rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
chalkitdown

Californication

Shit, annoying ending, though. Mind you, Cali season finales often struggle to end things - it's a drama driven solely by characters, not plot, so when Kapinos tries to shoehorn in some last-minute contrivance to prevent Hank and Karen getting together, it always feels forced. The only satisfying ending to date was the one where Hank got arrested.

That said, it's been a great season. Cool cover of A Day In The Life that partly redeemed the weak denouement, too.

How hot is that English girl in this? Smoking! Charlie Runkle is a lucky wee baldy bastard!

Absolutely love Tobolowsky in this, guy is a genuine legend. I highly recommend his podcast, The Tobolowsky Files, one of the best story-telling hollywood-ish podcasts out there.

As always with Cali, I had no idea that was the end of the series, like you say, it's about characters, not plot. It has been going on a bit too long tho - be happy to see both this and Weeds wrap up next series.

It didn't feel like the end of a season, just another episode where they stuck some random event in just to try and force a cliffhanger. It was pretty poor I thought.

As always with Cali, I had no idea that was the end of the series, like you say, it's about characters, not plot. It has been going on a bit too long tho - be happy to see both this and Weeds wrap up next series.

This isn't aimed at you personally. But why the hell do people say this? If you are fed up with it stop watching - I hate the attitude of "I've had enough so I hope it ends." I am still loving it and hope it carries on.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This isn't aimed at you personally. But why the hell do people say this? If you are fed up with it stop watching - I hate the attitude of "I've had enough so I hope it ends." I am still loving it and hope it carries on.

Isn't it natural to want something to end on a high rather than become a pale imitation of what it once was?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Cali is still great, though! :)

I certainly appreciate your point, mind. For example, I LOVED The Shield and had mixed emotions when it ended as I was both gutted but also pleased that it never 'went a bit shit'.

Just finished season 4 and, while I still love the dialogue and Runkle ( naturally ) I'm not sure I can cope with another season of the same schtick.

Hank looking like he's finally taking things seriously then screwing up, Becca giving a mature speech to him about how he needs to be a father, Hank looking solemn then returning to his usual behaviour immediately, it looking like Hank might worm his way back into Karen's affections, a moment of tenderness then Karen telling him he now needs to be out of her life forever, annnnnnnd wash rinse and repeat....

That it still makes me watch six episodes in a row despite this constantly repeating circle of events is testament to the rest of the show, the bits that don't try to be a family drama that only has a handful of things to say. I don't suppose Season five is any different?

Isn't it natural to want something to end on a high rather than become a pale imitation of what it once was?

I see what you mean, but we all have different tastes and I happen to think this show is still fantastic. There are shows I can't stand/think are very poor - or think they are past their best. I think Doctor Who is past its best and am not keen on Matt Smith at all, but I don't sit here wishing it had ended when David Tennant departed just because I personally don't enjoy it anymore. I just don't tune in.

Season 5 was really good with some great new characters. It's worth watching if just for the episode when

the 'dancer' that Batesy pulls turns up at Karen's house and Hank pretends she is his new girlfriend. Thinking about it now makes me laugh.

Sam was also great in this, as was the new boyfriend and, of course, Runkle was on fire.

Still a great show.

Just finished series one of this and loved it, there are a couple of scenes that stand-out as just brilliant and I like the whole vibe. Several laugh out loud moments, and the threesome made me spit my beer across the living room, gave a whole super 3D feel to the scene.

This is just plain awful now. They create yet another tenuous reason why Hank and Karen aren't together, and then everyone just becomes cartoon characters. It was funny when Runkle was the buffoon, but now it seems everyone is. Karen's 'stoned' scenes were cringeworthy. It's as though a 12-year old is writing the show.

• Upvote 1

Im on season 3 now and i alternate between loving it and hating it. Moody is brilliant one minute then borderline retarded the next. I can appreciated the immaturity of his character but it goes from the sublime to the ridiculous.

the most reason episode has the highest dodgy brit accent count since Daphne got married in Frasier and the whole Moon clan arrived.

Yeah, the widow in particular annoyed me. Still enjoying the show, though this season has probably been the weakest to date so far. Minchin's presence is particularly distracting.

Forgot about this, the last series was pretty meh

edit: watched the first 2 episodes, it reeks of something that's run out of ideas but I do suppose the main storyline quit out ages ago. This really should be the last. I thought it was a bit tired last season.