rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Calashnikov

August Hip-Hop Recommendations

HOLLA, DUDERZ! What's new this month? I've had a check and it looks to be a slow one, release-wise.

madlib_bk34.jpg

Madlib's bound-to-be-interesting album of Bollywood-steez instrumentals is out right at the end of the month on the 28th, but I couldn't find much else. I still need to get the Common album but when I do I'll share my thoughts.

Right! I advise folks to check out this rap version of one of the tracks from Madlib's brother Oh No's new album, Dr No's Oxperiments (another album I'm hoping to pick up soon). It's all mad eastern Europe and Mediterranean psychedelic folk and funk turned into instrumental hip-hop BURNERZ. I've not heard it yet, but if this bonus track is anything to go by, the beats on it bang. This vocal version has 2 beats, with Oh No then rhyme inspector Percee P on the mic, then there's a short outro beat. It's all heat and definitely got me fiending to get the album:

Action (Rap Version) - Oh No feat. Percee P

If anyone's heard the album I'd love to read some opinions. I'm sure it's got prospective fans out there, if the success of Dilla's Donuts around here is anything to go by.

Anyway, WE CAME HERE TONIGHT TO GET STARTED, TO COLD ACT ILL OR GET RETARDED...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous Editions

July 07

June 07

May 07

April 07

March 07

February 07

January 07

December 06

November 06

October 06

September 06

August 06

July 06

June 06

May 06

April 06

March 06

February 06

February 05

January 05

December 04

November 04

October 04

September 04

August 04

July 04

June 04

May 04

April 04

March 04

February 04

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miscellaneous Classic Material From the Forum's Crates

The Perfect CD for a Hip-Hop Virgin

Recommend Me Some Classic... Hip-Hop! (focusing on Golden Era late 80s/early 90s classics)

Recommend Me Some Modern... Hip-Hop! (mid 90s til the modern era)

Common - Like Water For Chocolate... and 'conscious' hip-hop (recommending jazzier, smoother, socio-political stuff rather than gangsta/street LPs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links

www.suspect-packages.co.uk

www.scenariorecords.com

www.rootdownrecords.com

www.rapandsoulmailorder.com

www.juno.co.uk

www.picadillyrecords.com

www.turntablelab.com

www.hiphopsite.com

www.ukhh.com

www.skratch-alienz.com

www.sandboxautomatic.com

www.daybydayent.com

www.thegiantpeach.com

www.hiphop-blogs.com/hiphop/

www.digitalgravel.com

Four Elements (old-skool videos)

http://www.hiphopgame.co.uk/audio.php

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommended Radio Shows

XFM – 11pm-1am Saturdays

Beats FM – 9pm-11pm Saturdays

Hiphopphilosophy.com 24/7 hip hop radio

WeFunk Radio

UGGH Radio

I'm listening to this dude's remix of Pet Sounds at the moment. It's all been reworked as an instrumental hiphop album, there's loads of Dilla references in the song titles and it's got a definite Donuts feel to it.

You can download God Only Knows as a quick sample and the whole album is a free download too - Pet Sounds: In the Key Of Dee. Worth checking out for sure, some real nice tracks.

Boom. Any chance of hearing his version of 'That's Not Me,' please? It's a favourite song of mine.

That's Not Dee

It's all a free download, I'd imagine it'll get taken down pretty quick once the lawyers catch wind.

anyone heard the new talib kweli 'ear drum' album yet?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iiu3eViGvi8

I enjoyed this, by the way. Really nicely executed, if clichéd, video. I wouldn't mind checking out the album, but I'm worried it comes off a bit disjointed, given the sheer number of great, but crazy diverse, producers and guest appearances. I like my hip-hop albums to be a bit more streamlined and stylistically consistent in my old age. The Kweli roster suggests otherwise, but I'd love to hear some impressions from anyone who checked it.

play seems to think i can buy detox... i didnt know it was released already, a quick check and it seems to be 'out there' so anyone heard this yet?

I don't know if it was shouted out in the last thread, but I've been listening to Modal Soul and Metaphorical Music, which are both albums by Nujabes.

Highly recommended to anyone who liked either Petestrumentals or the Samurai Champloo soundtrack, stuffed full of club bangers, deep sleepers, and everything dripping with fine sampling work.

I listen to way less hip-hop since I sold out. ;)

Someone had it on in the office the other day i'd already heard 'the People' and 'the Game' but the rest of the album on first listen sounded a bit meh will give it another listen soon.

Thats exactly how I heard it. The beats didn't sound anywhere near as good as Be.

I find it hard to split Be and Finding Forever, in terms of content quality anyways. The best tracks for me at present (Black Maybe, Game & Misunderstood) are more than a match for my favourites from Be (Real People, Chi-City & They Say). I dont like So Far To Go much at all, whilst I Want You and Break My Heart are both listenable but nothing outstanding by any means. The two albums are very similar in many ways, right down to track layout, and whilst both are by todays standards at least, very good, they arent a patch on his earlier releases such as Like Water For Chocolate, One Day and Resurrection. Not surprising really, as few veteran artists have peaked during the latter stages of their careers. All IMO of course :ph34r:

I think Eardrum may be my album of 07 as well, followed by Common and then either Black Milk or Prodigy. Im really starting to doubt Graduation will live up to the hype. Lupe is out in October hopefully that will be good :ph34r:

i liked the blackmilk album as well and ive only recently got black sheeps '8WM/Novakane' which i'm loving :ph34r: i cant remember what everyone else said about that but sunshine is an amazing track.

I don't think I like the new Common album. :ph34r:

I'm almost certain you were saying the same thing when Be came out, but since it was back on Dizogg's (now obliterated) Forum, there's no way I can back that up. I'm sure Isaacs was with you on it, too. You both came round, though!

My worry with Finding Forever is that the Common & Kanye double team may have lapsed into some sort of comfort level. When we heard Be we realised the two had great chemistry and could make fresh music together (a couple of us needed a bit of time to reach that conclusion. I think), but maybe they've just kinda gone on to attempt another Be-by-numbers.

I still ain't heard it all yet. The 6 or so songs that I have heard (which I guess is the majority of songs) I have liked, so I can't really complain. Unless the remaining songs fuck it all up, which I doubt.

I think my favourite albums of the year have been the Prodigy & Alchemist project, the El-P album and Pharaohe Monch. I've yet to check Talib Kweli's but I think I will. The superstar, crazy diverse, roster of producers and guests is just too bizarre not to check out. If he's managed to pull it all together into a concise album then, yeah, it's potentially great. I suppose Fishscale was on a similarly diverse production tip, and I still managed to love that.

Been meaning to check out the Black Milk album, too, but I'm in no great rush. It only got decent reviews, but that's still worth a check in 2007's rap climate.

As for Dr Dre's Detox, they reckon next year.

By the way, what did people make of the Evidence album?

344.jpg

With nuff production by the Sid Roams duo, who are on form in 07, and Alchemist (who's frankly on FIRE this year), not to mention Ev himself, I can imagine this being not bad at all. Mic-wise, Rakaa Iriscience is my favourite Dilated People, but Evidence is better than most on the MC/producer double attack. Did anyone like it? I have a mate who's big into his whole Dilated/Alchemist/Mobb Deep/Soul Assassins thing, and he maintains that the Evidence album is superior to the Prodigy/Alchemist one.

I'm listening to this dude's remix of Pet Sounds at the moment. It's all been reworked as an instrumental hiphop album, there's loads of Dilla references in the song titles and it's got a definite Donuts feel to it.

You can download God Only Knows as a quick sample and the whole album is a free download too - Pet Sounds: In the Key Of Dee. Worth checking out for sure, some real nice tracks.

Had this on repeat all evening real good shit. Love 'Lets Go Away For A While'.

By the way, what did people make of the Evidence album?

I thought this was pretty good. Only downloaded it for the track featuring Slug, to be honest (which rules), but generally pretty good.

Might make an attempt to listen to it more sometime.

Oh, and talking of Slug...

sadclownsummer.jpg

Awesome.

Rakaa Iriscience is my favourite Dilated People

Person?!?

Anyway, my wee bro was raving about it a while back. You've reminded me actually, I'd like to give it a listen.

I think Eardrum may be my album of 07 as well, followed by Common and then either Black Milk or Prodigy. Im really starting to doubt Graduation will live up to the hype. Lupe is out in October hopefully that will be good <_<

Didnt realise Lupe was so soon, cant wait for that one then. Food & liquor was stupidly good.

Commons next track from FF will be (unsurprisingly) Driving Me Wild w/Lily Allen.

i liked the blackmilk album as well and ive only recently got black sheeps '8WM/Novakane' which i'm loving :( i cant remember what everyone else said about that but sunshine is an amazing track.

I mentioned it just last month. Sunshine was my most played track of July. Fucking outstanding summer feel to it :(:):(