IGNORED

The Escapist: Zero Punctuation

Jarik

I have doubts as to whether he even played Mario and is just basing his review on what he knows about the game.

Regardless, he's very, very wrong about it.

I always wonder why so many people are always so defensive about Nintendo games, more so than with with other games....

Anyway:

1)it's not a review

2)even so he's right about Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island being miles better than NSMB Wii, and if you don't agree I have doubts whether you have played Mario ;)

I always wonder why so many people are always so defensive about Nintendo games, more so than with with other games....

What? I've played(and loved) NSMBWii and disagree with what he's said about it. That's all there is to it. I was the same with his Uncharted 2 review.

Of course I don't take his videos as serious reviews, I'm not retarded, but that doesn't mean I can't disagree with what he says.

Jeez.

What? I've played(and loved) NSMBWii and disagree with what he's said about it. That's all there is to it. I was the same with his Uncharted 2 review.

Of course I don't take his videos as serious reviews, I'm not retarded, but that doesn't mean I can't disagree with what he says.

Jeez.

I didn't like Uncharted 2 :(

Fixed. ;)

Yeah, yeah, we're not starting that again :wacko:

If NSMB Wii doesn't deserve to exist because it does nothing new compared to it's predecessors, surely the same could be said for L4D2.

Not that it's even a particularly good criticism; both games do plenty new and are excellent, which is justification enough.

As advice on what to buy they're pretty bad reviews. I mean taking, sometimes, the tiniest flaw and wildly exaggerating it for a laugh helps no one.

It helps me, thanks.

EDIT: To elaborate, I accept that his outlook and tone is one of negativity without assuming I will encounter similar negativity; much like the vast majority of other game reviews are very positive, with a few asides mentioning the negatives. I don't need to share his downbeat outlook to find his criticisms useful in making purchasing decisions. He's actually a very observant, very succinct reviewer. I'm quite capable of taking his observations in context and using them to my advantage; plus he's just generally entertaining to listen to / watch. To me, that makes him an excellent reviewer.

I remember seeing quite a few examples in this very thread where he's been factually wrong when complaining about things though. That's where I'd be wary of using them as a buying guide. I mean it's all fine twisting things to get a laugh but if people are actually using them to help with purchasing decisions then I'd be a bit pissed if I had worked on that game.

I used to like Yahtzee's review and agreed with him on many a video.

But the new one just makes him seem out of touch.

The wii mario game is very good, yes i agree some points (jumping on each other/two crappy toads) but apart from that its a kickback to the days when games were not complicated and easy to pick up and play, unlike todays games which take 10+ minutes watching intros and doing control tutorials.

Whats so wrong about something simple yet enjoyable to play?

Also, Yahtzee is obviously forgetting that not everyone has played the snes/nes games. 10 year old kids might be new to this thing and will enjoy playing nsmb and not think anything of comparing it to the old games.

I used to like Yahtzee's review and agreed with him on many a video.

But the new one just makes him seem out of touch.

The wii mario game is very good, yes i agree some points (jumping on each other/two crappy toads) but apart from that its a kickback to the days when games were not complicated and easy to pick up and play, unlike todays games which take 10+ minutes watching intros and doing control tutorials.

Whats so wrong about something simple yet enjoyable to play?

He doesn't say there's anything wrong with that. His negative comments are about it being unoriginal, not as good as previous games, and likely to cause arguments in multiplayer. Would you say those are not true?

Again, all his reviews are negative in tone.* That doesn't mean he doesn't like the game he's reviewing; just that he's focusing on the negative points.

Also, Yahtzee is obviously forgetting that not everyone has played the snes/nes games. 10 year old kids might be new to this thing and will enjoy playing nsmb and not think anything of comparing it to the old games.

1. It's not in the least bit obvious that he's forgetting anything of the sort.

2. The ignorance of others is not his concern.

3. Those old games are available to play on modern systems anyway, so it's not like kids don't have a choice.

*even the one(s?) that aren't still find something negative to compare it to.

RE: His voice last week

So it was a cold AND a different mic.

What sort of arrangement do you think this is? Do you think I have the resources to go out and hire some kind of perfect voice double at a moment's notice, while most of the people in the world who share my accent live 12,000 miles away? No. Sorry to disappoint, but my entire production crew is me, a headset, a laptop, and a desk in the corner of my bedroom. My morning work commute consists of walking about three feet, discounting detours for a shower and some raisin toast. If I ever become completely incapable of speech you'll know about it, because I will use a voice synthesizer and the video will sound like it's being guest presented by Stephen Hawking.

I love this habit some people have of wallowing in things that infuriate them. I imagine they aren't even aware of the silliness they're indulging in, like some vindictive moth convincing himself that he's determined to headbutt the fuck out of that candle flame.

Right, so we're silly for thinking he's an unfunny wrongheaded wanker? Fair enough. I suppose it is rllmuk.

He just finds it baffling that people who dislike something so much are so drawn to continue discussing it rather than leaving it behind. How do people like that actually get time for stuff they like doing? You've posted in this thread 36 times

He just finds it baffling that people who dislike something so much are so drawn to continue discussing it rather than leaving it behind. How do people like that actually get time for stuff they like doing? You've posted in this thread 36 times

I think he secretly loves him.