The Love Guru - Return of Mike Myers

He's been away since The Cat in the Hat, with all sorts of rumours floating about (return of Austin Powers, The Keith Moon Biopic (which is said to be still happening), How to Survive a Robot Uprising etc). The character of Pitka started turning up in some New York clubs as Myers began testing him out on audiences. Seems he got the reception he was looking for.

Comedy Indian accents-a-gogo

-----------------------------------------------------

According to Variety, Jessica Alba has joined Mike Myers in the Paramount Pictures comedy The Love Guru, along with Verne Troyer (aka Mini-Me from Myer's Austin Powers films) and Romany Malco, best known from his role in The 40-Year-Old Virgin. With plans for a June 20 release, the Myers co-produced and co-written comedy stars the comic in his first live-action role in many years playing a new character named Pitka, an American boy who was left as a child at the gates of an ashram in India, and after being raised by gurus, he moves back to the U.S. so seeks riches as a couples therapist.

Malco plays a hockey player whose wife is sleeping with a member of the rival team, while Alba, Myer's love interest, is the owner of the hockey team. Troyer plays the team coach. They're all brought together when Pitka is hired to reunite Malco with his wife so that he can lead the team to the championship.

The movie is being directed by Marco Schnabel for a planned June 20 release.

• 2 months later...

Myers plays Pitka, an American who was left at the gates of an ashram in India as a child and raised by gurus. He moves back to the U.S. to seek fame and fortune in the world of self-help and spirituality. His unorthodox methods are put to the test when he must settle a rift between Toronto Maple Leafs star hockey player Darren Roanoke and his estranged wife. After the split, Roanoke's wife starts dating L.A. Kings star Jacques Grande (Justin Timberlake) out of revenge, sending her husband into a major professional skid -- to the horror of the teams' owner Jane Bullard (Jessica Alba) and Coach Cherkov (Verne Troyer). Pitka must return the couple to marital nirvana and get Roanoke back on his game so the team can break the 40-year-old "Bullard Curse" and win the Stanley Cup.

firstloveguru.jpg

• 3 months later...

Why do you say lucky?

I think the guy is a solid entertainer who can read his audience really well.

I hardly know anyone who doesn't like the Austin Powers movies, and at the time Wayne's World was 'excellent'. He had very quotable scripts and I always laugh at his stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst I used to like some of his stuff, I think he started believing his own hype. Goldmember was a travesty of a film, ruining the amusing groundwork in the first two films. The man has talent, no question (some of the bits in Waynes World 2 are genius, like the badly-dubbed fight-scene for example), but the stories have always been a bit thin. The plot for this sounds awful without even having to see anything.

Consider me non-plussed/10

• 2 months later...

Austin Powers was taken too far in my eyes, but the guy has still created two of the most quoteable films in Austin Powers and Waynes World. So I married an axe muderer is fantastic to.

He used to be on the Wide Awake Club over here didnt he?

• 1 month later...

This is being reviewed as possibly the worst film of the year. Can't say I'm surprised, just disappointed in Myers.

Just to put it into perspective, I think Postal reviewed better than this is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apart from the movie (probably) being shit, is there some sort of controversy? I was listening to the radio today and they talked about what was coming up in their movie slot, including some sort of controversy relating to this. Didn't get to hear that bit of the show though. I don't know if there is some sort of real controversy or some tiny thing being exaggerated.