rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Harry

Gran Turismo 5 Official Thread

I was having a wonderful time on the Japanese Classics special events in my 240Z. I found it impossible to catch up with the front-runner though, so upgraded everything, stuck on a spoiler, reconditioned the engine etc, etc. Now my PP is too high by about 50 points! Suppose I should buy another one? Seems I can't remove enough of the mods to get it down by enough

You can reduce Engine levels to like 95% of the total power. i forget which option it is under... engine probably!!! ...but it works okay for just slipping over the line of a PP level.

You can reduce Engine levels to like 95% of the total power. i forget which option it is under... engine probably!!! ...but it works okay for just slipping over the line of a PP level.

Great, those micro-management options are really hidden away.

Enjoying the new videos on GTTV, and the photo mode's pretty addictive. What with that and all the tinkering I played for two hours last night and didn't do a single race! Love the way the support and seasonal events make it a living breathing experience.

Speaking of which, the fourth GT Academy goes live on May 1st. :)

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=25536

• Upvote 1

This should come with a warning for would-be new players about needing a fast internet connection, so many GB of patches!

I haven't played a Gran Turismo for any length of time since GT2, so this is already amazing for the framerate alone :wub:

• Upvote 1

This should come with a warning for would-be new players about needing a fast internet connection, so many GB of patches!

And you'll find it locks on loading if you don't have a decent connection

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Aww yeah, it's good to be back.

Is there any way to export full-sized snaps?

post-781-0-15093800-1339550283_thumb.jpg

post-781-0-90964100-1339553732_thumb.jpg

Had a look on neogaf at the GT5 photo thread (which has some incredible pics by the way) and they say in photo mode to set the view to 16:9 and then change the multiplier to 3x for 16MP and 2x for 8MP.

I believe you can take the highest quality photos in travel mode.

Not sure anyone other than me is still playing GT regularly but Motegi DLC came out this week - 4 layouts (none of which are reverse versions). 2 of them are great race circuits for the higher PP cars the other 2 are best suited for the lower end cars but still great (although the Oval is really small).

In other related news I recently discovered poor pedal positioning had made it nearly imposible to accurately control the throttle on RWD cars. Since fixing that I can now drift (although not with any style yet) but most importantly I can now left foot break, OMG the difference that makes to controlling RWD is amazing. Now a mistake in a RWD is not punished by me ending up pointing the wrong way or in the sand!

I still play it fairly regularly. But haven't dipped into the DLC because they did the annoying thing that Turn 10 did when they released a DLC track for one of the Forza games way back when. That is, releasing a new track, but not giving any new events with which to use it. Just makes it feel like a waste of money when I won't get any use out of it, and for online you only need one person to have bought the track anyway.

It's a pity because at least they have taken the time to release extra tracks.

I still play it fairly regularly. But haven't dipped into the DLC because they did the annoying thing that Turn 10 did when they released a DLC track for one of the Forza games way back when. That is, releasing a new track, but not giving any new events with which to use it. Just makes it feel like a waste of money when I won't get any use out of it, and for online you only need one person to have bought the track anyway.

It's a pity because at least they have taken the time to release extra tracks.

Unfortunately they plugged that little loop hole - everyone online needs to have purchased the track to race on it now.

As for Motegi I hear it was the main track in the last phase of GT Academy although it's not the same as having a couple of Seasonal's on it which I believe they did with Spa in the end.

This game is a total grindfest with some appalling UI decisions and ropey graphics and yet for some reason I'm really enjoying it in the main. Some of the problems I have with it are just plain weird - why is my garage sorted into premium and standard so I have to do twice the checking for a car? I don't fucking care! Why do I win vouchers I have to turn into cars rather than just showing me what I've won and a wee info splash about it? Why is "Start Race" the default selected menu item upon finishing a race? GNNGGH. But yeah, I like it. I like GT, and these clumsy UI elements and dreadful menu music kind of make it what it is in a way.

A couple of more important issues I have and can't seem to resolve though:

• Where can I turn off the driving/braking line? I can't find the option for it anywhere.
  • Is there somewhere I can turn off assists? Again, this might be somewhere obvious and I'm just not seeing it.
  • Car vendors. There are the dealerships which sell new cars and the used car guy who sells the obvious. What is the purpose of the other one on the main page, called something like an Online Dealership? Right now it seems to stock about half a dozen Fiat 500s and an F1 car which is a little odd.
  • If I check the cars in arcade mode or before a race in the "typical opponents" option there are loads of cars that just don't seem to be sold anywhere. Are these all just prizes at various points or do more cars unlock for sale as I progress?

You turn off assists (including the racing line I think) just before starting a race. I think it's called racing options. Either way, it is one of the options at the bottom of the screen before where the option to start the race is. Not to mention you can select abs, traction control and a couple of other settings at any time during a race by hitting the d-pad.

The tickets when you won a car were a pain in the arse at one point. But like several other things in the game, it has been streamlined and now you can just cash in all of them at once, save keep seeing the loading screen before it shows you the cars you have won.

As far as I'm aware, the online dealership is sometimes the only place you can pick up certain special cars. Which again can be a pain in the arse. But that wasn't such an issue a while back when plenty of people were playing, as you could just gift each other cars anyway. It does mean it can be very difficult to get some races done though.

One thing I have to say though, it had a lot of issues when it first launched. But credit to them for continually updating the game, tweaking stuff as they saw fit or in response to fan requests. Probably my second favourite racing game ever these days.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thank you sir! I probably would never have thought to look in the pre-race menus for that.

They have always done a pretty decent job with updates, I remember buying GT5 Prologue a while ago and they did add a fair bit of content to that for quite a while after release. I had gone back to release day in this thread and it was a bit sad how many people were let down by this but I'm certainly enjoying it coming to it as it is currently.

• Upvote 1

I'm still playing it ... i managed to get all gold in the GT academy thing last month and make it into the the top 10,000 position .. I rock ;)

That video is really nice. I've always thought that track was the most graphically impressive. I never realised it was a real place, I just thought it was inspired by a location. Fantastic attention to detail...not forgetting GT's amazing lighting model.

I've read some good things about the 3D in the game, but as someone who can't see 3D I can't comment on it myself sadly.

That's some insane detail, even the trees are in the right place!

3d mode is interesting in this, especially cockpit view which shows an incredible sense of depth but unfortunately the cross-talk can get pretty bad when racing at night. (on my Samsung ps50 c7000 anyway)

Oh god. I'd forgot about that. My TV does 3D as well.

May have to get back into this. I forget if i tried it with my CSR although i've got into GameStockCar 2012 right now.

I've tried the 3D in GT5. Its pretty cool - best track to get the effect (in my opinion) is the neon lit karting track assuming you bought the DLC.

Playing different 3D games, I've found that in order for the 3D to 'stand out' you need a mix of objects - some near and some far away - in order to percieve the depth. So things like Killzone 3 (thinking of the alien jungle level specifically) works brilliantly as you weave through the grass - you see all the different depths and it feels really 3D.

When you are racing the track is clear of obstructions so you dont have as much on screen 'noise' to percieve the depth. So long story short, I found racing games to 'feel' less 3D than third person shooters.

So I blagged a copy of this yesterday cheap. It was the platinum re-release so I figured it will be OK they'll have included most of the updates (aka fixes) on the disc.

Met with a 180mb "cache" creation on the HDD which was not very swiftly followed by :

1. 604mb patch

2. 300mb patch

3. 48mb patch

4. 48mb patch

5. 1023mb patch

At this point I realised there were 18 "patches" in total and fired up borderlands - a few hours later I checked back "Would you like to install the game to HDD so it doesn't load like an aids-ridden pig?" - yes please - ETA 50 minutes.

So I went back to Borderlands

It's like they don't want you to actually play the game - words fail me.

• Upvote 2

Did anyone check out the 3D mode in this game?

Tempted to pick it up just for that (I'm a Forza fan).

Been playing in 3D since launch, I had to dial it up a bit in settings to get decent depth though. Personally I find it makes a big difference to your perception of the apex and thus improves lap times. But that might just be me.

Silverstone's coming guys.

Not sure on ribbons/configs yet.

To GT5?

Did anyone check out the 3D mode in this game?

Tempted to pick it up just for that (I'm a Forza fan).

That's why I rebought a cheapo - if it hadn't taken forever to get to the menu yesterday I'd have been able to report back.

Might give it a spin tonight.