rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
angel

So then the 360 Elite - Fri 24th August

I've run a network of LAN cables around my house under-floor, with my never-used Wii the only thing on wireless. Do grab a machine though, they're very impressive (to someone who's been stuck on a refurb machine for a year and a bit).

Gears, Dead Rising etc on HDMI....SO worth it. No more VGA 50hz wont-work bullshit either.

I was all set to go for it and upgrade when another poster mentioned the noise of the drive again. I think I'm going to wait a bit until they calm the machine down a bit more, I'll put up with my current 360 till then.

Noise? My BenQ drive is really quiet..and the Hitachis are only supposed to be a little louder. For the price i paid after trade-in and bundled freebies, i'd rather have one now.

Noise? My BenQ drive is really quiet..and the Hitachis are only supposed to be a little louder. For the price i paid after trade-in and bundled freebies, i'd rather have one now.

Well, that's a bit more encouraging. I'm so close to the edge, as you say with trade-in and free games it does make the machine very cheap. Oh, get thee behind me Angel. You're tempting me with your incessant whispering of loveliness.

Ok, compared to your PS3 how does the Elite rate on the noise issue?

Well, that's a bit more encouraging. I'm so close to the edge, as you say with trade-in and free games it does make the machine very cheap. Oh, get thee behind me Angel. You're tempting me with your incessant whispering of loveliness.

Ok, compared to your PS3 how does the Elite rate on the noise issue?

Slightly louder, slightly.

And picture quality through hdmi?

Better for me because most PS3 games are 720p and my set's 1080p. Having everything i put in my 360 run at 1080p is way beyond my PS3 which only runs RR7 and the dash in 1080p.

I've run a network of LAN cables around my house under-floor, with my never-used Wii the only thing on wireless. Do grab a machine though, they're very impressive (to someone who's been stuck on a refurb machine for a year and a bit).

Gears, Dead Rising etc on HDMI....SO worth it. No more VGA 50hz wont-work bullshit either.

component 50Hz was always fine though and looked plenty good enough to me.

Still tempted by this though... hmm, leccy bill or 360Elite...

:) you absolutely sure? :( Anyway...

Er, yes... once you've got it hooked up to Live which you should do now. XBLA is the best thing on it by miles. And of those, Space Giraffe is right near the top (if not at the top)

I'm very interested in the Elite, as it seems better value than buying a separate 120gb hard drive. I don't have 1080p though, only a 1366x768 set. Will I still notice an improvement? Can you even select that resolution directly? It would be nice to be able to swap to Xbox games like Halo and Doom 3 without swapping cables around, but if I don't get the best possible resolution for actual 360 games (until I get a 1080p TV), well, I'd like to know at least.

Most 360 games are 720p anyway. So the "best possible resolution" thing isn't that relevant.

Does it have a force 24fps option for HD DVD playback like the PS3 now has for Blu-ray?

I might get one once the 65nm versions start surfacing in white and someone is interested in taking over my launch machine (I don't know af any places to trade in, in the Netherlands).

Will there be a white version of the 120GB harddrive?

Most 360 games are 720p anyway. So the "best possible resolution" thing isn't that relevant.

But the thing is the 360 has an internal hardware scaler that will scale everything to 1080p whereas the PS3 will not scale everything to 1080p but will only output the resolution the game was written in. Leaving the scaling to the screen (and you have to switch resolutions every time in the menu system).

I picked a 360 Elite up this afternoon in HMV Gatwick Airport for 255 incl 2 games - pretty good price I thought. Apparently I was the first customer to buy one.

What games? And was this in the general shopping area, or beyond the gate?

But the thing is the 360 has an internal hardware scaler that will scale everything to 1080p whereas the PS3 will not scale everything to 1080p but will only output the resolution the game was written in. Leaving the scaling to the screen (and you have to switch resolutions every time in the menu system).

Well the PS3 is kind of irrelevant. The point is; not having 1080p doesn't mean you're missing out on lots of detail the 360 is outputting since it's just scaled anyhow. In the vast majority of games.

Guest alisdair

My original 360 looks just as good at 720p over component on my 1366x768 screen, as the elite does at 1080p over HDMI on my 1080p one. I think HDMI and 1080p are only an issue if you have a native 1080p display.

Cheers mate, do you know what the trade-in on a Premium is? And do you do the "keep the hard drive for a bit so you can transfer yer stuffs" thing?

It's £160 at the moment for a premium and also we are supposedly doing the keep the hard drive thing

It's £160 at the moment for a premium and also we are supposedly doing the keep the hard drive thing

Just got back from Gamestation after trading in my premium. You can keep your hard drive. They reduced the trade in value by £32. When you bring back the hard drive they will credit you the £32 back.

The staff were really helpful. I only want to transfer my game saves but don't have a memory card. They were going to give me a used memory card to take home and transfer the saves. Unfortunately, they had no used ones in stock. I have a Samsung LCD and to be honest there is not much difference bewtween HDMI and VGA on the dashboard, not played any games yet. It has the same fan noise as my previous 360, not bad because my old console was fairly quiet. The fans are marked 'DC Brushless' ( the same as my old premium.) DVD drive is a BENQ.

Blockbuster let you pay for your Elite, then bring your Premium in and you can get £160 cash for it when you do (within three weeks). Which is decent as you could trade in stuff for the rest of the price and essentially get £160 cash for the console which is good! I think I'll be doing that later and returning a few games I got yesterday as it works out I won't have to pay anything, hehe.

What deals are currently doing the rounds? As I can get them to price-match a price in town. HMV did have a good one but I can't remember it.

Yeah I've got an Elite reserved at Blockbuster, I'll be picking it up later - I like that arrangement. Worth it for the quieter drive & lower likelihood of red ring syndrome, by my reckoning and they're throwing in a free game now as well so that's £40 worth of Bioshock thrown in.

The improved PQ via HDMI is the only thing I'm considering buying the Elite for. It's such a shame that wireless is not buit in though, that's a real oversight on MS's part.

I'm sure it's been coveed a million times already but there is 1080p output for HD-DVD too, yes? I'm currently using a VGA specifically to get 1080p into my TV but the PQ for games is wose than component and lack of adjusability of the picture through VGA at the TV end is annoying.

I'll be flying in to Heathrow in a couple of weeks so will have a look in Dixons on my way out. If I can pick up one for 255 quid I'll definitely go for it.

I only run at 720p through a projector, but at that res the HDMI connection alone was well worth it to me (I only bought one because my old 360 premium died a week or two ago but I'm now glad it did). I notice a pretty major improvement through HDMI; colour, sharpness, richness and detail (with the only slight drawback that jaggies are more noticeable for obvious reasons, but it's an easy trade off to deal with for me). Bioshock looks more stunning than it did before, Dead or Alive 4 looks just amazing now (and I thought it looked good before, but now it looks like its playing on one one of those hi def demo units, only 8 feet big....so much detail). Contrast is better with Oblivion shouting 'you now need to play me again'. Can't wait to see what Gears of War looks like (couldn't try it as Game forgot to put the actual game in my box, instead giving me the bonus disk).

Only tried one DVD so far upscaled, which was Pan's Labyrinth and that looked sweet to...but will need to spend more time to see how it compares to my PS3. But the overall jump in picture quality was better than I expected by a long shot, at the level where it really makes you want to play through games again. Obviously projecting at 8 feet does give an opportunity to notice the differences, but it's not that it ever looked bad through component, it just now looks better. ;)

They are? I called up about their deals and it's only Blue Dragon and 10% off another game, or the Elite with Halo 3 which you pick up on release day.

New deal come down from Head Office today they told me. The Halo3 one is fine though.

You shower of bastards, you couldn't just shut up about the Elite could you? Now depending on the amount of alcohol consumed tonight, it looks like I'm going to pick an Elite up tomorrow. I would do it today but am working at the moment.

So what do I need to take with me from my current premium, including cables, controller etc to get the best deal? Bbearing in mind I'll have to keep the HDD for the time being in order to transfer data. Oh and who'll give me the best deal, Gamestation or Game?

So what deal are you going with? As I just called them (literally off the phone ten seconds ago) and he said there's two deals, one with Blue Dragon and Halo 3 for £320 and one with Halo 3 and 10% off a game for £299 and won't price-match the HMV deal. ;)

You shower of bastards, you couldn't just shut up about the Elite could you? Now depending on the amount of alcohol consumed tonight, it looks like I'm going to pick an Elite up tomorrow. I would do it today but am working at the moment.

So what do I need to take with me from my current premium, including cables, controller etc to get the best deal? Bbearing in mind I'll have to keep the HDD for the time being in order to transfer data. Oh and who'll give me the best deal, Gamestation or Game?

Gamestation should price-match the trade-in price as well as the bundle deals. HMV have it with Blue Dragon & MotoGP 07 for £299, they may even return those games for other ones too.

So what deal are you going with? As I just called them (literally off the phone ten seconds ago) and he said there's two deals, one with Blue Dragon and Halo 3 for £320 and one with Halo 3 and 10% off a game for £299 and won't price-match the HMV deal. ;)

That's not what I was told so we'll see - she said any game. If I have to get Halo3 instead, it's not the end of the world although I would be able to get that quite a bit cheaper than RRP from a mate at MS.

Choddo what are you doing..PC world. 2 games. 299.

Do they do the "hold onto your 360 for a couple of weeks" thing?