PS3 Play TV

JPickford (retired mod)

Does anyone know if this thing works (recording shows) while you are playing games?

That's still the big question they haven't answered. I'm going to go with "no" for PS3 titles, since so many games access the hard drive and it might impair performance (though for all I know Sony have a TRC in place that means it'll work). Now, PS1 and 2 games don't use the HDD, so that I reckon could work.

If they manage to make it both that £400 price-tag is going to seem a damn sight less threatening.

I'm not convinced that having both types of functionality is actually a great selling point. Computers aside, I think it's better for a gadget to have a clearly defined purpose. I'd rather buy a dedicated sat-nav than a Pocket PC+ adaptor+software (I've tried both). Jack-of-all-trades = Master-of-None.

I'd be wary of relying on my games console as my PVR or even DVD player. If it breaks I lose both functions.

With the recent software disappointments I think Sony are in danger of the PS3 being seen as a media centre. The PSX 2.

Personally the PS3 looks like a Blu Ray player + Tivo to me now.

I'm not convinced that having both types of functionality is actually a great selling point. Computers aside, I think it's better for a gadget to have a clearly defined purpose. I'd rather buy a dedicated sat-nav than a Pocket PC+ adaptor+software (I've tried both). Jack-of-all-trades = Master-of-None.

Granted, you could wind up with Teasmaid Syndrome.

This functionality is great, it's just a shame that in the UK it'll be limited to Freeview (which has no HD content),

Aren't they in the process of trying to get extra bandwidth so they can roll out Freeview HD?

That's still the big question they haven't answered. I'm going to go with "no" for PS3 titles, since so many games access the hard drive and it might impair performance (though for all I know Sony have a TRC in place that means it'll work). Now, PS1 and 2 games don't use the HDD, so that I reckon could work.

I'm going with yes. The reserved SPE should be able to cope with the minimal processor requirements of a PVR.

My TV has built in Freeview, but the menu and programme timer stuff are really rubbish.

This could mean that my TV would almost permanently be on the PS3 output source. But that means the PS3 would have to be on all the time!

Your electric company's billing department will love you.

I think it pretty much is going to have to be able to record while you are playing a game, otherwise it'll be massively inconvenient.

I wonder if the current standby level allows it to still function as a PVR (i.e. can it monitor a clock etc and record while in this mode), either that or they will have to implement a new standby setting because they can't expect you to leave it ON all the time.

The other issue is the while the PSP linkage is useful you have to actually have left your PS3 ON (which makes me worry a bit about what they will expect you to do to allow the PVR functions to work) and in Remote Play mode to access it. If anyone comes to the machine and switches it off, or decides they want to play a game you no longer have access to it.

All in all it sounds great (although having a V+ box I'd have no use for it whatsoever) but they will need to get it sorted properly before rolling it out (as opposed to the piece meal improvements they been making to the firmware currently).

Using this to watch live freeview remotely on a PSP strikes me as a really bad use of the internet.

The Slingbox is very popular.

This looks cool and natty, although it almost certainly won't be as good as the TiVo. The price really is the important thing - if it's above more than about 60 quid, you might as well get a standalone box

$135-$200 is a bit too expensive IMO, considering the very little amount of hardware actually required. I also wonder how far the 60gb HDD will stretch.

This functionality is great, it's just a shame that in the UK it'll be limited to Freeview (which has no HD content), and that Sky are only doing VOD for PSP and not PS3. Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Blame Sky.

70 quid for a PVR is pretty good...

combined with the PSP streaming and the capability of the new PSP to connect to a telly - I actually quite like it. It's a genuine competitor to xbox's media centre stuff now - but without the need for a PC.

Would the PS3 be able to serve your PSP live TV or recorded shows if someone else was using the machine, playing games, recording/watching TV etc?

As JP put it, it seems like a jack of all trades - master of none. It looks like you'd be much better off with dedicated devices, if it was only £10 or £15 it might be worth having to be able to stream live TV to your PSP when in a hotspot but anything more than that and it seems a bit redundant.