New UNKLE album

moosegrinder

Fucking loved Psyence Fiction but found Nver Never Land quite average.

Don't have high hopes for this but I'd loved to be proved wrong.

It seems without Dj Shadow James is, musically, fucked.

Loved the first album and still listen to it quite regularly. The second album was a bit Meh though although it had its moments. I'll probably get round to buying this at some point as I'm intrigued but I'm not holding out a huge amount of hope to be honest.

Fucking loved Psyence Fiction but found Nver Never Land quite average.

Don't have high hopes for this but I'd loved to be proved wrong.

highest of fives. I've not even been that bothered about the new album. I love James DJing other stuff and remixing but his own stuff is a bit weak. Saying that Shadows new stuff is just as pish.

I cannot believe noone else has listened to this. I'm gonna have to 'borrow' it, aren't i.

To save you 'borrowing' the album, you can stream the entire thing here. Not really doing much for me it has to be said.

I thought NNL was an excellent album - 'Eye for an Eye' and 'Awake the Unkind' are up there with anything from Psyence Fiction. It's just the lack of DJ Shadow and the fact that James Lavelle comes across as a complete cock in interviews that makes people slag it off so much, IMO.

Having said that, I heard the single off the new album and thought it was properly rubbish. A lot of stuff JL produces is too 'busy' - there are far too many ideas and things going on, and it just drowns out the actual song - and the new UNKLE single exemplifies that. I'll probably pick up the album tomorrow, though.

I tried that for ages, and it did nothing. Eventually, someone in my office asked what I was doing, and we got it open using a letter opener and a ruler. It took about ten minutes.

It's well-produced, I guess, and it all sounds like a coherent, well put together album - but it's not very exciting, is it? It's just a dirge-a-thon. I quite like the first couple of tracks.

Psyence Fiction is still my favourite, just because of the messy, lo-fi ness of it all.

I gave it a listen last night and it was just dull, as you say. There are a couple of tracks I liked (can't remember which ones) but it all just sort of blends into one. There's nothing that grabs you like 'Eye for an Eye' or 'Guns Blazing'.

It's a lot more upbeat, dancy and even... *gasp* poppy than Never Never Land. That's not necessarily a bad thing. The darker songs are still great. ‘Chemistry’ is excellent.

I sometimes do think I’m listening to a new Moby album though. A 'good', rockier Moby album.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this up today and after a first listen i'm impressed. There is a lot of Desert Sessions type people on it (Josh Homme, Dave Catching, Chris Goss) and all the better for it in my opinion. Quite different to the previous two albums, but still undeniably UNKLE.

Anyone have the special edition version? I may have to get a torrent of it for the instrumental versions.

lets hear some praise for UNKLE!

• 7 months later...

I picked this up about 4 months ago and thought it was excellent, probably my favourite album of last year. Better than Never Never Land for me. The flow of the album is perfect and love the rocky-dirgey feel.

Having said that...I only picked up Psyence Fiction last week and my mp3 player decided to cock up royally after only one listen. I haven't had chance to move my Hi-Fi into the missus' yet so its my only way of listening to it. So you could say I'm kinda inexperienced with their work. Got into them after hearing Lavelle's GU Romania CD, which is still one of my favourite - if not the favourite - mix I've heard.

Did Jim even do anything on that record? Other than encourage some of the guests to come along and some breathing at the end of the Badly Drawn Boy track?

Psyence Fiction's pretty good even now as long as you skip the Ashcroft one, but everything before and after is so different and so utterly bland I can't accept it as anything other than a Josh Davis and Guests album. I remember years ago Lavelle reviewed a Fun Lovin' Criminals single for a magazine and called it 'like the kind of rap music they play in Next' - a little ironic considering his current output is the kind of safe, nondescript aural wallpaper I expect to hear in large chain stores.

Good Fabric mix though. Whoever did that for him.

I remember years ago Lavelle reviewed a Fun Lovin' Criminals single for a magazine and called it 'like the kind of rap music they play in Next' - a little ironic considering his current output is the kind of safe, nondescript aural wallpaper I expect to hear in large chain stores.

Has anyone else noticed that quite a few tracks off War Stories are being used in TV trailer links across the BBC and Sky channels? Come to think of it, quite a few tracks off Never Never Land have been used on ads too.

Tried to listen to Psyence Fiction again last night, but the accursed mp3 died after 'Lonely Soul'. Enjoyed what I heard though.

Anyway, I can't really see how (as a lot of people on the thread have been suggesting) Lavelle's music is bland. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that you're all wrong, just it would be nice to hear some recommendations for breaks/trip-hop/UNKLE-esque music which isn't, well, quite so bland... :blink: