New UNKLE album

moosegrinder

Anyway, I can't really see how (as a lot of people on the thread have been suggesting) Lavelle's music is bland. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that you're all wrong, just it would be nice to hear some recommendations for breaks/trip-hop/UNKLE-esque music which isn't, well, quite so bland... ;)

DJ Shadow's "solo" stuff is all you need. He's the true genius behind the ONLY good UNKLE album, Psyence Fiction. Lavelle just made the tea. Then Shadow wisely jumped ship. Lavelle must make pretty shit tea. He probably adds obvious Apocalypse Now dialogue where Shadow would have preferred sweet sweet sugar.

I dunno, I actually prefer Never Never Land to Psyence Fiction, although I admittedly completely caned Psyence back when it came out and I'm probably just sick of it.

Never Never Land is a great album, though - Eye for an Eye is a thunderous, epic tune, and Awake the Unkind is sinister, yet wistful. Winistful, if you will.

Psyence Fiction is hilariously overrated. Both Shadow and UNKLE have done better with subsequent efforts.

Never Never Land is a great album, though - Eye for an Eye is a thunderous, epic tune, and Awake the Unkind is sinister, yet wistful. Winistful, if you will.

How can you mention Never Never Land without the simply awesome Reign! One of the best damn songs evar I reckon. Safe In Mind is aceness, too.

Endtroducing is one of my all time favourite albums, but is his other stuff worth bothering with? Didn't think much of what I heard of his recent album.

Private Press was a damn fine album. Don't bother with his latest though, The Outsider. It is bollocks.

Endtroducing is one of my all time favourite albums, but is his other stuff worth bothering with? Didn't think much of what I heard of his recent album.

His last album was a major departure for him on first listen, but if you stuck with it you still got a certain Shadowy atmosphere. The trouble is, he's gathered too many banana milkshake-sipping bedwetters as fans from his association with the likes of James Lavelle, so I think the majority of listeners were intimidated by the presence of black dudes shouting loads of hype shit all over it. The fact that you freely use the term "trip-hop" without even a hint of blushing would suggest that the power of The Outsider would be lost on you too, unfortunately :unsure:

But I thought his second album Private Press was great. It was a bit like Endtroducing, but with more of an electronic sort of sound. A few sections were pretty experimental but it eventually clicked with me.

A more constructive recommendation from me for you to check out, Mr Coatnoize, would be the Japanese artist, DJ Krush. He's got a fuckload of albums, though, so it's a bit of a daunting task getting into him. Definitely start with his mix CD, Code 4109:

41GE7YBTY4L._AA240_.jpg

Sometimes when I listen I become convinced that it's theeee finest set I've heard. It's hypnotic like that. is it dance music? Is it hip-hop? Some people would probably call it trip-hop. I dunno. It's its own thing. It's like MYSTICO-HOP if you ask me. It sounds like being on fire, underwater.

Like I say, that mix is a good primer. I've yet to hear a Krush solo record that's as essential as his Code 4109 set. The strange thing about that mix, though, is that he takes the 20-odd songs and melds them all into his own epic track. I've heard lots of the tracks on their own, removed from the context of his mix, and they just sound totally different. He's flavoured it all up with little scratched-in flourishes of Japanese flutes and the like.

A more constructive recommendation from me for you to check out, Mr Coatnoize, would be the Japanese artist, DJ Krush. He's got a fuckload of albums, though, so it's a bit of a daunting task getting into him. Definitely start with his mix CD, Code 4109:

41GE7YBTY4L._AA240_.jpg

Sometimes when I listen I become convinced that it's theeee finest set I've heard. It's hypnotic like that. is it dance music? Is it hip-hop? Some people would probably call it trip-hop. I dunno. It's its own thing. It's like MYSTICO-HOP if you ask me. It sounds like being on fire, underwater.

Absolutely solid mix that, there ain't a month that goes by when doesn't get at least one rotation on my walkman.

I'd also recommend Dj Krush's album Zen. Some think it's a bit hit and miss but I think its pretty dope. It also has the fucking animal track Vision of Art with company flow (well, it's just El-p but it's credit as company flow).

His last album was a major departure for him on first listen, but if you stuck with it you still got a certain Shadowy atmosphere. The trouble is, he's gathered too many banana milkshake-sipping bedwetters as fans from his association with the likes of James Lavelle, so I think the majority of listeners were intimidated by the presence of black dudes shouting loads of hype shit all over it. The fact that you freely use the term "trip-hop" without even a hint of blushing would suggest that the power of The Outsider would be lost on you too, unfortunately :wub:

I blush all the time when people ask what music I like. I have actually no idea what to call different dance/electronic genres, if I say dance/electronic they're probably thinking that I'm into some poppy Euro-dance shit and if I say breaks/trip-hop/whatever they usually look at me like the pretentious bastard I am.

Anyway, cheers for the recommendation I will be sure to hunt that one down. I have been meaning to get Private Press for a while now as 'You can't go home again' was one of the first Shadow tunes I listened to, and loved, naturally.

His last album was a major departure for him on first listen, but if you stuck with it you still got a certain Shadowy atmosphere. The trouble is, he's gathered too many banana milkshake-sipping bedwetters as fans from his association with the likes of James Lavelle, so I think the majority of listeners were intimidated by the presence of black dudes shouting loads of hype shit all over it.

There are tracks on there that sound EXACTLY like fucking Coldplay! I try to give it a chance occaisionally and just end up playing Three Freaks and Enuff (is that right? The Q-Tip one) and move on. He has however, so much good stuff in the bank that he can do anything now and I'll still love him. Him and Amon Tobin literally changed my musical life at about the same time in the 90s. Two genuinely great proper albums, Pre-Emptive Strike which I really like too, and the first two mixes with Cut Chemist, particularly Brainfreeze.

There are tracks on there that sound EXACTLY like fucking Coldplay! I try to give it a chance occaisionally and just end up playing Three Freaks and Enuff (is that right? The Q-Tip one) and move on.

It maybe passed you by each time you listened, but do yourself a favour and pay particular attention to the Hurricane Katrina-inspired David Banner collabortaion, 'Seeing Thangs.' A big dirty synthed-out monster of a track on surface, but dig deeper and it's actually very gothic and spooky. I think it's up there with Shadow's best songs, personally. My hair stands on end when it comes on.

Also, you can't beat that fresh breezy bit of soul on the first song 'This Time I'm Gonna Try It My Way' with The Heliocentrics. And the 'Triplicate' songs are nice, too. They sound like something right off The Private Press.

From Amazon...

DJ Krush - Code 4109: '4 used & new available from £34.98.' ;)

I guess it's not just you guys that rate him then!

What? Maybe I should dig out my copy and flog it then. I never realised it was sought after. Seems weird that any CD would be that expensive in the age of the download.

• 2 months later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7432104.stm

BBC chooses Unkle for Euro 2008

Dance group [snigger] Unkle's version of a Mozart symphony has been chosen as the theme for BBC Sport's coverage of Euro 2008.

The interpretation of Symphony no. 41 will be illustrated by an animated title sequence produced by the BBC with Aardman Animations.

The choice of Mozart reflects the fact the event, which begins on 7 June, is being staged in Switzerland and the composer's birthplace of Austria.

ITV Sport is also using a Mozart composition for its coverage.

It will be using a recording of Queen Of The Night performed by soprano Natasha Marsh.

BBC Sport's opening sequence will feature animated versions of players from the English Premier League, including Christiano Ronaldo, Michael Ballack, William Gallas and Fernando Torres.

Founded in 1994 by school friends James Lavelle and Tim Goldsworthy, Unkle have collaborated with bands like Radiohead, Badly Drawn Boy and The Verve.

The group [snigger] are currently in the middle of a UK tour.

Private Press was a damn fine album. Don't bother with his latest though, The Outsider. It is bollocks.

The outsider is sweet, though mainly for the hip hop stuff rather than the more traditional shadow material.