The Escapist: Zero Punctuation

Jarik

I would think most people who like his work know when & where to find his latest offerings (www.escapistmagazine.com Wed @ 5:00pm :( ) & the argument about whether he's funny or not or whether they are ''proper'' reviews has been run into the ground, so I guess its ok to leave the thread alone when it comes to just notices about the shows, & only post if you really want to talk (read: argue) about the review, him or the series some more.

Its refreshing for me in a way, as in these days of being able to get any film or TV show whenever you want, the weekly schedule of ZP harks back to when I used to look forward to watching a new episode of Star Trek or Gamesmaster each week.

Not the best, not the worst, bla bla.

I've just realised, though, that Yahtzee's biggest talent might be how he always points out the moments in games where suspension of disbelief goes out of the window. and you're just supposed to go along with it, because that's your mission right now. Considering the plots for games these days are almost uniformly worse than those for Heroes, I reckon that's a good thing.

I find it easy to go along with plot contrivances & even leaps of faith or logic in most games.

Which I suppose is a way of saying I have low standards when it comes to game stories. I guess that isn't really a good thing, but it does allow to me get on with enjoying the game, & when a story is good it blows me away even more.

Red Faction Guerilla is about the most fun one can legally have with a video game. I'm not sure if he's being serious at the end of his piece. I mean who actually wants to sneak about Sam Fisher style where for once in a game you can drive a monster truck into their living room and shoot them in the head?

No, me either. Building destroyed far too easily, the movement seemed sluggish and not responsive enough, the animation was weird and the scenario was boring.

Yet everyone I know who's played the full game says it's brilliant.

Red Faction Guerilla is about the most fun one can legally have with a video game. I'm not sure if he's being serious at the end of his piece. I mean who actually wants to sneak about Sam Fisher style where for once in a game you can drive a monster truck into their living room and shoot them in the head?

Then rescue the hostages inside the living room, get everyone into the vehicle, then drive back outside, knocking the only thing keeping the building upright flying.

It's pure fucking unscripted sci-fi action movie.

No, me either. Building destroyed far too easily, the movement seemed sluggish and not responsive enough, the animation was weird and the scenario was boring.

Yet everyone I know who's played the full game says it's brilliant.

I think they might have toughened up the buildings for the full game. I remember in the demo driving very slowly at buildings and they'd fall to bits like they were made of polystyrene. In the full game you have to get a run up with a decent sized vehicle before you can plough through walls.

The controls and movement are fine though.

I think they might have toughened up the buildings for the full game. I remember in the demo driving very slowly at buildings and they'd fall to bits like they were made of polystyrene. In the full game you have to get a run up with a decent sized vehicle before you can plough through walls.

The controls and movement are fine though.

I know what you mean. I didn't like the demo much, and remember thinking the buildings seemed to be made of cardboard which ruined the effect of the destruction somewhat. Full game isn't like that. Also I don't really see how the movement could be described as sluggish, Mason runs about like Usain Bolt, you can pop in and out of cover smoothly and swiftly (something lots of cover-based systems get wrong). Controls are just standard 3rd person shooter controls, really. Sniping and railing is a little clumsy in the multiplayer, I think, as it is hard to place your shot accurately while also leading your target, but that's all.

A good example of the structures being made tougher is the area with the conference centre which is under construction. There is a map based on those buildings in the multiplayer Siege mode (where you take turns to destroy buildings), where I have yet to see a team destroy them fully.