2000AD & The Meg

On 9 September 2016 at 21:03, The Hierophant said:

Been trying to upload this photo all day!

image.jpeg

Well I finished it. 

It's an enjoyable and very quick read. It's really just a collection of anecdotes more than anything and doesn't really give (or at least didn't give me) a huge insight into the dynamics or the evolution of 2000ad, at least not in the detail I would have liked. 

It it did make me want to get my old progs out of the garage and/or start the Zenith collections. 

On 16/08/2016 at 13:41, ZOK said:

I was googling old Commando covers last weekend for some reason. I never read this one, but man it looks amazing!

image.jpeg

That's amazing! A film waiting to happen. One can only hope that at some point they have lances sticking out of the drivers' windows.

My favourite cover will always be issue 1:

2179575-comm4453.jpg

In kind-of-related news, there's a Misty collection out now. Sadly it seems to collect two complete stories (by Pat Mills, though). I was hoping it would be more of a varied sampler, but I dare say I'll pick it up at some point.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Misty-Pat-Mills/dp/1781084521/

Mills reminisces about the two stories (and the creation of Misty) on his blog: https://patmills.wordpress.com/tag/moonchild/.

There's also a collection of Monster, the Scream strip kickstarted by Alan Moore, but I'm holding out for a complete volume of the whole of Scream - it's only 15 issues and a summer special. Meanwhile, there's always this.

On 11/09/2016 at 14:54, The Hierophant said:

Well I finished it. 

It's an enjoyable and very quick read. It's really just a collection of anecdotes more than anything and doesn't really give (or at least didn't give me) a huge insight into the dynamics or the evolution of 2000ad, at least not in the detail I would have liked. 

It it did make me want to get my old progs out of the garage and/or start the Zenith collections. 

Is there much new stuff here that wasn't in the Future Shock documentary? 

It's ages since I have seen that (or read the book) but yes there is. The scope is a bit broader than 2000ad and covers Steve Macmanus starting at Fleetway: Battle; Starlord the 2000ad. It also covers his post 2000ad stuff, Crisis, Revolver the Megazine a little bit. 

I think it was lacking in the sort of detail I was looking for - any political machinations, disputes over rights to the creations etc. 

Its more ore chatty and anecdotal in tone. It is certainly an easy and quick read and while I felt slightly disappointed in it I think it is worth reading if you read 2000ad during his editorship. 

I can't imagine there was much talk of creators' rights at Fleetway, though possibly in the Crisis / Revolver days... some of that stuff appeared in the Milligan / McCarthy collection that came out last year, but I don't know if that was a case of owning the rights, buying them back or whatever. I would imagine that writing / drawing for 2000AD was cut & dried work for hire, and if you made any fuss Pat Mills would duff you up in the canteen. I always think of Mills, Grant and Wagner as the CI5 of UK comics.

• 3 weeks later...

Prog 2000 is in orbit today!

If you've ever been a reader, you should get this, as it's a lovely celebration issue with something for everyone. I was most looking forward to another Mills/O'Neill Nemesis episode, which is fun and looks great of course but makes no sense whatsoever, but it turns out the best thing in the prog (it had to be, really) is the Dredd story, which is pretty much perfect for those of us who came to 2000AD from Starlord. That or the linking Tharg story pages (drawn by Bolland, McMahon, etc.) which tie it all together with a running commentary on 2000AD's history.

It even ends with the first part of a brand new and slightly rubbish series by Peter Milligan, which is exactly as it should be.

CtcEYmYXYAEuMkV.jpg

CtcEbUiXYAQryXE.jpg

CtcEdZOXEAAHtk1.jpg

CtcEgpaWYAEDv8R.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody know where I could buy a physical copy of prog 2000? I buy back issues in bulk every two months so I've always got a go-to stack to read if ever I need to kill a bit of time, but Prog 2000 apparently sold out the week of release and isn't available in the 2000ad shop. Fuck's sake! 

I've just seen that Steve Dillon has died. Absolutely gutted! I saw him at the London comic con this year but didn't get anything signed because the que was just massive. 

And now he's gone :(

I loved all the work he put into Deadline and the 2000AD strips. 

Gutted, RIP Steve.

On 22/10/2016 at 19:10, SM47 said:

Anybody know where I could buy a physical copy of prog 2000? I buy back issues in bulk every two months so I've always got a go-to stack to read if ever I need to kill a bit of time, but Prog 2000 apparently sold out the week of release and isn't available in the 2000ad shop. Fuck's sake! 

I picked up a copy last week in Forbidden Planet, so it may be worth checking your local store, if you have one.

On 22/10/2016 at 19:10, SM47 said:

Picked mine up from the Southampton store yesterday...they still had a couple left. If you need one I can get one and post it to you at cost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Had a good day today at the 40th Anniversary do in London. Lots of good talks and a rake of legends in the house signing and selling sketches and all sorts. Highlights were Pat Mills career retrospective (I could listen to him all day, he's full of stories and rants), four editors together in one talk, and of course John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra. Here's a crappy picture of that:

KEal9Jt.jpg

I bought the prog where Nemesis first appears. Only £5, it's mad to think what that would cost if it was an american comic where some major character had their first appearance. I got Pat Mills to sign it and after some gushing we both agreed that everybody pronounces Slaine wrong. I've only recently heard it people saying it out loud in the last couple of years, and they all say "slain", but it should be more like "slawnyeh". Anyway, whopper day! Very pleasant altogether.

Nice, jealous that you were able to go.

Can any Dredd history buffs tell me if the current series in the prog references a previous story? It seems like it does, but I have no memory of any part of it - which is kind of making it hard for me to get into, as I keep wondering if I've missed something. If I knew it's a story that's meant to reveal itself as we go on, I could probably enjoy it more.

Sector Zero? Have they been in it before? That bolt with blood on it that Dredd wants DNA scanned, where did that come from? Does anyone know? I have read 2000AD since the late 90s and have read the case files going back to Block Mania, but I don't remember these things at all.

edit - ah yes, Sector Zero was introduced fairly recently (prog 1962) - the organisation that was abducting kids and telling parents they had been recruited into the academy of law. I don't remember much beyond that, will have to go back and read it again.

But what about that bolt?

• 6 months later...

I got the first four issues from the test run and the reproduction is fine. The announced stories include the complete run of Nikolai Dante, most of Slaine and Strontium Dog, all of Nemesis the Warlock and quite a bit of Rogue Trooper (Hopefully up to the death of the Traitor General and no further).

The stories will also be released in the correct order, unlike the Dredd books which have daft things like Missionary Man released over 3 volumes but the last one was released first.