rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
chalkitdown

Californication

Just watched the first episode there. Thought it was brilliant. Fantastic ending.

It's a half hour comedy/drama type show starring David Duchovny . Starts on Showtime in a fortnight but the first episode is available online now.

Duchovny is great in it.

Comes highly recommended from me, anyway. Check out the first episode at least.

If that's of the female sort, consider me sold!

Yeah, it is. Though, if you're into David Duchovny's arse, you're in luck, too. :ph34r:

I actually haven't seen as much nudity in a single episode of a tv show in quite some time. Since one of the more provacative episodes of Rome season 1, actually.

There are some ridiculously hot women in the first episode. I was quite surprised one of the actresses (Zima) that is shortly seen partially nude turned out to be a major cast member and not a guest star.

Yeah, it is. Though, if you're into David Duchovny's arse, you're in luck, too. :)

I actually haven't seen as much nudity in a single episode of a tv show in quite some time. Since one of the more provacative episodes of Rome season 1, actually.

You know, I never realised I was gay until I read this. Downloading now!

You can watch the entire first episode here if you don't fancy downloading it. The video quality is a bit jittery, but it's perfectly watchable.

*edit* damn, it looks like it was taken down. It was definitely there earlier on, though.

Well, that was impressive. The usual slickness that I expect from America, but the cuts and shots were also original. Case in point: when Hank grabs his daughter at the party there was no sound, no fuss, he just did it at the scene was over. Nice.

Very strange seeing Duchovny in this role. The X-Files was hugely influential on me as a kid, to the point where I consciously tried to take on some of Mulder's mannerisms. Like Patrick Stewart's Picard, he's a very 'safe' character, one you feel at home with as soon as he's on the screen and, it has to be said, a bit of a loner, which was comforting to me as a teenager. Seeing DD play Hank is actually quite scary, but after I shook off the unease I realised he's very good in the role. Same with the daughter (not at all annoying) and the wife, who was very believable.

Some schmaltz (I didn't like the ending) and on the nose acting, but that's something I tend to expect with US imports, and doesn't really bother me in this context.

After being burned on My Name is Earl I was worried about this, but yeah - really good. Strong stuff from the off, and I suspect that my hope that over time Hank shakes off some of the more cliched aspects of his character and shows some real depth will be more than fulfilled.

Only niggle for me was:

You find out the girl is supposed to be 16 at the end. Yet when you see them having sex you see her naked. So in the back of my mind I know she must be over 18 for them to air it. Just sort of broke the plot a little for me in a stupid way. *I would obviously NOT have wanted them to air it with a 16 year old*

Well, that was impressive. The usual slickness that I expect from America, but the cuts and shots were also original. Case in point: when Hank grabs his daughter at the party there was no sound, no fuss, he just did it at the scene was over. Nice.

Very strange seeing Duchovny in this role. The X-Files was hugely influential on me as a kid, to the point where I consciously tried to take on some of Mulder's mannerisms. Like Patrick Stewart's Picard, he's a very 'safe' character, one you feel at home with as soon as he's on the screen and, it has to be said, a bit of a loner, which was comforting to me as a teenager. Seeing DD play Hank is actually quite scary, but after I shook off the unease I realised he's very good in the role. Same with the daughter (not at all annoying) and the wife, who was very believable.

Very much my own thoughts, wasnt as strnage as seeing him do Red SHoe Diaries though. Excellent show, which day does it air on?

I watched this at the weekend and thought it was excellent. Duchovny is so perfect for his role but there's still a hint of Fox Mulder's arrogance about the character. He may be typecast forever but Californication could put him back on the map.

I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. It's good to see US shows from the cable networks like this and Weeds that don't shy away from swearing or adult themes, which this had plenty of both.

Duchovny was superb and it was the first thing I've seen him in where I didn't think of him as Mulder. Shows great promise. Nudity very much for the win.

You gotta say why!

I watched it months ago so I can't remember everything, but I found David Duchovny's character absolutely charmless and vile, and I thought all the sex scenes were just cringeworthy.

I didn't think it was witty or clever, and the whole show felt to me as though it was an exercise in getting boobs on the TV.

Most posts in the thread mention nudity as a highlight. As much as i'd like to see various actors with no clothes on, I don't think it would make a show better. Actually, that's a huge lie.

Maybe i'm being a bit hard on it, but out of the 8 or so of us that watched it, none of us thought it was good.

I watched it months ago so I can't remember everything, but I found David Duchovny's character absolutely charmless and vile, and I thought all the sex scenes were just cringeworthy.

I didn't think it was witty or clever, and the whole show felt to me as though it was an exercise in getting boobs on the TV.

Most posts in the thread mention nudity as a highlight. As much as i'd like to see various actors with no clothes on, I don't think it would make a show better. Actually, that's a huge lie.

Maybe i'm being a bit hard on it, but out of the 8 or so of us that watched it, none of us thought it was good.

I think I was one of the '8' that day and yes I'd say it came across as a bit charmless really.

It didn't help that it had been sold to us as a comedy, which it isn't really.