The Escapist: Zero Punctuation

Jarik

His moaning about the Wii control system just makes him sound like the fringe mentals here.

He is moaning about the controls in this particular game, and why not? The controls could/should be better for this kind of game, and the obvious solution would be using a normal joypad. And let's be honest here, this is not the first or only Wii game that would benefit from having normal controls instead of unsuited waggling.

Not really (at MK, obv), I think his comments are pretty accurate, as Gerbik said above.

fun for a while, gets old really fast, and the controls could be better

That is basically Mad World. I enoyed it though! Just not as classic a scrolling fighter as GodHand / Ninja Gaiden.

Even if it had come out on the 360/PS3 my opinion would be the same (bar the controls, obviosuly)

And, it is hard to tell what's going on sometimes. And you do just basically tyre/pole/spike on wall over and over.

Hmm, spot on really. And i even liked the game.

Him hating on the Wii in general could use some extra explanation though. Then again, it's probably the whole "waggle" stuff again.

Him saying the final bossfight was crap is absolute madness though. Never had that much fun beating the teeth out of an enemy.

He is moaning about the controls in this particular game, and why not? The controls could/should be better for this kind of game, and the obvious solution would be using a normal joypad. And let's be honest here, this is not the first or only Wii game that would benefit from having normal controls instead of unsuited waggling.

Says it all really.

I totally appreciate how annoying it is to have to play certain games on controllers you don't get on with. But having games support your preferences would benefit you, not the game. The only Wii game I can think of where pad controls really work better is Mario Kart, and that supports both anyway.

Says it all really.

I totally appreciate how annoying it is to have to play certain games on controllers you don't get on with. But having games support your preferences would benefit you, not the game. The only Wii game I can think of where pad controls really work better is Mario Kart, and that supports both anyway.

"old-fashoined" controls then, or "traditional controls". I agree there's also something like personal preference involved, but in this particular case having two analogue sticks would greatly enhance the movability of the main character and visibility of your surroundings. It's not a big a problem as in Dead Rising for the Wii, but like I said: they [the controls] could be better.

Also, simply pressing a button instead of waggling is more reliable and precise, which would also greatly benefit this particular game because you're constantly fighting against multiple enemies from all sides.

Again, I'm not saying the controls are complete crap, they are in fact better than in other Wii games of this type, but they could be better and using a traditional controller is the most obvious way of achieving that improvement.

Madworld

Absolutely nailed it this week.

I don't agree. I think some of his criticisms are spot on, but others are either made-up or exaggerated for the sake of effect - sure, he's guilty of that in a lot of his reviews, but then they're usually more amusing than this fairly tired effort. The later levels in particular have loads - LOADS - of different ways to kill enemies, and the goons are much more of a challenge than the useless hunks of meat in the opening stages (though that's how the start should be, perhaps Platinum takes that a little too far).

And the motion controls are incredibly forgiving - input windows are really generous and you don't have to be absolutely precise, so that criticism is a little off. It's the physicality of the controls which makes the slicing and dicing so enjoyable. If he wants to have a whinge about the controls, then talk about the lack of a block, the fact that you can only dodge backwards, or the lock-on. The motion controls in MadWorld are absolutely fine.

He just seems to have a bee in his bonnet about the Wii, and he's going to use the controllers as a stick to beat every Wii game with from now on, seemingly. It's just a bit cheap, really. Hell, I expected a lengthy tirade about the camera, but he didn't say a word.

It's not as precise nor as deep as God Hand, that's for sure. But it's fucking good fun, and for me that's more important than whether it's 'hardcore' enough or not.

I don't agree. I think some of his criticisms are spot on, but others are either made-up or exaggerated for the sake of effect - sure, he's guilty of that in a lot of his reviews, but then they're usually more amusing than this fairly tired effort.

Oh, the video itself isn't one of his best that's for sure, and the derogatory tone he takes when lumping Devil May Cry/God Hand underneath some sort of tired banner raised an eyebrow. But whether or not it raised a smile, the criticisms of the game itself I couldn't agree more with. Mainly because...

It's not as precise nor as deep as God Hand, that's for sure. But it's fucking good fun, and for me that's more important than whether it's 'hardcore' enough or not.

This is what I'm struggling to understand about Madworld. On the one hand, it's being touted as the game of choice for those who see fit to criticise the lack of (...) 'hardcore' games on the Wii, whatever the fuck that means. Indeed, you yourself have been championing it elsewhere, encouraging people to buy it as a method of promoting further development of such titles for the platform. But a flagbearing third-person brawler that contains a complete lack of 'precision and depth', two elements that are integral to building any sort of satisfying combat system, just isn't in any way a suitable candidate - if anything, it's a disservice to the sort of titles that many people feel are absent on the Wii.

Maybe I just don't get it. No, I definitely don't get it. A fighting game with an awful camera, repetitive combat and an over-reliance on shouting "I'M REALLY GORY YOU KNOW!" as loudly as possible. It's like Nightmare Creatures on PSOne all over again.

But a flagbearing third-person brawler that contains a complete lack of 'precision and depth', two elements that are integral to building any sort of satisfying combat system

Well, MadWorld's combat IS satisfying - like Yahtzee says, it's the spectacle, but it's also the physicality of your actions.

just isn't in any way a suitable candidate - if anything, it's a disservice to the sort of titles that many people feel are absent on the Wii.

Those who champion MadWorld as an example of superior core-focused content on Wii aren't necessarily saying that other Wii games should be just like that. It's simply that it encourages creativity, proving that out-of-the-box (gnnngh) thinking CAN work on the console. After all, if a monochromatic brawler which has you literally tearing goons a new arsehole can find an audience on Wii, then surely other games with a less casual mindset can be successful? As it is, it's not really been much of a success, so that particular point is moot.

Maybe I just don't get it. No, I definitely don't get it. A fighting game with an awful camera, repetitive combat and an over-reliance on shouting "I'M REALLY GORY YOU KNOW!" as loudly as possible.

I agree with the camera. And the lock-on. Man, the lock-on is bad. But it's only numbingly repetitive if you play it that way - and the later stages offer a substantially greater challenge, and more ways to kill. And it doesn't outstay its welcome.

The gore? Played purely for laughs. It's puerility almost as an art form. I can understand why some people wouldn't get on with it, but to me it's one of the most exciting games on the console. For violence as emotional catharsis, it's hard to beat. Bad day at the office? A round of Man Darts should put a smile back on your face.

It's great, and I love it. Do I want Wii to have loads of beat-em-ups that are occasionally wonky and imprecise? God, no. Do I want Wii to have more games with inventiveness to spare, glorious graphics, and what appears to be a metric fuckton of effort and love poured into it? Yes.

Once again, he makes an utter bollocks. Madworld is a bugger to control if you're a cretin, which I increasingly seem to think Croshaw is. A lot of the fun comes from beating your previous scores and getting to the Ultra-Violence level, rather than just whacking through it in 6 hours. Also, the brilliant production and swearing. I like the black motherfuckin' baron.

And he was dead wrong about God Hand. All the enemies were a sod in that.

Stupid bastard.

God-fucking-dammit people, another big-ass argument about what's valid criticism. Is it really so hard to grasp that the guy has a very personal, very niche take on what makes a good game, and not treat it like some massive fucking indictment whenever he disagrees with you? I'm almost a polar opposite to Yahtzee opinion-wise but I tune in for five minutes a week and he makes me laugh. "Fans are clingy complaining dipshits..."

God-fucking-dammit people, another big-ass argument about what's valid criticism. Is it really so hard to grasp that the guy has a very personal, very niche take on what makes a good game, and not treat it like some massive fucking indictment whenever he disagrees with you? I'm almost a polar opposite to Yahtzee opinion-wise but I tune in for five minutes a week and he makes me laugh. "Fans are clingy complaining dipshits..."

This.

Didn't someone post earlier about everyone thinking Zero Punctuation is funny until he criticises a game you like? People getting their panties in a knot here about him having a go at Madworld need calm the fuck down, and just not watch in future if it pisses you off so much.

Personally I find Yahtzee funny, and I often disagree with him, but I'm not worried if someone says the game I like is shit.

This.

Didn't someone post earlier about everyone thinking Zero Punctuation is funny until he criticises a game you like? People getting their panties in a knot here about him having a go at Madworld need calm the fuck down, and just not watch in future if it pisses you off so much.

Personally I find Yahtzee funny, and I often disagree with him, but I'm not worried if someone says the game I like is shit.

Does this make his reviews beyond criticism then? :angry: I'm not remotely worried that he thinks it's shit (let's face it, he thinks almost everything's shit, really) I just don't agree with the suggestion that he's absolutely bang on with this one. My main issue with this week's is that after some very funny ones it's not as amusing. Which has little to do with how much I like the game (indeed, some of his best work has been laying into games I love).

I'm with Canton and panda on this. I enjoy watching him tear games a new arsehole as much as the next guy, and a fair few of them games in question have been games I've loved. But there is no humour that I can see in this review, and his criticism is weak at best. Just falling on the old Wii, LOL mentality is hardly helping him.

Yes, the camera can be a dog and the targeting is fucked. And yes, there isn't variety if you're unwillingly to try for the highscores. But half of that was just moaning about the system it's on. I missed the funny.

The last few reviews lead me to believe he's just utter shit at playing games.

It must be kind of depressing playing a game and really trying to pick up on it's faults that you can try to make a funny video out of it. I haven't played Mad World though so I thought it was sort of funny, but just mainly made me feel a bit sorry for him.

It must be kind of depressing playing a game and really trying to pick up on it's faults that you can try to make a funny video out of it. I haven't played Mad World though so I thought it was sort of funny, but just mainly made me feel a bit sorry for him.

The flaws in Madworld are really obvious though, there's no need to make any kind of effort to notice them. If anything, you need to make an effort to ignore them to really enjoy the game enough to replay the levels over and over again for a higher score.

I was thinking more of the China Town Wars review where he spends the entire review complaining about things that are pretty fair complaints but incredibly easy to ignore and it'd be surprising if they were enough to make anyone who enjoys GTA dislike it.

I was thinking more of the China Town Wars review where he spends the entire review complaining about things that are pretty fair complaints but incredibly easy to ignore and it'd be surprising if they were enough to make anyone who enjoys GTA dislike it.

Funnily enough, I also agreed with his Chinatown Wars review, but keep in mind that I don't really like GTA games to begin with. I much prefer Saints Row 2 for its all-out retarded fun. Which, funnily enough, is also why Yahtzee liked Saints Row 2 so much iirc.

I have no opinion of the game (not having played it) but that wasn't his funniest work ever regardless - I think he's taking the "I hate the Wii" thing a bit too far too...

Whether a game is any good or not isn't solely a function of the console it lands on - and dismissing the black-and-white look as 'purely down to the WII's lack of graphics capability' would upset the developer a bit I suspect...

You don't buy games based on his opinions - neither should you avoid them - we come for laughs alone - and we'd like 1-2 more plz.

Erm... Did he just say Viewtiful Joe and God Hand were games filled with easy baddies who are less about challenge and more about style?

Because I found them both bloody hard.

That's because they were. Coincidentally, they're also absolutely incredible videogames.

Presumably Yahtzee played them both on Easy for 15 minutes then gave up.