2000AD & The Meg

Stilly

Really enjoying the current run of stories, have spent the evening catching up on the last couple of Progs. The Judge Dredd story, in particular, is excellent :D

Also, a set of British Comic stamps are being released on March 20th if anyone's interested :)

Gonna have a major sort out at home in the near future which means I'll be looking to get rid of a ton of 2000ADs and Megazines from the last 8-10 years or so. They're not worth anything and I was thinking of slinging them in the recycling but thought I've offer them up here just in case someone wants to give them a new home. Due to the volume & weight, they'd have to be picked up from Merseyside...

I've been reading a lot of stuff on my tablet recently, and really fancy getting stuck into some Dredd / 2000AD.

Can anyone recommend some seminal stories, story collections, or just a really good place to start? Bare in mind I have absolutely NO knowledge of the canon or back story, but I really enjoy the futuristic setting of Mega City 1 and what the society is like. Not to mention I think Dredd is an amazing character, up there with the classic Marvel/DC crew.

I've been reading a lot of stuff on my tablet recently, and really fancy getting stuck into some Dredd / 2000AD.

Can anyone recommend some seminal stories, story collections, or just a really good place to start? Bare in mind I have absolutely NO knowledge of the canon or back story, but I really enjoy the futuristic setting of Mega City 1 and what the society is like. Not to mention I think Dredd is an amazing character, up there with the classic Marvel/DC crew.

There are compilations of the short strips from the Daily Star that are great and give an excellent flavour of Mega-City.

From 2000AD, Robot Wars, Return of Rico, Cursed Earth, Judge Death, Judge Death Lives, the Judge Child, Block Wars, Apocalypse War, City of the Damned. All great. Lots more where that came from too.

Shorter stories?? Tons, Citizen Snork, Uncle Umps Umpty Candy and Dave the Orangutang spring to mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I'm clearing out my old collection and like to sell this as a lot. So before putting on Ebay whats a fair price for all these lot?

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently helping my parents clear out their house and came across all my old 2000AD stuff. I've kept the odd thing but I'd like the rest of it to go to a decent home. I have the following:

Judge Dredd: The Megazine (1992 - Monthly)

Issues 11 - 20

(Missing 14, 15, 16)

Judge Dredd: The Megazine (From Sep 92 - Fortnightly)

Issues 1-46

(MIssing 7, 8, 9, 11)

2000AD Progs

390-393, 398, 415-420, 423, 425

744 - 842

(Various Missing though)

2000AD Monthly

Issues 70-88

(Missing 71, 74, 75, 76, 84)

Complete Judge Dredd (1992)

Issues 1-19

(missing 2, 6, 17)

Also 6 or 7 various Yearbooks and Specials.

I also have some of the Marvel Overkill series which seemed to be something of a 2000AD competitor for a time.

Issues 1-50

(Missing 34, 35, 36, 48, 49)

So if anyone it interested drop me a pm.

• 3 weeks later...

That Brett Ewins story has taken a turn for the even more depressing:

http://ohdannyboy.bl...-your-help.html

I used to share a photocopier with Steve Pound when I worked at a community centre in Ealing. He's a good guy and it looks like he's doing his best to help.

30th.March 2012.

I visited Brett in Wormwood Scrubs this morning and although it took some time for me to get used to his new heavily bearded appearance I was greatly relieved to find him in far better spirits than when we last spoke.

He is receiving nearly all his medication and lacking only one particular tranquiliser but I’ll do what I can to sort this out.

Brett now has his own cell and is producing a huge quantity of writing including work on his novel and many songs and poems.

He has asked me to remind people that the Johnny Nemo collection will be published next year!

We had a typically amazing Brett Ewins conversation for an hour and ranged over Buddhism in Thailand, adventures in Iceland, the art of Edward Lear, the “Black Freighter” pirate comics of the late 1950s/early 1960s, Henry Thoreau, standards of food available in Hanwell pubs and I almost missed the bombshell that Brett is engaged to marry a world famous singer/performer later this year.

More details of Brett’s betrothed to follow!

Brett is pinning his hopes on a bail hearing due within a fortnight and he is very hopeful that he will be allowed home then.

His lyrical description of his longing to walk a country lane and look at the sky proved to me that Brett is not only one of the finest British artists of all time but a Writer of striking beauty and originality.

He is working on a spy novel and I can’t wait to read it!

People who know Brett well will be interested to hear that he now has a full luxuriant white beard but is very thin and still has to use his walking cane.

He is currently reading all of Louis Theroux and his mind is as sharp as ever on detail.

At one stage we were talking about Spike Milligan and I mentioned that he used to live in Orme Court off the Bayswater Road. Brett gave the exact address and told me that he used to write to Spike when he was a student at Drayton Manor !

Brett is smoking “to pass the time” and I was told that I could bring in a Postal Order for him to buy some tobacco but that it had to be made out to the Governor.

When I arrived I was told that I had to post in the order – even though I was actually in the prison at the time!

If anyone is planning to send anything I strongly suggest that you look at the Wormwood Scrubs website for details of what may and may not be sent.

I am very grateful to “mighty emperor” for posting this information and sparing me having to write to the scores of Brett’s admirers who have contacted me.

I’ve known Brett as a neighbour and a constituent for 25 years and I will continue to do all that I can to help at this time.

The prisons minister, Crispin Blunt, is very much aware of the situation and the governor at the Scrubs has received many a message urging better treatment for Brett.

The very considerable improvement in the medical treatment may well reflect these sources of pressure!

I’ll try to update you on the bail hearing as soon as possible.

Steve Pound MP,

Ealing North.

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,35133.msg664809.html#msg664809

Have you all seen this?

http://drokk.bandcamp.com/

About DROKK

Geoff Barrow is a founding member of Portishead and producer/label owner of Invada Records UK. Ben Salisbury is a soundtrack composer with over 200 film and TV credits to his name, including David Attenborough’s ‘Life of Mammals’, ‘Life in the Undergrowth’ and ‘Life in Cold Blood’. Barrow and Salisbury met over 10 years ago when they both joined a Bristol football team for old men. After many disastrous games they decided they might be more productive working on a music project together. Other work commitments kept them apart until late 2010, when the pair met up with a screenwriter to discuss some possible work on a feature film project. Although their involvement with this particular film did not continue, a collaborative writing relationship had begun…

When Barrow and Salisbury revisited and started expanding upon this early material they decided to continue writing what was essentially soundtrack music. Barrow, along with album designer and long term friend, Marc Bessant, were both avid 2000AD readers from a young age, and the sprawling metropolis and classic stories of Mega-City One seemed the ideal inspiration for this ‘soundtrack’.

DROKK was written in a 6 month period between Barrow’s Portishead world tour and Salisbury’s composing jobs for the BBC. Although it is a soundtrack of sorts, Barrow and Salisbury instinctively felt that music for MC1 should steer clear of the rich orchestration common to many contemporary film scores. Even for electronica the music is often purposefully stark and spare, with the majority of tracks created exclusively on the Oberhiem 2 Voice Synthesizer (a 1975 classic keyboard), and its onboard sequencer used to create rhythm and drums sounds. The only exceptions are a handful of tracks which combine the synth with digitally manipulated and time - stretched performances of acoustic instruments (such as piano, violin, mandolin, ukulele, voice and hammered dulcimer). There is also a brief cameo from Barrow’s other band BEAK>.

DROKK will be released on 30th April in UK & Europe & 7th May in the U.S on Invada Records.

This is a chance to get the exclusive pre-release and rarest version possible.

As these items are expensive due to high quality materials - we will only ship these by recorded delivery methods. We hope you understand

"2000 AD is delighted that Judge Dredd continues to inspire artists in the year of the character’s 35th anniversary, especially such high profile talents as Geoff and Ben. You can tell, from their vision of the Big Meg, that they’re massive fans of the strip." 2000 AD

It's amazing. It sounds exactly like it should.

Does the prog come out tues or Weds? If anyone's already got it is the teasing/hype justified by what's on the page? For the first time in a LONG time I want to pop into town to pick up a copy so, if nothing else, the return of the dark judges has been marketed well....

Do I need to know any backstory of what's happened to them since I last read 2000ad? Since that was around the time of Necopolis I suspect the answer might be yes...

Does the prog come out tues or Weds? If anyone's already got it is the teasing/hype justified by what's on the page? For the first time in a LONG time I want to pop into town to pick up a copy so, if nothing else, the return of the dark judges has been marketed well....

Do I need to know any backstory of what's happened to them since I last read 2000ad? Since that was around the time of Necopolis I suspect the answer might be yes...

It comes out on Wednesday. I got my subscription copy on Monday and the real surprise was a couple of issues ago when the DJs (minus Death) re-appeared. The whole Day of Chaos story has been running for about 12 months now, but given that the shit is really about to hit the fan it is worth jumping in now.

Like you, I stopped reading 2000ad about a year after Necropolis and started again in around 2001, missing the really desperate period for the comic. The DJ reveal was the best thrill I have had from the comic since turning the page to discover who won Supersurf 10, 24 years ago.

Nuts. So the whole They are coming has been trailed for weeks in the comic? Am I jumping into a story already half told (like Block Mania and Apocalypse War) or is this weeks a good part 1 to jump in on? Grr. wish I'd realised the teaser images might be to do with the current issues rather than the dates on the posters :(

Nuts. So the whole They are coming has been trailed for weeks in the comic? Am I jumping into a story already half told (like Block Mania and Apocalypse War) or is this weeks a good part 1 to jump in on? Grr. wish I'd realised the teaser images might be to do with the current issues rather than the dates on the posters :(

The comic had no mention of the web trailer, I avoid any chance of spoilers in stories so it was a complete surprise that they appeared. You can catch up on the plot so far, the real disaster has not unfolded, though it is imminent.

dredd-movie-image-2.jpg

massive helmet, makes dredd look like a wee boy playing dressup

Reading 'Cursed Earth Saga' at the moment, reminds me of Dredd's helmet/features in that. Bigger, rounder helmet (:eyebrows:) and small chin!

I drew this for no other reason than I'm unemployed bored and thought it sufficiently decent that I post it here:

DreddHead.jpg

I was a huge fan of 2000AD back in the day and always wanted to be a comic artist, but I was never much cop at analogue painting. But I've always enjoyed drawing ol' stoney face, mainly because he only has the one facial expression and it's hard to fuck it up. :)

• 3 weeks later...