Gran Turismo 5 Official Thread

Harry

so, i bought a Dodge charger to do the american muscle race in the amatuer series, but it keeps hitting the rev limiter at around 105mph, ive tried various upgrades but it still does it, even in a one make race the other cars fly by me with no trouble. any ideas?

Did you buy it second hand? If so it needs an engine overhaul.

so, i bought a Dodge charger to do the american muscle race in the amatuer series, but it keeps hitting the rev limiter at around 105mph, ive tried various upgrades but it still does it, even in a one make race the other cars fly by me with no trouble. any ideas?

Not familiar with the possibilities of tuning, but can you try changing the gear ratios? Make sure the final one is very, very long.

Couple of small questions I still have outstanding and can anyone answer them -

1) How do you get the welcome message to appear on your racing profile? Mine doesn't show up on my profile card but does on my friends.

2) How do you share a track with friends? I made a tough track and "shared it with friends" but it doesn't show up anywhere or on my profile.

3) What is the point of "Share with friends" on a vehicle? Other than putting a small graphic of it on your profile what does this do? (they also show up as the set online tab of your garage.

Minor questions in the big picture - but its the little detail that is bugging me right now for some reason!

When making comparisons about graphics you have to remember that when you aim for 60FPS you have to make concession and even though the 1080p frame buffer isn't real 1080p it's still a lot to render ... then there's the number of cars on screen in a race. I think DF summed it up eloquently and there comments on the engine and the 3D implementation are spot on. I'm not specifically defending GT here I just think when making comparisons with other games you have to measure them on a like for like basis. You most certainly can compare a game running a 30FPS 720p with a 60fps game that is drawing a larger frame buffer.

When making comparisons about graphics you have to remember that when you aim for 60FPS you have to make concession and even though the 1080p frame buffer isn't real 1080p it's still a lot to render ... then there's the number of cars on screen in a race. I think DF summed it up eloquently and there comments on the engine and the 3D implementation are spot on. I'm not specifically defending GT here I just think when making comparisons with other games you have to measure them on a like for like basis. You most certainly can compare a game running a 30FPS 720p with a 60fps game that is drawing a larger frame buffer.

I've just read that article and it appears that the posters who would have us believe DF gave the game a well deserved 5-page shit slagging were a long way off the mark, because apart from the low-res alphas and shadows they seem very impressed with the tech PD have put together.

oh and the Jazz, God in heaven the jazz i fucking annoying. Why can i have my own music in the race ... which i don't want anyway, i want to here the car noise. Yet cannot have my own music for the menus where a bit of School of seven bells would be aceness ? It must be a Japanese thing :sherlock:

Probably the most irritating part of any of the GT's. Thank GOD for the mute button.

The Rally stages can GO FUCKING DIE IN A BASTARD FIRE!

Rage inducing like no other game I have ever played.

And I think my Elise in the Top Gear challenge is broken, horrible floaty steering that cannot make its mind up whether it wants to oversteer or understeer me through a bunch of cones.

loving the nascar with zombie gordon. For some reason i cant quite get the gold on the second one. Just missed it on the line twice. I was heading to the left of the red car but now im trying a tactic to follow the blue down the right using the gap between red and the wall. Awesome tho. Looking forward to some daytona action online.

Yeah, me too. You've got to be GT gold perfect, which pretty much means being a solid driver and being Technically perfect in a way only the Japs could imitate.

I can't even win the VW Combi race - far from it actually but overall its pretty damn good.

Certainly harder AI then i recalled on GT4, but then i've appraoched the game differently anyway - guns blazing from the boredom of having played the previous series over and over (including the Ltd edition Toyota shop game) - whilst realising i was never playing it properly anyway.

So winning a race with all aids was never going to be fun and certainly not in touch with the "driving and racing spirit" i've grown to enjoy from Rf and the Race series - didn't realise it at the time though.

I have just spent an hour attempting to finish the top gear challenge, the one with the VW vans. How in the name of buggery bollocks do you win this ? Actually even finishing it is a major challenge. They carve you up, take out the cones, cut the corners with no penalty at all, yet you only have to stick a wheel on the grass or move a cone and you're back to the start.

One day i will meat kaz and kick him in the nuts for this.

With the VWs you need to be super aggressive, slipstreaming the arse off the other vans and bashing their sides during turns so you don't need to slow down. Just remember you can't whack the back of them at speed, and also don't panic when you get out in first and realise you've no idea how the track goes because you were just following everyone else!

Yeah, i'd kinda figured slipstreaming would be the only way with all balanced cars - but you know - its GT. You also assume agression would work but it doesn't.

One reason i do like the events actually is because everything is on your level.

You don't tune to win. You could still buy and tune a better car but on here when your playing "raw" without aids its another story. Sure makes overtakes satisfying but its not that easy IMO.

That said, you have to spend a fair bit to beat a vehicle in the K' series cup - i didn't try the BEAT though or the Susuki Works tuned Alto.

Slipstreaming is a no-no (on Autumn ring mini) with the Mazda AZ and i had to switch the aids to default owing to its fishtailiny nature.

But even then, it could spin on as i found out to my cost at Susuka East, when i came out of Gyaku Bank a bit quick, hit the brake a bit heavy and lost all traction on the brow of the turn as it dropped towards the final straight.

Hmm....certainly as hard as Forza was and as i said to Joe an Meers the other night, theres less control.

Just bought that new Premiem BMW Z4. Thats a nice piece of work - although my first race ended with a nasty crash approaching the sharp left (Lakeside?) after the long straight through Deep Forest. Playing that one "raw" (all aids off) as well - won eventually. Took that Shelby on the inside of the curve on the nex try and strayed in the lead.

I'm not really getting the rain hate TBH. Its not changable an is track specific, granted...still looks alright though. I appreciate the pixilation thing too...but at least its there.

The rain in GT5 is an afterthought addition, I find. Just look at how F1 2010 does rain effects which, quite frankly, is the new benchmark for racing games to come. Anyone denying that is insane.

The rain in GT5 is an afterthought addition, I find. Just look at how F1 2010 does rain effects which, quite frankly, is the new benchmark for racing games to come. Anyone denying that is insane.

Well, no one is. I'm saying it doesnt't look that shit. Route 7, at night, in the rain is pretty amazing. Hardly an afterthought either. It looks good in car so obviously they've tried pretty hard an the road surface looks pretty damn cool too.

The effect is not as good as F1 2010 - granted - but its 30hz and smells of wee wee..

But yeah, all this "they cars don't spray" its pants. They do spray, but it doesn't affect your vision "in addition". Still makes it harder to race, which is the point.

And it looks better overall. Just not changable is all.

Its only because the rest of the game looks frankly more amazing then anything out there that people slate these things anyway.

Oh and BTW...you know when your spectating...you actually spectate. Not look at a menu.

Afterthought my arse.

Oh, oh oh and the photo mode puts you in a live situtaion. Like in Berne, the trams and people are moving. 3D ones too :lol:

Another first. Another win.

;)

oops, my new lamborghini is a bit tricky, still, i'll battle on at the back of the pack.

nrburgringgpf2.th.jpg

what the hell is that black smoke, i cant see a bloody thing.

nrburgringgpf4.th.jpg

it was a porshe facing the wrong way.

nrburgringgpf1.th.jpg

did somebody forget to send RUF the memo? your supposed to stay in a perfect queue on the racing line at all times!

The rain in GT5 is an afterthought addition, I find.

What does that mean to GT5 though? That they thought of it after the fourth year of development? ;)

Regardless, shadows are definitely not an afterthought but are afflicted by the same issue.

Its just a case of devs having to work with the hardware to get the best from it. To maintain anything like decent frames rates with 12-16 cars, something has to give.

I don't mind poor shadows if it means they improve the framerates. And they're not that poor - just blocky.

I see no one's noticed the in-car shadows have got better. Much better. I could be wrong (i forget actually) but I don't see the sun having an effect on Forza Cockpits. Yet you get shadow movement inside and non blocky shadows (unlike Prologue).

Thats much more likelife then what you get with most in car dashes, espeically with inertia and the best race spaltter effects even seen on a windscreen.

Anyone want to try out my desert track I created? 4 minute endurance fest. Its not too bad for a first effort (it was trial and error really - I don't really fully understand how it works but working on it!)

If you do, add me on - SharkEnergy69. On my profile click on Tracks. Not sure if we can race against each other round it which is pretty pants.

Its just a case of devs having to work with the hardware to get the best from it. To maintain anything like decent frames rates with 12-16 cars, something has to give.

I don't mind poor shadows if it means they improve the framerates. And they're not that poor - just blocky.

The shadows look fine generally except for standing start races where the camera pans around the car, there's a really bad sawtooth effect on the car shadows. I hate that bit anyway, I want to see my rev counter during the countdown, not feel sick from being spun around my car like that.

The Rally stages can GO FUCKING DIE IN A BASTARD FIRE!

Rage inducing like no other game I have ever played.

And I think my Elise in the Top Gear challenge is broken, horrible floaty steering that cannot make it's mind up whether it wants to oversteer or understeer me through a bunch of cones.

Mine does it too. I'm not entirely sure they should handle like that. I've driven an Exige and they handle like a dream.

*edit*

They're on comfort hards.

Thats not right, or rather it is, but its Kaz being a real bastard.

Try cranking the ABS to max prehaps.

I'm sure it would handle like a dream with sports or racing tyres but havent bought one to check.

Apparently you can't hit cars in their braking zones, but can in other areas.

*edit* 2

Another tip is too overlap the brake and gas as its Mid engined but the thing hates juice through corners and its easy to overbrake but you can slide it.