2000AD & The Meg

Stilly

from humble bundle I've now read Brink vol 1-3, Kingdom vol1-4 and cadet Anderson (and America but I'd read that before it turned out). All are great in their own ways and reminded me of why I loved 2000AD (and still do it turns out!)

The bigget revelation to me was that 2000AD really does suit its serial story idea where you get a number of serial episodes and the odd one off in a weekly form. As graphic novels the stories and serials still work but are more "hit and miss". Brink is uniformly great but Kingdom and Cadet Anderson get a bit samey and really benefit from being read in parts alongside other stories. Kingdom especially is a bit one note and it works much better when you go read something else inbetween. Brink less so but I can still see how the intensity of that story might be better broken up.

I guess it is obvious that it works better in the weekly comic form as that is how it developed, not as a series of graphic novels. But it means that I think I strongly prefer to read them in 2000AD issue form.

anyway my new subscription is sorting itself out with issues in wrong order etc so I have a gap so can't start reading properly yet... But until then I used my 50% discount voucher to get a few back progs and I picked up some progs from oxfam for a £1 a piece that will dovetail with the ones I have ordered to give me continuity back to prog 2224 so I can catch up to current stories!

22 hours ago, Clipper said:

from humble bundle I've now read Brink vol 1-3, Kingdom vol1-4 and cadet Anderson (and America but I'd read that before it turned out). All are great in their own ways and reminded me of why I loved 2000AD (and still do it turns out!)

The bigget revelation to me was that 2000AD really does suit its serial story idea where you get a number of serial episodes and the odd one off in a weekly form. As graphic novels the stories and serials still work but are more "hit and miss". Brink is uniformly great but Kingdom and Cadet Anderson get a bit samey and really benefit from being read in parts alongside other stories. Kingdom especially is a bit one note and it works much better when you go read something else inbetween. Brink less so but I can still see how the intensity of that story might be better broken up.

I guess it is obvious that it works better in the weekly comic form as that is how it developed, not as a series of graphic novels. But it means that I think I strongly prefer to read them in 2000AD issue form.

anyway my new subscription is sorting itself out with issues in wrong order etc so I have a gap so can't start reading properly yet... But until then I used my 50% discount voucher to get a few back progs and I picked up some progs from oxfam for a £1 a piece that will dovetail with the ones I have ordered to give me continuity back to prog 2224 so I can catch up to current stories!

That's interesting. I only really read the prog, not the collections, so curious about how the stories work as books, as clearly everything in the prog is designed to also work as a 60 page paperback book as well.

I imagine that the 6 page episode thing should work well as there's always going to be something happening, kinda like how Dickens' novels were originally published in serialised, episodic form in magazines.  But interesting that you found Kingdom repetitive and samey when collected together.

Brink is probably the only thing I've read in the prog where it felt like this might be better as a collection than a weekly story.  Perhaps because the art isn't very detailed in comparison to the usual 2000ad style, so your eye doesn't linger on details as you read, therefore you can read an episode really quickly.  6 pages weren't quite satisfying enough chunks.

If the story is good enough, then I'll get the collection because I want to be up to speed when the next chapter turns up. It easier to reach for a book than hunt around in the loft got the 8 issues it was in 2 years ago.

32 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

If the story is good enough, then I'll get the collection because I want to be up to speed when the next chapter turns up. It easier to reach for a book than hunt around in the loft got the 8 issues it was in 2 years ago.

You're the perfect customer - buy everything twice!

Blimey. Just finished reading the first two collected volumes of Dredd: Days of Chaos.

Thought it was fantastic. It never fails to amaze me just how good Wagner is at telling a tale, and also how versatile he is. And what a world it is that he created all those years back. Just when you start to think you've seen too many tales of Dredd being...well...Dredd, you'll turn the page to the next tale and it'll impress you once again.

13 hours ago, JoeK said:

Blimey. Just finished reading the first two collected volumes of Dredd: Days of Chaos.

Thought it was fantastic. It never fails to amaze me just how good Wagner is at telling a tale, and also how versatile he is. And what a world it is that he created all those years back. Just when you start to think you've seen too many tales of Dredd being...well...Dredd, you'll turn the page to the next tale and it'll impress you once again.

I was mixed on Days of Chaos. It's a good plot that had repercussions on the title for quite a while but I found it tried to juggle too many minor plot lines and lost a bit of focus for it. It never felt like it hit as hard as something like the Apocalpyse war. Especially the eventual resolution to the plague.

For someone new to Dredd, is the Essential Judge Dredd series a good place to start?

Seen them on Amazon, and was thinking of picking up Origins, America and The Apocalypse War.

I've read the case files is worth starting from 4/5 onwards, but figured these would be an easier place to start.

2 hours ago, Rocafella said:

For someone new to Dredd, is the Essential Judge Dredd series a good place to start?

Seen them on Amazon, and was thinking of picking up Origins, America and The Apocalypse War.

I've read the case files is worth starting from 4/5 onwards, but figured these would be an easier place to start.

I’d certainly pick up the first four Case files if you can, because there’s still some genuine great stuff in them too, despite everything being a little wooly on the world at that stage!

America is fantastic but a bit heavy as an intro to Dredd. CaseFiles 1-10 are great and inc cursed earth and apocalypse war etc. Enough one off stuff as well to give you a grounding.

Working from case file 1 also lets you see the genesis of the idea and how it develops.

I love the Case Files as you get all the "good Dredd stuff" (the epics, etc) right alongside the sillier side of the premise: "Dredd arrests Del Boy and puts him in the Iso-cubes for 12 years" and things like that. I think America works better once you've read a few years of the strip rather than using it as an introduction.

Also, there's some great old John Smith insanity up on the 2000AD shop as digital-only offerings:

Slaughter Bowl!

Firekind

Revere

Slaughter Bowl always puzzled me. Stanley says he's not a mass murderer and he's been framed. The strip then completely fails to address this. Did he kill all those people? The story feels unfinished without a resolution to that plot point. I can understand the end with his Wife. That's perfect 2000ad but the initial setup doesn't pay off.

11 hours ago, Clipper said:

America is fantastic but a bit heavy as an intro to Dredd. CaseFiles 1-10 are great and inc cursed earth and apocalypse war etc. Enough one off stuff as well to give you a grounding.

Working from case file 1 also lets you see the genesis of the idea and how it develops.

Also, in one of the earlier Case Files collections you get to see the start of the rise and fall of Otto Sump - one of the great comic creations.

Also, the first Dredd story I ever read way back in the day!

5 hours ago, Flub said:

Slaughter Bowl always puzzled me. Stanley says he's not a mass murderer and he's been framed. The strip then completely fails to address this. Did he kill all those people? The story feels unfinished without a resolution to that plot point. I can understand the end with his Wife. That's perfect 2000ad but the initial setup doesn't pay off.

Spoiler

The last few pages of the story do say that he killed them - he repressed the memories every time, but all the blood brings it back

So my sub sorted itself out and I got my back issues from Oxfam and 2000adonline so I started with a "run up" from prog 2224. I'm now on 2236 of my 2000AD revival here are some jumbled up thoughts

- It is a blooming meaty read in general, I've read 12 issues over last couple of weeks and it takes time to read and appreciate them just like it did back in the day

- I still struggle with some of the stories/layouts that seem less words and "art based or visual based" like MEchastopheles and Visions of DeadWorld - I find them harder going

- Overall they are pretty damned good but they feel similar to what I read 30 years ago. The documentary on 2000ad (Arrow films "channel" on amazon) is pretty on the nose with regard to the fact they are selling to the same customers who are now just 30 years older. I am not sure how many teens read it. Also I have read one "Regenned" issue and it was fun but again appealed more to me and can't see how it would appeal to the "youth of today" might try my ten year old with the regenned and see what he thinks.

So the stories/art so far

Judge Dredd - All positive barring one story "easy money" which I felt was tonally odd. "Penitent Man" was superb (great art), the Rowdy Yates story was fun (again great art) and the "Brief Encounter" story was really good as well with some lovely "clean" art I thought. Just the one duffer which I wasn't keen on the art for either.

Thistlebone - This is a big miss for me... bounced off it and didn't really connect with it at all. I started on part 4 which won't have helped I guess. I loved the art though very expressive.

Feral & Foe II - I love this, just finished the arc and it was fun actually made me laugh and had a decent story. I didn't really follow the "lore" that well but it constructed a story where I didn't need to. The humour reminded me very vaguely of Sam Slade (which I loved) in that irreverant style. The art was very good and loved the lettering work that made it really obvious who was/wasn't speaking etc.

Visions of Deadworld - loved the creepy art but struggled to follow the plots - seemed overly simple and obviously part of something much bigger. But loved the art and atmosphere.

The 3thrillers and Terror Tale and Future Shocks - none really stood out. Half Life was fun but felt like I'd read it quite a few times. "regarding Henry" was a well contained little story, classic Future shock. THe others were quite quirky  "CHorus & RIng" and "Symbiotic Love Triangle" but readable.

Two others are just starting up

Chimpsky's Law - Bit of a fun one this with a mix of planet of the apes with a detective novel built in.

Department K - it's one of those "wacky" serials that I usually bounce off but I'm giving it a go :D

As usual I'm writing all this out for my own amusement and eventually I'll catch up and be chatting about the same issues as everyone else :D

Thistlebone. You're not alone. I've read the lot and I really don't like it.

Deadworld as you suspected has been running a long time. I like it and I've read it from the start but I have literally no idea what the plot is.

On 19/08/2021 at 18:20, womblingfree said:

@Sidewaysbob Thanks, might give Megatropolis a punt then.

Excitingly, I randomly checked the store and the complete Stainless Steel Rat exclusive was back in stock. I’d even emailed them about this and was told they were all gone weeks ago. I guess some people cancelled. :omg:

19EA6808-1C96-4E16-B297-477B67AF2005.jpeg

I didn’t hear about this at the time and was gutted when it was sold out. (I was a huge Harry Harrison fan as a boy and I read the later Stainless Steel Rat 2000AD strips when they came out (SS for President I think) and the earlier ones from back Progs bought at a jumble sale.)

Managed to snag a mint copy of this off eBay for <£30. 

On 03/09/2021 at 15:47, Rocafella said:

There was a bit of chat about this in the Dredd thread in Film & TV from about this point:

I posted:

I think it's good to read a couple of case files as they include lots of shorter stories as well as the epics. It give you a much better taste of the range of Dredd stories. The epics are incredible, but the shorter stories are generally funnier and show off mega city one more. Generally accepted wisdom is Case Files 4 and 5 is where it starts to hit its stride. 5 has the apocalypse war, which is the greatest story ever told. Once you have a few of them done, i'd go for a few more later stories which are a bit more grown up - America, The Pit, Total War, Tour of Duty. I'd leave origins until you've read a fair bit. Hits much harder then. 

On 30/08/2021 at 19:40, JoeK said:

I think it's fucking brilliant, honestly. The shape of the story.

Spoiler

The way it's pretty much all build up, and you think it's going to be this enormous crescendo of action, but the actual day comes around and it just sort of evaporates. The damage is already done, the opportunities were missed and MC1 is FUCKED. Love how Wagner just wanted the "good" guys to lose once. He's such a brave writer. 

On 10/09/2021 at 19:24, Clipper said:

Feral & Foe II - I love this, just finished the arc and it was fun actually made me laugh and had a decent story. I didn't really follow the "lore" that well but it constructed a story where I didn't need to. The humour reminded me very vaguely of Sam Slade (which I loved) in that irreverant style. The art was very good and loved the lettering work that made it really obvious who was/wasn't speaking etc.

I couldn't give a monkey's about goblins and wizards, but I love Feral & Foe. The writing is so snappy. I'm not a huge fan of Whedon style banter either, but if it's good, it's good. Dan Abnett is a genius, he's done so many modern classics - Sinister Dexter, Brink, Grey Area, Lawless, The Out, Insurrection. Not to mention creating the current version of Guardians of the Galaxy for Marvel, which turned out pretty well for them...Maybe a bit of an exaggeration to say he's carrying 2000AD, but he's not far off it. 

1 hour ago, Don Rosco said:

I've just had bit of a look on reddit, and the 40k fans are positively gushing about him also. 

He wrote a 40k book called Horus Rising which is fucking incredible. I tried reading some of the other authors' books in the same series and they were like fanfiction by comparison.

On 30/08/2021 at 19:40, JoeK said:

I’ve just started Volume 1 and am loving it.

Not read any new Dredd for decades and this is making me wonder why?? 

1 minute ago, womblingfree said:

I’ve just started Volume 1 and am loving it.

Not read any new Dredd for decades and this is making me wonder why?? 

It's an odd one - for me, JD is possibly one of the most consistently enjoyable strips that's ever been made but I'll go through long periods of time effectively forgetting about it, and then suddenly feeling the need to run through them again! I still get a huge buzz from the older epics (and a lot of the smaller self-contained works). 

I think one of the reasons for my shifting in and out of the JD consciousness is that I've never been a huge fan of anthology comics - so whilst I've enjoyed 2000ad periodically, I've always preferred to have a nice block of story in one place. There's been plenty of times that I've been avidly following a tale, and then something crops up and - bam - missed out on two/three weeks-worth of vital info!