The Escapist: Zero Punctuation

Jarik

There was a point where what he was doing was fresh and funny, but now it's indicative of what the Consolevania guys were talking about - everything's about who can be the most cynical and negative, in businesses to drum up web hits and in forumites to appear the most intelligent ("I can see the things that you can't" etc). Either way, call me an ironically moaning old fart but it's all getting very dull.

Jesus fucking christ.
I stopped taking you seriously when you mentioned Kermode and best reviewers in the same paragraph.

This'd be the same Kermode who's been on or near the top of the podcast charts on iTunes for, oh, 4 years maybe because his film reviews generate discussion, are hilarious, and all too often bang on the money? That Kermode? Not a different one?

Yeah, thought so.

I'd love all the moaners to come up with a weekly review format that's as entertaining as ZP.

Indeed.

Tbh I think the real reason many gamers have a problem with ZP is one of three things:

1. He's not that fussed by the Wii

2. He's really not that fussed by Japanese stereotypes/games

3. Some people had a sense-of-humour-ectomy when young and simply don't get it

I would bet a rin-tin-tin of cash that if no.2 in particular wasn't true and he ripped on Western games but gave the Eastern ones more of a pass that he'd have few if any detractors at all. What's admirable about him is that he doesn't, that he has a view and he expresses it and he does it so well and so entertainingly. And the people who like what he doesn't HATE him for that because he represents a threat. Just like Kermode in fact. As is always the way.

It is not required of a reviewer that you agree with them, or even that other reviewers agree with them. It's required that they demonstrate intelligence and unswerving honesty to their own beliefs, and the rest of it can look after itself as long as how they deliver it is engaging.

This'd be the same Kermode who's been on or near the top of the podcast charts on iTunes for, oh, 4 years maybe because his film reviews generate discussion, are hilarious, and all too often bang on the money? That Kermode? Not a different one?

Yeah, that Kermode, he's an utterly detestable smug wanker.

I listened to his review of Star Trek before I went to see it. Aside from having the vocabulary and presentation style of a 6th form Media Studies student, he managed to completely ruin the fucking film by pointing out every plot point and asset of the story. Yes, Mark Kermode, it's called your REVIEW, not your fucking synopsis.

Utter waste of space he is.

Tbh I think the real reason many gamers have a problem with ZP is one of three things:

1. He's not that fussed by the Wii

2. He's really not that fussed by Japanese stereotypes/games

3. Some people had a sense-of-humour-ectomy when young and simply don't get it

I would bet a rin-tin-tin of cash that if no.2 in particular wasn't true and he ripped on Western games but gave the Eastern ones more of a pass that he'd have few if any detractors at all. What's admirable about him is that he doesn't, that he has a view and he expresses it and he does it so well and so entertainingly. And the people who like what he doesn't HATE him for that because he represents a threat. Just like Kermode in fact. As is always the way.

It is not required of a reviewer that you agree with them, or even that other reviewers agree with them. It's required that they demonstrate intelligence and unswerving honesty to their own beliefs, and the rest of it can look after itself as long as how they deliver it is engaging.

I think the main complaint people have with him is that the quality of ZP has fallen off a cliff as he struggles to find new things to say (or review) after 80 consecutive weeks. When he's reviewing a plot-driven game that he obviously cares about there are still flashes of wit, but more and more often the criticisms he hangs his jokes off sound contrived. E.G. moaning about a fighting game's plot, or misrepresenting things that are obviously intentional design decisions.

Basically what the Consolevania finale said rings true.

Yeah, that Kermode, he's an utterly detestable smug wanker.

I listened to his review of Star Trek before I went to see it. Aside from having the vocabulary and presentation style of a 6th form Media Studies student, he managed to completely ruin the fucking film by pointing out every plot point and asset of the story. Yes, Mark Kermode, it's called your REVIEW, not your fucking synopsis.

Utter waste of space he is.

Star Trek had a plot?

I'd love all the moaners to come up with a weekly review format that's as entertaining as ZP.

I'd love someone to come up with a less tired, clichéd argument than that.

Also...

'Some people had a sense-of-humour-ectomy when young and simply don't get it'

Or maybe some people realised ages ago that a 2nd rate Charlie Brooker knock off had ceased to be funny.

I don't care if he hates the games I like, but there's nothing more annoying than faux-cynicism, which seems to be all he's about.

Basically what the Consolevania finale said rings true.

This, times a million.

It's not Zero Punctuation itself that I hate, it's the overall attitude it displays and, therefore, encourages - that it's okay to endlessly pick at every single game you come across in order to get a few laughs from your sneery, smug internet friends. I know his reviews aren't meant to be taken seriously, but I'll fucking bet you there are thousands of people who've adopted the ZP attitude towards gaming as a whole, such is its popularity, and that strikes me as a huge shame.

it's the overall attitude it displays and, therefore, encourages - that it's okay to endlessly pick at every single game you come across in order to get a few laughs from your sneery, smug internet friends. I know his reviews aren't meant to be taken seriously, but I'll fucking bet you there are thousands of people who've adopted the ZP attitude towards gaming as a whole, such is its popularity, and that strikes me as a huge shame.

Exactly. Again.

It's not Zero Punctuation itself that I hate, it's the overall attitude it displays and, therefore, encourages - that it's okay to endlessly pick at every single game you come across in order to get a few laughs from your sneery, smug internet friends. I know his reviews aren't meant to be taken seriously, but I'll fucking bet you there are thousands of people who've adopted the ZP attitude towards gaming as a whole, such is its popularity, and that strikes me as a huge shame.

I don't get this - no-one is being forced to watch it and if people find it entertaining then I'd reckon they already have a 'cynical' or sarky view of many aspects of gaming anyway. He's not going to turn people into thinking as he does because people who don't get his way of 'reviewing' won't watch it in the first place.

The snootiness coming from some people is really quite amusing - there's an air of high-handedness about games - too many people using words like SKU (only used by cunts - period) and discussing marketshares and attachment rates - and not enough posting of the joys, or even pitfalls, of the games themselves.

The best way to offset ZP's negativity is to talk positively about games - not to moan about it...

I don't get this - no-one is being forced to watch it and if people find it entertaining then I'd reckon they already have a 'cynical' or sarky view of many aspects of gaming anyway. He's not going to turn people into thinking as he does because people who don't get his way of 'reviewing' won't watch it in the first place.

The snootiness coming from some people is really quite amusing - there's an air of high-handedness about games - too many people using words like SKU (only used by cunts - period) and discussing marketshares and attachment rates - and not enough posting of the joys, or even pitfalls, of the games themselves.

The best way to offset ZP's negativity is to talk positively about games - not to moan about it...

No, he sucks and I'm going to keep moaning about it, thanks.

And some of us are forced to watch it, or at least listen to it. Depends on your workplace environment.

No, but seriously, the funny thing is that the moaners (who criticize ZP for being too moany) are probably more negative people than Yahtzee himself is.

How does that make any sense? Something saddens me because it's moany, and I'd rather people were positive and enjoyed their hobby. So I'm being moany and negative? What? What?

Finally someone who gets it.

No, but seriously, the funny thing is that the moaners (who criticize ZP for being too moany) are probably more negative people than Yahtzee himself is. It's clear that you fuckers aren't capable of watching ZP with a certain mindset. Your loss.

o/\o

And some of us are forced to watch it, or at least listen to it. Depends on your workplace environment.

!?!?!?

That's hardly ZP's fault and I really don't believe you are forced to watch it.

You may feel you're forced to have an opinion on it - but the thing is - we don't care about that tbh :unsure:

!?!?!?

You may feel you're forced to have an opinion on it - but the thing is - we don't care about that tbh :unsure:

You know, I'd love to be in a workplace where once a week I'm forced to watch Zero Punctuation..

!?!?!?

You don't care about my opinion, huh?...

O RLY?

How does that make any sense? Something saddens me because it's moany, and I'd rather people were positive and enjoyed their hobby. So I'm being moany and negative? What? What?

I like ZP, but i'm also positive & enjoy my hobby. How does that make sense?