IGNORED

The Championship - Official Dressing Room

SaintM

Championship play-offs!

Semi-final #2: FC Porko v ASM FC

Fiorentina 0-2 Tottenham

After a false start (lost connection at 0-0 after 30 minutes) Spurs were out of the blocks without hesitation, Fiorentina lost possesion from a throw in in their own half and Berbatov set Keane through whose shot Frey could only palm into the net. Spurs maintained pressure and the second soon followed via a Tainio volley which flew into the top corner. Fiorentina offered little in reply and the remainder of the first half was one way traffic which perhaps should have seen Spurs extend their lead through Berbatov and Keane, however only two goals seperated the sides at half time.

1 shot off target was all that Fiorentina had to show for their first half efforts and ASM spent a good length of time in the dressing room re-structuring their approach. There was an immediate effect as the second half saw chance after chance fall for the Italian side, most notably Martin Jorgenson's screaming effort which Robinson had to be at his very best to palm around the post. Newly-introduced substitute Reginaldo joined Toni up front and was causing Spurs' defence no end of trouble with his pace and strength, but critically his finishing was found wanting. Spurs' second half efforts were far less honourable, the weary legs were collecting cards all over the pitch as they strived in vain to create any further chances of note. As the final whistle went, it was the English side who took the lead, but the Italians the most encouragement, into the second leg.

Tottenham 3-2 Fiorentina

The return leg was a great encounter, in which both sides were on top of their game for the full 90 minutes. The game opened with a succession of corners for Tottenham, and two goal-line clearances; indeed the clock was at 10 minutes before this first attack petered out as Defoe was caught offside when stretching Frey in the Fiorentina goal. At the other end the Spurs defenders were struggling to contain Toni, who was the target of a succession of crosses from both sides of the pitch and had two efforts headed narrowly over. Then a quick counter raid found Berbatov alone in the middle to send Tottenham into a seemingly unassailable 3-0 aggregate lead. Fiorentina hit back stronger then ever and got on the scoresheet as Jorgenson powered through the centre and saw his shot fumbled into the net by Robinson. Just as the comeback was on though, Spurs scored their second of the night, Berbatov squaring for Tainio to restore the home side's cushion.

In the second half La Viola excerted some terrotorial pressure which culminated in a Toni header striking the crossbar but they had to rely on a howler from Robinson to get them back into the tie. England's number one attempted to receive a backpass in a manner resembling a labrador trying to chase a tennis ball, and Reginaldo was there to pick up the pieces and leave Fiorentina 2 goals away from the final. The next goal was always likely to be crucial and so it proved to be, Tottenham found some joy down the left with Robbie Keane whose cross was met by a bullett header from Berbatov and Spurs were on their way to the play-off final.

Cheers for the games ASM, I've enjoyed our encounters this season as you seem to offer a different tactical challenge to most other players with your emphasis on retaining possession and building up play down the wings. All the best for next season, and I'm sure you'll be there or there abouts in the bid for promotion again.

So Benito it is in the Championship play-off final, the most lucrative prize in PES football awaits the winner :(. I'm off for the weekend so won't be able to play our game until Monday night at the earliest, let me know when you can make it next week.

Crikey. Here we are.

I made my last ascent to the Premiership via a play-off final, in which my Roma team rode their luck a little and hammered Lyon.

This time I am Lyon.

Gulp.

Monday should be good, but I will double check and get back to you.

Fiorentina 0-2 Tottenham

Tottenham 3-2 Fiorentina

Confirmed

Cheers for the games porko, your match reports are spot on, two excellent games to finish off the season.

Good luck in the play off final.

Really enjoyed this season, but I'm glad to see the back of this version of Pro Evo. Hopefully next season won't get interrupted again for me, buy my xbox giving up the ghost. I had to borrow one of a mate to play my play off games.

Congratulations to Donnie, and Mike, and thanks again Mike for your hard work on the leagues and the web site.

:wub: As the lucozade and paracetemol haze is now clearing, Lyon will soon be ready!

When is good for you, Porks? Tomorrow evening would be grand for me.

Yes tonight is fine for me, dubious mystery illnesses permitting :( Shall we say 8pm?

Lyon 0 - 3 Spurs

I had been looking forward to this all day and it was a bit of an anti-climax in the end! It was one of those games where it just feels like PES is against you. Countless passes just went nowhere. Very annoying and I couldn't string anything together. When I did get into a decent crossing position it was fired out or fired into the first defender and Lyon barely threatened. Was one nil until quite late and Lyon were then denied what seemed a blatent penalty before Spurs took the ball up the other end and, inevitably it felt, scored. A suitably crap fumble by the goal keeper from a weak long range shot led to the third. It really felt like the game was against me today.

That said, Porko did what he needed to do and banged away three of his numerous chances. Well played mate and good luck in the premiership next season. You defo deserved it over the course of the season and I'm just disappointed that I couldn't give you more of a game this evening!!

Thank Fuck that's the last PES6 league game I will ever have to play! PES 2008 is bound to be great! :D

Lyon 0 - 3 Spurs

I had been looking forward to this all day and it was a bit of an anti-climax in the end! It was one of those games where it just feels like PES is against you. Countless passes just went nowhere. Very annoying and I couldn't string anything together. When I did get into a decent crossing position it was fired out or fired into the first defender and Lyon barely threatened. Was one nil until quite late and Lyon were then denied what seemed a blatent penalty before Spurs took the ball up the other end and, inevitably it felt, scored. A suitably crap fumble by the goal keeper from a weak long range shot led to the third. It really felt like the game was against me today.

That said, Porko did what he needed to do and banged away three of his numerous chances. Well played mate and good luck in the premiership next season. You defo deserved it over the course of the season and I'm just disappointed that I couldn't give you more of a game this evening!!

Thank Fuck that's the last PES6 league game I will ever have to play! PES 2008 is bound to be great! wink.gif

Not such an anti-climax for the white side of North London who will be celebrating long into the night!

_42659775_fans_ap300.jpg

_42334603_footy11.jpg

I felt like I had a lot of attacking play but was never that comfortable until the second went in. I could feel your frustrations going forward, you'd have to wonder whether Anthony Gardner would be able to keep Carew in his pocket against a succession of crosses in reality. Still, this Tottenham team certainly got better as the season wore on and did very well going forward against a strongly regimented Lyon back line. It'll be a shame to let Spurs go next season, they've been great fun to play as and they've got some players whose ability belies their poor stats, Tainio in particular I'd pick as a favourite.

So, the Premiership it is and the days of high magnitude defeats await. Ah well, first pick of team will hopefully ensure that the relegation dogfight I bring to the Nou Camp / Old Trafford / wherever will offer great entertainment :D