the privilege of having a glorified PVR but I personally think it's worth the asking price for some when you consider two things:

Firstly the quality of the interface as mentioned that can only get better with further secure internet based updates that other devices may miss out on or become incompatible with because of if done in the awkward uncommunicative over-the-air style some users have been subject to recently, as this article proves can leave users of even cheap pvr's vulnerable to: Source

Secondly people who fall into the catagory like me and tnman who may have a freeview in one room of the house, say through subscription via Virgin (has one of the most horribly slow/presented UI out of the devices I was referring to) for instance but don't want to go through the fuss (and expense!) of installing another box in another part of the house where there is a tv without it in another (say the one that was bought purely for the purpose of playing games on originally).

This arrangement, though strange sounding and whilst I'll admit are not likely to make up the majority of the Freeview/Subscription owning public are exactly the sort of people who seem to underestimated in terms of sheer number and will not always have the setup available on their PC that will offer as stable an offering as a dedicated media device, of the streamlined-ness that a company like Sony undoubtedly has the experience in facilitating. Besides the more ways people are attracted to the service the better, right?

Lastly I very much doubt that everyone who has invested in a PS3 isn't going to want to make the most of that investment soley by using it to play games if it can do all these other functions sometimes to a more than competent level of user openness than the PC. I'm not doubting the PC it's reign over the title of being the most free and open natured device especially when compared to other closed consoles - heck you can't even transfer files properly from what I've read- only stream, but you get what I mean in respect to something like when I'm talking about PTV though specifically.

Phew- after all that - so yeah if you haven't already guessed from the length of the post I do intend to fork out for something like this somewhere down the road ^_^

Just got an e-mail from Play.com telling me I can pre-order this. I've looked at the description:

- Record and view your favourite programmes at the same time - Play TV enables you to record both Standard Definition as well as High Definition

- Personal Video Recorder functionality - watch live TV, pause, fast forward and rewind

- Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) to show what's on, now and next - up to 7 days in advance in certain countries

- Mobile TV functionality - export content easily from PS3 HDD to PSP - watch TV on the go! Thanks to live streaming, you can watch your favourite show whilst abroad

- Channel surf with either your BD remote or your Sixaxis

It's definately been confirmed you cannot transfer from your HDD to your PSP but I thought it had also been confirmed this isn't capable and will not be capable of carrying HD signals? If this is the case then alot of people who read this and order it are being mislead :)

Re the second bolded text - it could be argued that it's referring to the streaming capabilities - certainitely the 2nd sentence seems to confirm that.

Re the first bolded text - yeah it won't be able to pick up Freeview HD - as this will be using DVB-T2, a different system entirely - so yeah they are misleading people.

Why not put warnings on about other things that never happen?

To cover themselves if it happens in future I'd expect, or if it's only noticable on two or three games but enough to get a few customers phone up Support. Certainly I can imagine writing to the PS3 HDD while reading game data off it is going to make it run certain things slower (load times in DMC4 certainly extend when background downloading, and I don't see many HDD-installed games running as perfectly with it trying to read and write to the HDD simaltaneously).

Would have brought this if I could transfer recordings to the PSP, oh well missed opportunity there from Sony.

The code for it's probably still in there of course, so if the revolution comes and copyright law goes all to hell they can always put it back in. Or, y'know, put in some proper DRM so I can watch my own videos on my own PSP.

From what?

To stop people phoning up Sony Support with "OMG my PS3 is teh broked WTF DMC4 is h4xxoring my WWW" when some games take two seconds longer to load up while using PlayTV.

Like I say, I've no idea of the extent of the issue. Maybe it only affects MGS4, a game so ballachingly arsey that plugging in a keyboard stops you getting into the XMB during its online mode, but that's a big enough portion of the consumer base to deserve a mention. Or it could be Pixeljunk games. Or ones that stream from the HDD during play at certain points (hello GTAIV slowdown and about 3 million people on the phone wondering why). Or it could make every game run at 15FPS. I don't know. I'll find out once the review's up I imagine.

So let me get this straight. If you are playing a game while Play TV is recording, you get a message that you may find that the game might play slower. So what's the problem then? It's exactly the same with PCs where if your PC is performing some CPU-intense (or HDD-intense) operation in the background, your game may slow down. This isn't a problem, it's completely logical that it could happen.

Pfffff... move along. Nothing to see here.

So let me get this straight. If you are playing a game while Play TV is recording, you get a message that you may find that the game might play slower.

Probably not even that. It'll be in the manual beneath the bit where it warms you that using 3rd party controllers may summon the Antichrist and that not taking a break every hour will cause you to molest children while you sleep.

So let me get this straight. If you are playing a game while Play TV is recording, you get a message that you may find that the game might play slower. So what's the problem then? It's exactly the same with PCs where if your PC is performing some CPU-intense (or HDD-intense) operation in the background, your game may slow down. This isn't a problem, it's completely logical that it could happen.

Pfffff... move along. Nothing to see here.

Yeah thats exactly it. This is an expensive product which provides a secondary function and (it appears) impairs the primary function of the console.

Who's talking about PC's? The choice here is between this and a separate PVR which will absolutely not affect the PS3's performance.