IGNORED

The "worst changes in a sequel" thread

Eighthours

Adding shit loads of human baddies in The Suffering 2, including a helicopter gun battle part. Became so derivative.

Yes! that and just making the enemies much harder. And messing around with the inventory and health system, introducing the now clichéd '2 weapons' model. After getting killed over and over by standard enemies 2 or 3 times tougher than even the bosses in the first game, simply because there weren't any health packs nearby, I gave up in dismay.

Monkey Ball's already been mentioned, but fannying about with switches in Super Monkey Ball 2 was a right pain in the arse, and detracted from the wonderfully simplistic gameplay of the original.

Also: Super Monkey Ball on Wii is desperately missing a proper Monkey Baseball mini-game.

I don't like the entirely new gameplay of F-Zero GX.

Yep, that's what first came into my mind when I saw this topic. Admittedly a few of the problems I had with the handling were forced upon them by the GC controller (lack of the 'nudge' thingy because of the analogue shoulder buttons) but as a whole it's probably the most disappointing sequel I've ever played - no X cup? A crappy shop system? A 'story' mode?! Please. (Yes I do realise there was a ship creator thing but it was shite - why they couldn't incorporate the track creator from X on the 64DD I'll never know. )

There was more to the dumbing down of Oblivion than the levelling: in Morrowind, you could kill essential NPCs and you could sell quest items if you wanted.

Also, everything existed in the world from the very beginning, even the last boss, not needing to be spawned or triggered.

A guy i know lost the package you have to deliver at the very start to initiate the main quest, but he eventually finished the game anyway because he came across the items that are required to kill Dagoth Ur while exploring.

guitar hero II -> III

boss battles and power-ups?!? evidently, the game isn't about challenging your friends to a battle of skill anymore. "kicking my ass? ha! have a broken string!"

what a shame that neversoft is going to kill off the franchise in one powerchord motion.

COD2 -> COD3

yet another franchise that goes into cardiac arrest with a change of developers. a muddled mess of browns and grays in addition to still being buggy and full of lag (while playing on-line) after almost a year of being available. thank god infinity ward is back for COD4.

COD2 -> COD3

yet another franchise that goes into cardiac arrest with a change of developers. a muddled mess of browns and grays in addition to still being buggy and full of lag (while playing on-line) after almost a year of being available. thank god infinity ward is back for COD4.

Good point, another thing about COD3 single player:

The interactive fight with German bits were very obviously tacked on and broke the mood of the level considerably as each one seemed to have a noticeable delay where the gameplay stopped and the button-smacking began. Total waste of time.

There were to many muddly cut-scenes in it - when something in the in-game engine such as in the second game would have done just as well.

Halo 2 - same great gameplay, but the story has left me less than excited to find out how the fight is finished. And would it have been that hard to subtitle the Covenant languages rather than bunging them a copy of Rosetta Stone English edition and further diluting any real menace they had?

another one that comes to mind is the two character thing in double dash, it was a nice idea but I felt was a little pointless.. **thank ninti they've gone back to single character karts in the the wii version""

The two characters makes it a great game - matching characters to shells etc is a great gameplay dynamic. Its STILL the perfect multiplayer racing game.

Halo 2 - EVERYTHING!!!

Story, weapons, the way Elites spoke English, the graphics... everything!

To be fair, the English thing was to help people understand what the AI was doing, and a good thing, I dunno how you could argue otherwise.

guitar hero II -> III

boss battles and power-ups?!? evidently, the game isn't about challenging your friends to a battle of skill anymore. "kicking my ass? ha! have a broken string!"

what a shame that neversoft is going to kill off the franchise in one powerchord motion.

I didn't know about that until just now:

:wub:

Idiots.

To be fair, the English thing was to help people understand what the AI was doing, and a good thing, I dunno how you could argue otherwise.

I never found I needed to know what the enemy AI was doing. Is this seriously the reason for the change?

I hated it the most about Halo 2 because it 'broke' the cohesion of the Halo universe. It's like when Klingons went from looking like Japanese to monsters for No Reason At All .

Plus the Elite language sounded sweet as. Wort wort wort!

Every 'Mana' game since Secret of Mana on the SNES. How have they managed to take a game that was so right and turn it into a series that is just so wrong. :wub:

Actually this is also a really good reason why Square should never make a followup to chrono trigger.