rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Kamatari

Omega Sektor

Dont know if anyone has posted this already but the omega sektor lan cafe has opened up in brum and its pretty good, they've had a free weekend as a little trial and they have 360's,ps3's,wii's and like 400+ computers, rooms with movies on, chill out rooms, themed rooms, rooms for hire etc all pretty cool :(

Dont know if anyone has posted this already but the omega sektor lan cafe has opened up in brum and its pretty good, they've had a free weekend as a little trial and they have 360's,ps3's,wii's and like 400+ computers, rooms with movies on, chill out rooms, themed rooms, rooms for hire etc all pretty cool :(

Noticed this had opened on Friday. Looks pretty promising. I'll have to check it out at some point. Thinking that perhaps the height of summer isn't the best place to be promoting a darkened building full of computers though...

I walked straight past it on Friday, and couldn't tell what it was from the outside. All I could see looking in was darkness and a TV screen flickering in the distance.

one of my dad's WOW obsessed mates has started working there

bet it'll be packed with kids for the next couple of weeks till they piss off back to school

The old Virgin Megastore building.

ahh Ok,

what a strange place to open! - the Oasis Market, Bham Academy etc are going to be Bulldozed in the next 2 years!!

also, thats opened above CEX then, where all the smelly types shop!

Well, i went into Omega Sektorrrrr.. and managed to blag Free membership! ( 1st 5000 people apparently )

they let me in to have a nose around, and although very impressive. - They had a Wii running on a Million Inch screen in the bar upstairs for example.

It left me wondering who the fuck is going to use the place.. and what for?

the championships and tournaments should be fun, if they can get it right.

there was just room upon room of PC's.

There is a dedicated S.T.A.L.K.E.R. room and Final Fantasy online room also.

as i say.. impressive.. but then you think WHY?

its probably a front for a major drugs operation.

As well as Bath!

I'm in.

The only place you could have a chat and a laugh is in the Bar.

the actual gaming areas are strangely quiet! ^_^

the prices are:

£3.00 for an hour

£5.00 for 3 hours

and you cant get in there without credit on your MEMBERSHIP CARD

yes thats right you lot will need to become Omega Sektor Members before you can even set foot in the place.

GO GO GO!

It's a very unglamorous place for it to be anyway, as was mentioned earlier it’s right in the middle of the stinky part of town - I guess that’s why Virgin relocated to somewhere a bit more pleasant round the corner. You certainly wouldn’t know what it is just by looking from the outside; in fact you probably wouldn’t be interested, it’s not the most attractive building in the world.

Well, i went into Omega Sektorrrrr.. and managed to blag Free membership! ( 1st 5000 people apparently )

they let me in to have a nose around, and although very impressive. - They had a Wii running on a Million Inch screen in the bar upstairs for example.

It left me wondering who the fuck is going to use the place.. and what for?

the championships and tournaments should be fun, if they can get it right.

there was just room upon room of PC's.

There is a dedicated S.T.A.L.K.E.R. room and Final Fantasy online room also.

as i say.. impressive.. but then you think WHY?

its probably a front for a major drugs operation.

In the chill out room, they turned the volume up *full* and they said they had the whole building shaking :lol:

Also they said that theres going to be a game shop opening either next door or within the building to rival CEX, and and did they tell you about the vending machines they're getting which will do like fish and chips etc :wub:

Sounds quite big. I'll have a look when I'm in the town next.

Isn't that right next to CEX? Will be staying in Brum next weekend, so will probably check this place out :-)

did they tell you about the vending machines they're getting which will do like fish and chips etc :)

Greasy keyboards. Lovely :unsure:

Went down to Omega Sektor last night for a couple of hours...

The place is absolutely massive... seems to go on forever. We played some Q3A, Q4 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on LAN and t'internet. Good atmosphere, good value and nice well built machines. I'll def. be heading down again sometime. Highly recommended.

Is anyone else mildly surprised that people seem to like it? I think I'll check it out next week.

To be fair I was expecting it to smell of geek and be as unprofessional as every other games place I've been in, but its clean comfortable and odour free. I can see it getting run down if they don't make an effort with the up-keep, and the console support is lacking at the moment, but for PC gaming its pretty sweet.

Personally I haven't had a PC that would run recent games for a good few years so it was nice to have a mess about with some newer stuff. I guess the main attraction for me would be the odd game of Quake and a punt on some new bits and bobs, without having to shell out a whole heap of cash.

Went in on Saturday. Pretty good value and some nice machines. Ending up play COD2 as that was the only game people seemed to be playing, kicked complete and utter ass.

Went in on Saturday. Pretty good value and some nice machines. Ending up play COD2 as that was the only game people seemed to be playing, kicked complete and utter ass.

There's a Rock Paper Shotgun article up on it here which is a little less enthusiastic than some of the reports here, but it has photo's! and everything. It shows off just how amazing the console area is too...

I wouldn't mind taking a look at this place actually, seems quite nice, its about time I went to Birmingham again.

From that R-P-S article it looks like there's loads of equipment to play on which is good, but the decor (bricks and toxic barrels), emptiness and location isn't so appealing. I went to The Playing Fields a couple of times before it closed and it was pretty good - quite small but friendly and not as cheesy-looking as OS. I think this sort of place might be more popular nowadays though. Maybe somewhere will open a bit more like these Tokyo Game Bars:

http://points-tv.com/?page_id=3