CD Mix Club August

the anti-lfj

Mine is out there, and hopefully it's a love it or hate it job. I'm happy with either.

I'm pretty certain mine is from you. I've erring towards the latter at the moment. I've listened to it twice now and man, it's a struggle.

There was one that sounded a bit like Halo which was alright, but me and spoken word Beat poetry don't really mix. I'll give it one more chance :D

Some feedback for the disc I got from bph last week. I didn't really get on with the majority of your selections this month I'm afraid, though I'd hazard a guess and say you didn't actually try and compile the cd with me in mind?

1. Something by Animal Collective. I really didn't get on with this at all, not once.

2. Dan Deacon - Snake Mistakes. Better, funkier, more interesting; but still a bit 'meh' to be honest. And that vocodered mid-section was awful.

3. Boom Bip - Snook Adis. Other stuff I've heard from them has been more chilled out - this is almost Electro. A bit forgetable though.

4. Von Sudenfed - Fledermaus Can't Get It. Noisy electro-punk stuff. Apart from the opening beat I'm not keen.

5. Ol' Dirty Bastard - The Stomp. Some basic hip-hop. The beat is alright but not a lot else happens. Leads nicely into...

6. Egon feat. Percee P - Reverse Pt. 2.5 (Koushik's Apples & Oranges Remix). Again, quite nice but nothing special.

7. Mr Magic - Coast To Coast (Edan Edit). Disco hip-hop. Is this old or new? Nice bassline but it sounds too similar to Rappers Delight on the whole. Really repetitive loop too.

8. Prince - Erotic City. Ah yes, this is much better. Something I actually really like. I'm slowly getting into Prince and I'm into this style of music at the moment too.

9. James Brown - Blind Man Can See It (Extended). Some vocal-free slow funk. Nice loose rhythm but the groove doesn't go anywhere, which I'm sure wouldn't be a problem if I was feeling it a bit more; but i'm not. Maybe the short version would have been better? The guitar lick that starts at 1.05 sounds real familar though. Any idea where from?

10. Brenda & The Tabulations - Let's Go All the Way (Down) [Extended Breakdown Version]. Some classic sampled vocals start the track. It's not a bad song, but it's pretty average disco stuff really and I've heard a lot of really good disco lately. Such as....

11. Dee Dee Bridgewater - Bad For Me (12" Long Version). Saving the best 'til last perhaps? The boogie style keys on the piano and the sax solo are both great. The whole track is lively, exciting and catchy - great bassline too. A clear favourite on the disc. Any more details?

:EDIT: A quick trip to Discogs reveals that Don Mizell, George Duke and Larry Levan were involved with that last track. No wonder it's good!

Let me know when you would like a tracklist.

Just got back after a week away, so haven't listened to in full yet. Managed to snatch about a 1/4 before I went, and seems to be the sort of hip-hop I can get on with. The CD should get my full attention tomorrow, ta.

I'm pretty certain mine is from you. I've erring towards the latter at the moment. I've listened to it twice now and man, it's a struggle.

There was one that sounded a bit like Halo which was alright, but me and spoken word Beat poetry don't really mix. I'll give it one more chance :ph34r:

Well, you've got my number. In my defence I know what your Oink download total is, so I had to think of something fairly different. Clearly any actual music was likely to be a bit of a gamble.

Okay, I'll get a tracklist sorted out then.

I won't feedback on all the tracks, as they all sound more or less the same. Plus it works better listening to them as a mix, in one go. But I really loved tracks 04, 05, 06, & definitely track 10. Overall though I really enjoyed it, and I don't really get to listen to any hardcore /drum & bass. Tracklisting please :)

Also, thanks for the two discs of mixes. I shall have to sit down, and give them all a listen.

Cheers.

I won't feedback on all the tracks, as they all sound more or less the same. Plus it works better listening to them as a mix, in one go. But I really loved tracks 04, 05, 06, & definitely track 10. Overall though I really enjoyed it, and I don't really get to listen to any hardcore /drum & bass. Tracklisting please :(

Also, thanks for the two discs of mixes. I shall have to sit down, and give them all a listen.

Cheers.

Here's the mix - 1 hour, ~55mb

01 - Drumsound and Simon Bassline Smith ft Skibadee - Big Tings

02 - Limewax - Pain

03 - Dykast - Cube

04 - Cartridge and Nolige - Innersense

05 - Soundmurderer and SK-1 - Toronto VIP

06 - Anvil - Tha Real

07 - Silent Killer - Fuck The System

08 - Dub One - Cry Of War

09 - Counterstrike - Triggerhappy

10 - John Rolodex - Shut The Fuck Up

11 - DJ Hidden - Times Like These

12 - Technical Itch - Heavy Metal

13 - Bazooka - Bassdrum Korrekt

14 - Current Value - Ion Storm

Glad you liked it. As always with this sort of thing it's a bit of a risk sticking to one genre espeically if all the tracks are similar in this case. I was listening to alot of this sort of thing and just fancied giving it a go this month. I notice the ones you liked were les dark and more complex, not the really hard ones towards the end. That makes sense knowing you.

And the other discs, better you have them than they go in the bin :) Enjoy.

Let me know when you would like a tracklist.

Listened to it now as a 'going out' CD and it's really enjoyable if a little quiet. It's probably going to be difficult doing feedback for a genre specific mix, all the tracks are quite group based MC dynamics. Probably the weakest track was that piano based one near the end which is interesting if not entirely successful. Can you stick up the tracklist for us David and I'll attempt a track by track feedback - hopefully not when I get back in! Overall a good solid 9/10 though.

Can you stick up the tracklist for us David and I'll attempt a track by track feedback ...

For my Mix CD this month the tracklist is as follows:

1. Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Skinz

2. Edan - I See Colours

3. RJD2 - Take The Picture Off

4. Justin Warfield - K Sera Sera

5. A Tribe Called Quest - Jam

6. Black Star - Twice Inna Lifetime

7. Fugees - Family Business

8. Cunninlynguists - Seasons

9. Souls Of Mischief - '93 Til Infinity

10. Domino - Ghetto Jam

11. Public Enemy - Shut Em' Down (Remix)

12. Outkast - 13th Floor/Growing Old

I'm glad you liked it, and yes it does work very well as a 'going out' CD I think. It has come a little late in the year unfortunately. It is meant to be a collection of very summery sounding hip-hop. Its full of artists that I listen to whenever the weather is very hot, and so listening to it for me means I get lots of good memories from summertime and going out enjoying the outdoors. I hope this kind of came across as well. A lot of the tracks remind me of those incredibly hot days you get where you can't move for sweating and the atmosphere outside seems electric and very humid, especially tracks five and six. Track nine happens to be my favourite hip-hop track of all time. Track eleven is widely regarded as being the greatest hip-hop remix ever produced, and track eight is another track whose prescence here will mean a lot to a lot of hip-hop lovers. The strings are just awesome, and, if you listen carefully, it actually samples the closing lines from the last track on this CD, the Outkast track:

"Trees bright and green turn yellow brown,

Autumn caught em, see all them leaves must fall down ..."

Anyway, thanks for your comments; it'd be interested to know how you felt about particular tracks, so I welcome your further critique.

My CD has been listened to a few times now, and I suspect feedback will be ready in the next couple of days.

My CD has been listened to a few times now, and I suspect feedback will be ready in the next couple of days.

I hope you like it. I didn't have a lot of time, so it isn't perfect. A lot of the tracks on it are songs I've loved whilst high!

right - time for feedback mr do!!!

1. whigfield - saturday night - hmmmmmm, file under 'interesting opening' for a mix cd ;)

2. erasure - blue savannah (remix) - these guys are one of my fave groups and this is actually one of my fave songs of theirs and this remix aint half bad. i really like it!

3. ? - ? - this is lovely, the beat chugs along nicely and i love the synth noises throughout along with her singing. very sort of 'im not really with it'. great stuff.

4. ? - ? - no idea who this is but it sounds really 80's. almost pet shop boys ish...

5. la dolce vita - ryan paris - oh my god, this sooooooooo reminds me f being a kid. amazing scenes!!! hadnt heard this is YEARS. :(

6. domino dancing - pet shop boys - odd sort of sambo sounding remix with hardly any vocals. interesting and makes me sing along!

7. ? - ? - i have absolutely no idea who this is, sounds like some sort of girlyband...??? very poppy.

8. dont go - yazoo = this has to be my absolute fave, by a mile. starts off sounding like an electronic boomerang, the vocoder sounding vocals drift in and out as it builds then its like a bulb lights above my head and i recognise the song! amazing. is this a remix?

overall, a very 80's mix, but rather excellent. so cheers!!!

:(

right - time for feedback mr do!!!

1. whigfield - saturday night - hmmmmmm, file under 'interesting opening' for a mix cd ;)

2. erasure - blue savannah (remix) - these guys are one of my fave groups and this is actually one of my fave songs of theirs and this remix aint half bad. i really like it!

3. ? - ? - this is lovely, the beat chugs along nicely and i love the synth noises throughout along with her singing. very sort of 'im not really with it'. great stuff.

4. ? - ? - no idea who this is but it sounds really 80's. almost pet shop boys ish...

5. la dolce vita - ryan paris - oh my god, this sooooooooo reminds me f being a kid. amazing scenes!!! hadnt heard this is YEARS. :(

6. domino dancing - pet shop boys - odd sort of sambo sounding remix with hardly any vocals. interesting and makes me sing along!

7. ? - ? - i have absolutely no idea who this is, sounds like some sort of girlyband...??? very poppy.

8. dont go - yazoo = this has to be my absolute fave, by a mile. starts off sounding like an electronic boomerang, the vocoder sounding vocals drift in and out as it builds then its like a bulb lights above my head and i recognise the song! amazing. is this a remix?

overall, a very 80's mix, but rather excellent. so cheers!!!

:(

Oh, the Yazoo track is Situation, really glad you liked it though (sorry about the first track though LOL) :wub:

01 Whigfield - Saturday Night

02 Erasure - Blue Savannah (Out Of The Blue Mix)

03 Sally Shapiro - Find My Soul

04 C.C.Catch - 'Cause You Are Young

05 Ryan Paris - Dolce Vita

06 Pet Shop Boys - Domino Dancing (Demo version)

07 S Club 7 - I'll Be There

08 Yazoo - Situation (Richard X Remix)

The mix was called August Pop Holiday, BTW.

Oh, the Yazoo track is Situation, really glad you liked it though (sorry about the first track though LOL) :(

01 Whigfield - Saturday Night

02 Erasure - Blue Savannah (Out Of The Blue Mix)

03 Sally Shapiro - Find My Soul

04 C.C.Catch - 'Cause You Are Young

05 Ryan Paris - Dolce Vita

06 Pet Shop Boys - Domino Dancing (Demo version)

07 S Club 7 - I'll Be There

08 Yazoo - Situation (Richard X Remix)

The mix was called August Pop Holiday, BTW.

superb, thanks for that. edited my first post for truth.

;)

Most of my hip-hop tastes lay in the 80's to early 90's and so this mix fits well with that style. Back in the day I got on well with the run from Kool G Rap & Dj Polo to Blackalicious to Kwame & The New Beginning. I get the odd rap album these days but tends to be the more off the wall stuff like Madlib, Stones Throw etc. I've always been more into the turntablists and music as opposed to the rhymes or content and I know it isn't true but most rap I get exposed to or see in media these days seems empty and little musical interest ( 50 Cent, Jay Z, Eminem etc ). Still I keep dipping my toes now and again and get the odd thing like EL-P and Kidz In The Hall. My all time favourite albums though would be Jungle Brothers - Done By The Forces Of Nature and Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels...

1. Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Skinz

Nice jazz swing, like the looping chants. Has that kind of 'shocklee' layers. Ashamed to say that Mecca & The Soul Brothers probably came to the end of my main interests in hip-hop and despite hearing positive reviews at the time, never really investigated further. For shame....

2. Edan - I See Colours

Has that 'spitting' type of rap that can sometimes jar, but I do like the production on this and has a kinda psychodelic feel - can see why there's a Prince Paul name drop at the start.

3. RJD2 - Take The Picture Off

I've got Deadringer so I should have recognised this, but haven't listened to it an age, so there you go!

4. Justin Warfield - K Sera Sera

I loved B Boyz on Acid and Bug Powder Dust but I think I only ever bought the 12's so have never heard My Field Trip To Planet 9 in full or at least I don't think so. Listening to it now I probably should have recognised the style but does seem a bit more laid back than the others I mentioned. I recently got his She Wants Revenge album which I thought was better than some reviews made out, although overly long.

5. A Tribe Called Quest - Jam

Recognised Q-Tip but not the track as only have the first 3 albums. Nice rolling rhythm, and maintains that Blue Note type sampling they do so well. Kinda angry ending!

6. Black Star - Twice Inna Lifetime

Never heard of these, feels sorta Wu-Tang in style. Wikipedia shows them to be the base for Mos Def and Kweli which I guess makes this history in the making...

7. Fugees - Family Business

I would probably normally dismiss this based on the name as I always seemed to find anything by Wyclef lacking in imagination ( rightly? ) This ain's so bad though - the rhyming works better than the production.

8. Cunninlynguists - Seasons

Recognise the Masta Ace namedrop. Yep the strings maketh the song.

9. Souls Of Mischief - '93 Til Infinity

Reminded me of Tribe Called Quests Award Tour. I can see a dancefloor going crazy for this.

10. Domino - Ghetto Jam

This works well as part of your mix. Has a kinda P-Funk party style vibe. Could see it working well again in a club.

11. Public Enemy - Shut Em' Down (Remix)

Okay I can sorta recognise Chuck D now. I'm probably most familar with Fear Of A Black Planet and more used to The Bomb Squads sonic assaults. Would imagine this goes down well as an end of nighter.

12. Outkast - 13th Floor/Growing Old

As I said it's interesting - not too sure that it works, but I imagine it'll grow on a few more listens.

So to recap, a great compilation. Can see me sticking this on a few times in the future. Thanks.

Some feedback for the disc I got from bph last week. I didn't really get on with the majority of your selections this month I'm afraid, though I'd hazard a guess and say you didn't actually try and compile the cd with me in mind?

It always freaks me out when people know what the tracknames are ^_^ I didn't expect you to like it all really - you enjoyed more than I thought. I did scrap my original idea for a CD (which was going to be all doom/art metal) when I saw you were my recepient as I knew you'd despise it so I went with something a bit more palatable, but with a couple of quirks.

1. Peacebone by Animal Collective. I really didn't get on with this at all, not once. I love this, completely out there. The chorus is wonderful, with all the sound effects and kettle drums.

2. Dan Deacon - Snake Mistakes. Better, funkier, more interesting; but still a bit 'meh' to be honest. And that vocodered mid-section was awful. I wanted to include something by Dan Deacon, mainly because I saw him in concert the other week. Although it's influenced by seeing him live, the vocodered section is my favourite bit - the lyrics :wub:

My dad is so cool

he is the coolest dad in dad-story

he's not like any dad you'll see

he'll pick you up if I asked him to

3. Boom Bip - Snook Adis. Other stuff I've heard from them has been more chilled out - this is almost Electro. A bit forgetable though.

4. Von Sudenfed - Fledermaus Can't Get It. Noisy electro-punk stuff. Apart from the opening beat I'm not keen. An album I've been enjoying recently, couldn't decide whether to include this or Flooded. It's refreshingly heavy and distorted, but still pretty accessible. It may lose a bit if you're not familiar with Mark E. Smith though.

5. Ol' Dirty Bastard - The Stomp. Some basic hip-hop. The beat is alright but not a lot else happens. Leads nicely into... I'm a bit disappointed you didn't like this, this is all about the minimilism and the way it drunkenly lollops along - perfectly matches the ODB's delivery.

6. Egon feat. Percee P - Reverse Pt. 2.5 (Koushik's Apples & Oranges Remix). Again, quite nice but nothing special.

7. Mr Magic - Coast To Coast (Edan Edit). Disco hip-hop. Is this old or new? Nice bassline but it sounds too similar to Rappers Delight on the whole. Really repetitive loop too. This is old, like dawn of hiphop late 70s/v.early 80s (albeit slightly tweaked by Edan) - I love hiphop from the period, mainly for the sense of fun and innocence about it all.

8. Prince - Erotic City. Ah yes, this is much better. Something I actually really like. I'm slowly getting into Prince and I'm into this style of music at the moment too. I did originally have another Prince song on but decided to go with this as it's one of his best - which he tossed away as a B-Side. The chorus is superb

9. James Brown - Blind Man Can See It (Extended). Some vocal-free slow funk. Nice loose rhythm but the groove doesn't go anywhere, which I'm sure wouldn't be a problem if I was feeling it a bit more; but i'm not. Maybe the short version would have been better? The guitar lick that starts at 1.05 sounds real familar though. Any idea where from? I know what you mean about the guitar, I can't place it at the moment but I know it's obvious. The attraction of this song to me is the repetition of the groove and near the end where it all breaks down just to the guitar. I guess if you don't like the groove though you're a bit stuffed as that's all it is.

10. Brenda & The Tabulations - Let's Go All the Way (Down) [Extended Breakdown Version]. Some classic sampled vocals start the track. It's not a bad song, but it's pretty average disco stuff really and I've heard a lot of really good disco lately. Such as.... This was a bit of a bridge track, although I do like the groove on this too, as well as the vocals.

11. Dee Dee Bridgewater - Bad For Me (12" Long Version). Saving the best 'til last perhaps? The boogie style keys on the piano and the sax solo are both great. The whole track is lively, exciting and catchy - great bassline too. A clear favourite on the disc. Any more details? I've been meaning to include this on a CD for ages, I know next to nothing about it though - just what's on the CD inlay (it's from a Larry Levan compilation) which just basically says it was an early remix of his and is impossibly rare. From about 2.45 to the end it's pretty much perfect to me - it's so brash and full of joy

I found it interesting that some of the criticisms you've levelled at a couple of the songs are what make them stand out to me, anyway thanks for listening!