The Escapist: Zero Punctuation

Jarik

Within hours both Compass and Sexpanda posted. I'd love to be him- even the guys who hate him are utterly devout fans. Hateful fans but fans nonetheless. Normally er when people don't like something they tend to well avoid it- unless they love it secretly.

.::: I don't know if the entire "Yahtzee isn't a serious reviewer" charade is meant to be taken serious or not.

Really, it's like pointing at a clown in the local circus and complaining he can't provide an Academy Award winning performance. Of course not! He's not aiming for it either!

Really, it's like pointing at a clown in the local circus and complaining he can't provide an Academy Award winning performance. Of course not! He's not aiming for it either!

But Yahtzee like Maximus, has just started walking around his circus shouting 'areyounotentertained?'.

This just came in: everyone who hates Yahtzee for "not being a proper game journalist" will die virgin and alone.

Agreed. These attempts at deflation of his brilliant observations because he also does it hilariously and concisely does not fly.

Reviewing well is an art, not a laundry list.

All he does is use outlandish metaphors and analogies to make obvious or sometimes inaccurate points about games while copying Brooker's delivery.

Sometimes he's quite funny (this one about that valkyire game is pretty good), but there's nothing brilliant about it.

I don't understand why he has a huge fanbase.

I don't understand why he has a huge fanbase.

Really? Like you said, he's channeling Brooker, but with an audience of mainly mentally-pre-teen obsessives, so his flashy quick-joke take on things is pretty much guaranteed to go down well.

On a separate note, I've always enjoyed ZP (and stuck up for it against the retards who think it's a serious review) but I've had to admit to myself that I'm finding it rather tired recently. He still writes a good joke, but the format is getting pretty boring. To put it in his terms, if you eat Branston Pickle at the same time every Wednesday for a year and a half, you're going to start hating savoury condiments. Surely he has the opportunity to do something new and interesting? (Game Damage doesn't count, and never existed, and his friends have been euthanized).

That was very negatve. Let's have some memory lane, shall we?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...mash-Bros-Brawl

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...ailbag-Showdown

Good times.

He does seem more hit and miss recently.

But I loved Valkyria Chronicles and still liked this review. Everything he moaned about was right, it just didn't bother me when I was playing.

Brilliant observations? Art?

Fucking hell.

Brilliant observations?

Were you dropped on the head as a child?

Yes. The art of the review is not to drone on endlessly enumerating features and offering pretentious waffle a la many a "serious" magazine or IGN review. The art is to hit the important features and offer concise opinion, observation and do so within context. Hitting the nail on the head.

All the best reviewers, be they written, audio or video, understand and deliver this. They develop a style, a statement of perspective and so forth. That's what Mark Kermode does on his Radio 5 Live reviews of movies, for instance. Likewise it's what made Consolevania's reviews excellent. And it's what makes ZP brilliant because he does that really well.

Many gamers who don't like ZP (and didn't like Consolevania) got huffy about the lack of information or objectivity in reviews, but these people clearly do not understand what reviewing is and what makes it good. There is no such thing as objective reviewing because a review is a statement of opinion. The reviewer's task is to say if he liked something, why he liked it, why he didn't like it, what the source of his reasoning is, and to do so in a way that does not make the reader/viewer/listener fall asleep.

Reviewing is itself an entertainment form, and done well it is very sharp. That doesn't mean it HAS to be funny, but humour is one of the best ways of doing that. That's a trick that all the best stand-up comics learn.

Yes. The art of the review is not to drone on endlessly enumerating features and offering pretentious waffle a la many a "serious" magazine or IGN review. The art is to hit the important features and offer concise opinion, observation and do so within context. Hitting the nail on the head.

All the best reviewers, be they written, audio or video, understand and deliver this. They develop a style, a statement of perspective and so forth. That's what Mark Kermode does on his Radio 5 Live reviews of movies, for instance. Likewise it's what made Consolevania's reviews excellent. And it's what makes ZP brilliant because he does that really well.

Many gamers who don't like ZP (and didn't like Consolevania) got huffy about the lack of information or objectivity in reviews, but these people clearly do not understand what reviewing is and what makes it good. There is no such thing as objective reviewing because a review is a statement of opinion. The reviewer's task is to say if he liked something, why he liked it, why he didn't like it, what the source of his reasoning is, and to do so in a way that does not make the reader/viewer/listener fall asleep.

Reviewing is itself an entertainment form, and done well it is very sharp. That doesn't mean it HAS to be funny, but humour is one of the best ways of doing that. That's a trick that all the best stand-up comics learn.

I stopped taking you seriously when you mentioned Kermode and best reviewers in the same paragraph.