Gran Turismo 5 Official Thread

Harry

Careful once it clicks it bites and you'll be hooked ;)

If you've got cash to spare then a G25 or G27 is the best, if not a driving force pro (the one with the dials) is about £80 at the mo on GAME (half price). Then another £100 on a wheel stand pro (best solution by a huge margin) unless like me your a bit handy with the power tools then make your own I'm happy to share my design although the dimensions were all made using a measuring stick to my chair hieght (didn't use a ruler at all!).

The Driving Force Pro isn't the one with the dials. Thats a driving force GT, which appeared after the pro.

The Pro doesn't have the dials, not that you could buy one now anyway.

Glad your enjoying it Harns...

I was debating the game with the usual crowd last night and kinda felt alone.

I dont't really know what you mean. In the main wheel settings (not the settings for the wheel itself) it was selectable for me so i chose that.

Also note, you won't win anything if you do a cup on its own. You have to do the full cup. Difference?

You can't reset a cup race so bear that in mind. Pays to practice first.

Anyway, anyone being able to drive these cars with a pad...good luck. Your already sorted by virtual of the fact a Pad defaults to 0 when flicked to centre so you can brake without to many issues.

Us wheel users have to hold that position, so braking hard is a no-no with certain cars.

Look again when you set it to simulation in the wheel setup it highlights the older non 900degree wheels, inversely it highlights just the 900degree wheels when you select power steering. I checked the options based on your feedback and saw that it didn't apply to those wheels. I think those setting just make the lesser wheels have different forms of feedback.

Ah okay. I'll check later.

I've got the older DFP, which is a 900 degree wheel. The GT series replaced it (despite the fact my Pro is a GT edition for GT4 - LPRC-11500 i think).

I don't quite get the option has not all cars should have power steering anyway but i'm not sure it means true power steering. Its a bit annoying as i want the car to simply have the feel of the orignal.

If power steering existed on the model, then fair enough, but if it didn't then obviously most cars (of the 60's and many of the 70s') would be quite heavy.

Look again when you set it to simulation in the wheel setup it highlights the older non 900degree wheels, inversely it highlights just the 900degree wheels when you select power steering. I checked the options based on your feedback and saw that it didn't apply to those wheels. I think those setting just make the lesser wheels have different forms of feedback.

Ah yeah. Foudn what you mean. I've switched Power Steering off. I hadn't realised that.

I'm trying to do the simple K series and failing badly. Bought an Mazsda AZ and lightened the thing, plus added exhaust and transmission parts but the thing oversteers really badly. Sadly the wheel doesn't lock to the actual lock of the car.

Very interesting read, this Eurogamer Digital Foundry article on Gran Turismo 5. In short, I don't think there's ever been a game that looks so gorgeous and so terrible at the same time.

We already know the gorgeous, but here's some examples of the terrible:

- The framerate is all over the place, see this video.

- Very pixely rain:

Dodgy_Alpha1.jpg.jpg

- Very pixely shadows:

Dodgy_Shadows2.jpg.jpg

- Standard cars:

aaakmaadn.jpg

101125112452175906.jpg

Now you could say "don't complain, there's 1030 cars in the game, no wonder there's a lot of them that are less detailed." But to be honest, for consistency I would have preferred Polyphony to pull a GT3 and just keep it at the 200 Premium cars. Now a large part of the cars just looks shoddy.

people are way too fussy. The awesome visuals outweigh the bad. The standard cars and karts arent that bad. Thoserain effectx are quite cool. The pixel shadows are just being picky. Also im loving the online. Earlier i joined a euro room with 5 cars already racing round the full nurbergring in supercars. I chose to watch the race and the interface is brilliant. Itd like replay mode but live and you can voice or chat with thefrivers or other spectators.

people are way too fussy. The awesome visuals outweigh the bad. The standard cars and karts arent that bad. Thoserain effectx are quite cool. The pixel shadows are just being picky. Also im loving the online. Earlier i joined a euro room with 5 cars already racing round the full nurbergring in supercars. I chose to watch the race and the interface is brilliant. Itd like replay mode but live and you can voice or chat with thefrivers or other spectators.

What, you're telling me I can't like the fact how some visuals look awful? I definitely agree that a lot of graphical elements look stunning, especially in Photo Mode. But with all these negative elements, this just isn't the best looking racing game around. I'd give that award to Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit at the moment.

The standard cars are bad looking, not just compared to the premium cars, but also to cars in other racing games. Forza 3 may only have 400+, but all of them look spot-on and have cock-pit views. Karts suffer the most from pixely shadows. You call the rain effects cool, I call them obsolete - PGR4 already did them one hell of a lot better, and that was a whopping 3 years ago.

Mind you, I'm just talking graphics here - stuff I also noticed during the few gameplay sessions I had with the full game. As said, will come back on things like the gameplay once I had a proper long sessions tomorrow. And I'm expecting good things to come out of that :)

What, you're telling me I can't like the fact how some visuals look awful?

No, you probably shouldn't like that fact unless you're looking for reasons to bash the game. You should be disappointed with that fact like the rest of us. The glee with which you point out the flaws is what's distasteful.

The standard cars are bad looking, not just compared to the premium cars, but also to cars in other racing games. Forza 3 may only have 400+, but all of them look spot-on and have cock-pit views. Karts suffer the most from pixely shadows. You call the rain effects cool, I call them obsolete - PGR4 already did them one hell of a lot better, and that was a whopping 3 years ago.

While I'm not in love with PS2 car models or low res alpha effects (which is really the main problem, though it manifests itself in the shadows, rain, and on decals of the standard cars), you're comparing GT against the best aspects from several games. If rain and snow was a piece of cake, how come it's not in more racers? You can easily and just as pointlessly pick fault in much the same way with any of the games you list. Yeah NFS looks pretty nice, but what's up with all those jaggies? Games X, Y, and Z did anti-aliasing much more effectively three years ago!

I think you'll notice when you play more that a lot of the criticisms don't matter. The standard cars don't look so shitty when you're not nose to tail with them. I honestly hadn't noticed any problems with the shadows whilst playing the game because you don't get a chance to gawk at them. Apparently even the framerate is going to be improved in an upcoming patch.

Actually, once the internet do dar thingy was fixed, there is actually quite a good game in there.

All i really want is the ability to pick a car for an event at the event stage rather than arsing around going back and forth to the garage.

The online mode is a god awful mess right now. There are hundreds of "lobbies" with 2 or 3 cars in, you have to hunt around to find a race to join rather than just roll up with a car and get directed to a race with 16 other similar cars. Which is just wank really. But there's enough SP stuff to keep me busy until that gets sorted.

oh and the Jazz, God in heaven the jazz i fucking annoying. Why can i have my own music in the race ... which i don't want anyway, i want to here the car noise. Yet cannot have my own music for the menus where a bit of School of seven bells would be aceness ? It must be a Japanese thing :sherlock:

But once you hit the track and are drifting an RX-7 through the corners at trail mountain, with i might add the Dual shock pad with no problems what so ever all you wheel nut evangelists, it's fucking ace. The pad works fine, you can put a car into a power slide easily and hold it through the long sweeping corners on the trigger throttles. I like to spank cars and heave them around sideways. It's far more fun, and you can do it once you've found the feel of each car. It still needs a practiced hand with the more meatier cars when they tend to power understeer, but you can dial it out with toe in and suspension setting changes.

It still has a bunch of edges that need a good rub. But it's probably not as bad as it would have seemed at first. But after 5 years it should have an Online mode as good as MW2 or NFS:shift shouldn't it. That's is pretty much unforgivable and thus still only climbs from a lowly 4/10 to 6/10. :bye::doh:<_<:coffee:

No, you probably shouldn't like that fact unless you're looking for reasons to bash the game. You should be disappointed with that fact like the rest of us. The glee with which you point out the flaws is what's distasteful.

I see your point there, but it's honestly not meant as bashing with a glee, just pointing it out and saying how disappointed I am. Does that feeling come across better like this? -> :(

Seriously, I had high expectations of this game like pretty much everyone, after all the promises and years of development time. Yes, the game looks gorgeous in a lot of situations, but when 8 out of 10 cars (among which are probably a lot of my favorites) look like PS2 models, I'm very disappointed.

Again, this is all in the visual department, won't judge the actual gameplay before I play it.

While I'm not in love with PS2 car models or low res alpha effects (which is really the main problem, though it manifests itself in the shadows, rain, and on decals of the standard cars), you're comparing GT against the best aspects from several games. If rain and snow was a piece of cake, how come it's not in more racers? You can easily and just as pointlessly pick fault in much the same way with any of the games you list. Yeah NFS looks pretty nice, but what's up with all those jaggies? Games X, Y, and Z did anti-aliasing much more effectively three years ago!

Another point taken. However, like I said, rain and snow were already done very well in PGR4, three years ago! Hence it baffles me why Forza 3 and DiRT 2 didn't have it already, too. It's nice that GT5 does have those effects, but then they're so poorly executed compared to PGR4.

All i really want is the ability to pick a car for an event at the event stage rather than arsing around going back and forth to the garage.

its already been said, just click on the garage option bottom right, and it lists the cars you own which are eligible. its not that hard.

finally given photo mode a try too.

autumnringminiu.th.jpgcircuitodemadrid.th.jpghighspeedringhs.th.jpgligegravel.th.jpg

Yes, but is there an option to buy a car you don't have from the racing menus? I think that's what bob meant. If you have it in the garage, yes you can choose it from the garage menu, but if you don't have that particular Classisc Japanese car from before '69 or whatever, you're going to have to go back and forth between shops and race menu. At least I couldn't find a way to easily browse shops for the car you need without faffing around. A shortcut to the shops with the cars that meet your race specifics tagged as <this car works for this race> would have been nice.

No you don't have to quit out. Pick the car and it'll return to the entry screen. Blew my first 100 large on the cheapest Ferrari and took it to the vintage Supercar race around Rome. Just breathtaking. All earlier doubts about the game have now evaporated. Online not withstanding

No you don't have to quit out. Pick the car and it'll return to the entry screen. Blew my first 100 large on the cheapest Ferrari and took it to the vintage Supercar race around Rome. Just breathtaking. All earlier doubts about the game have now evaporated. Online not withstanding

I see your point there, but it's honestly not meant as bashing with a glee, just pointing it out and saying how disappointed I am. Does that feeling come across better like this? -> :(

Seriously, I had high expectations of this game like pretty much everyone, after all the promises and years of development time. Yes, the game looks gorgeous in a lot of situations, but when 8 out of 10 cars (among which are probably a lot of my favorites) look like PS2 models, I'm very disappointed.

Again, this is all in the visual department, won't judge the actual gameplay before I play it.

Another point taken. However, like I said, rain and snow were already done very well in PGR4, three years ago! Hence it baffles me why Forza 3 and DiRT 2 didn't have it already, too. It's nice that GT5 does have those effects, but then they're so poorly executed compared to PGR4.

Well, because someting has to give Joe.

You've got like it or lump it. PGR is not running at this high a res, and the dashboards looked awful in that.

Its not just the cars either - theres flat tree's and people too in some races, and others arn't flat.

But the game already tears as is and adding 3D to minor objects would cause further slow downs.

Its annoying, but hey ho. The driving model is really nice and thats what counts. I'll happy take that as its a driving sim.

Its the same in all games -

Either lock the game to 30hz, lose tearing, and have lower res models and textures.

Go for 60hz with tearing at HD res, tearing, flat tree's, etc, etc.

Is has pop-up on certain track buildings too but overall...it still looks and play stunning.

I could moan that both Dirt2 and NFS HP are 30hz on the console...but whats the point?

You'd only retort with the same argument we're stating here.

yeah, sure, its a bit crap...but it still looks and fells better then any console driving game - flaws an all.

:)

It's probably just me, but who needs snow anyway? Sure, it was pretty in PGR4 and it was novel for a few races/challenges, but did anyone devote any serious time to driving on the snowy tracks? I certainly didn't.

Dynamic rain is a different matter altogether. The appeal of having to pit in the middle of a race to change tyres because the heavens have opened or the sun is drying a previously wet track speaks for itself.

I want developers to concentrate on the areas of a game that will be actually be used, rather than novelty options that just sit on a selection menu gathering dust and feeling sorry for themselves.

Unless I've completely misjudged things and snow is what every racer's been longing for.

Really really enjoying this now. The loading times are still a bit of a pain, but the driving is superb.

Took a slightly modified MX-5 to the FR Cup in beginner and had three fantastic races, beating Corvettes, M3's and Skylines. Amazing.

I redemed my codes for the Stealth cars from Play, which has just reinforced why the levelling system works - they are stupidly overpowered for the early events. The GTR is currently serving to give B-Spec Bob his first wins...

Regards to car models. Forza does many things right but car choice and models are bit one of them. 10 year old Zondas and the only Koenigsegg is a bloody CC8S! Been out so long even I can nearly afford one!

The models on Forza are weak sauce!

Wrong. The Zonda model has been around for 10 years, but there are three versions from over the years in Forza. Same with Koenigsegg, of which they've included three as well. Check the car list :)

GT5 is the game low on the newer models if you ask me. Where's the Ford Focus RS? Where's the Audi RS5? And the Aston Martin V12 Vantage? Those are the cars of today which I love and want to drive.

It's probably just me, but who needs snow anyway? Sure, it was pretty in PGR4 and it was novel for a few races/challenges, but did anyone devote any serious time to driving on the snowy tracks? I certainly didn't.

I can't say I enjoyed it as anything other than a brief novelty, but I had a friend over the other day who wanted to try the game out. He was kinda unsure about the game after being disappointed by most of the cars he liked being the standard models (he is a front wheel drive hatchback kinda guy), but he was absolutely chuffed caning a Swift around Charmonix in the snow. I guess because he's spent a plenty of time driving on snow in ill-equipped vehicles, at least for an Englander anyway.

I think there'll be a lot of people who have a similar experience with the game until they hit one thing they really like. There's certainly enough stuff in the game to support that! I personally had that happen to me during the AMG Driving School event.

so, i bought a Dodge charger to do the american muscle race in the amatuer series, but it keeps hitting the rev limiter at around 105mph, ive tried various upgrades but it still does it, even in a one make race the other cars fly by me with no trouble. any ideas?