IGNORED

The Championship - Official Dressing Room

SaintM

;)

That'll be two non-speakers in a row.

Funnily enough, I was all ready to speak to you last night as I realised we'd played each other LOADS but never spoken, but there was no mic icon when you came in and so I didn't plug mine in! Next time!

Probably glad I didn't, though, as I was not happy when that stupid penalty happened! ;)

I didn't bother plugging it in as you've never talked before!

I find the game about 5 times more annoying without the comms, mainly because I can't really laugh off the annoyances. Then again, I do end up in a proper rant when the bad passing etc starts to pile up.

It is indeed looking pretty tight at the top! I think petrolgirls will make up some ground when he plays his games as his a top player. Good to see me keeping the top goal difference in the league. I don't want any more defensive talk surrounding my name in the future!

Congrats on the cup win, saintM. What was this formation that you used against him then?

Toon 1 - 1 Spurs

Spurs 2 - 1 Toon

A first game that saw Newcastle dominate the majority of the play but once again failing to capitalise. A 2nd minute goal for Spurs caught the Geordies on the back foot. Determined to get something back, they threw everything into attack and soon equalised. A siege on the Tottenham goal for long periods paid no rewards however, as the Toon manager became increasingly frustrated by the inch wide attempts on goal.

In the return game, Newcastle began where they left off and soon had a one goal advantage. This seemed to spark the Tottenham midfield into action and the home team enjoyed some good periods of possession. The equaliser came and everything looked set for a share of the points until a goal for the shandy drinkin' southerners in the 80somethin' minute saw them take the points.

obafemimartins5.jpg

Another shots goes inches wide.

I need to score! What am I doing wrong???? Owen, Martins, Parker, Duff etc. etc. shouldn't be missing the goal from 10 yards out! Freakin' game ;)

Good speaking with you Poko - I can't believe we haven't played before. Good luck with the league and enjoy your holiday B)

I'm away from Saturday until Saturday next week, so I'll catch up with my games when I return. A few draws would be nice whilst I'm away ;)

Results from tonights matches:

Fulham 0 - 3 Villareal

Despite a pretty even match with both sides having equal chances, Villareal made the most of it, scoring 3 goals within a spell of 20 minutes. Fulham were on the back foot and their defence at home continued to be a shambles as they conceded yet more goals, resulting in their worst season ever. Fulham had at least half a dozen corners yet were unable to find the back of the net. Riquelme and Forlan were dangerous against Fulham and on this occasion, were formidable.

Villareal 1- 2 Fulham

It looked like another doom and gloom match for Fulham as Villareal managed to net one in before the break. They enjoyed more of the possession and always looked to threaten. In the second half Fulham managed to capitalise on defensive lapses by Villareal - the first goal coming from off of a defender in the box from a cross in, only to find the foot of a Fulham player who didn't have any problems missing from a few yards out. Fulham's second came from an in swinger from a corner and was headed in by the forward John in somewhat clinical fashion. Villareal struggled through the second half and despite hitting the woodwork, ended up having a terrible night that they'd rather forget. On the other hand, Fulham could breathe a sigh of relief having managed to get 3 points after at least a 3 match drought which saw them concede more than 10 goals.

At least Pootle can rest easy tonight, knowing that his position of Manager is safe.... for now. But for how long is anyone's guess!

CFTG's Mike and all the best with the rest of the league!

Poots.

Toon 1 - 1 Spurs

Spurs 2 - 1 Toon

A first game that saw Newcastle dominate the majority of the play but once again failing to capitalise. A 2nd minute goal for Spurs caught the Geordies on the back foot. Determined to get something back, they threw everything into attack and soon equalised. A siege on the Tottenham goal for long periods paid no rewards however, as the Toon manager became increasingly frustrated by the inch wide attempts on goal.

In the return game, Newcastle began where they left off and soon had a one goal advantage. This seemed to spark the Tottenham midfield into action and the home team enjoyed some good periods of possession. The equaliser came and everything looked set for a share of the points until a goal for the shandy drinkin' southerners in the 80somethin' minute saw them take the points.

obafemimartins5.jpg

Another shots goes inches wide.

I need to score! What am I doing wrong???? Owen, Martins, Parker, Duff etc. etc. shouldn't be missing the goal from 10 yards out! Freakin' game :lol:

Good speaking with you Poko - I can't believe we haven't played before. Good luck with the league and enjoy your holiday B)

I'm away from Saturday until Saturday next week, so I'll catch up with my games when I return. A few draws would be nice whilst I'm away :(

These were two very tight matches, which I felt Newcastle slightly edged in terms of attacking chances, so I was very grateful to come away with 4 points. It was crazy the way Martins in particular managed to unerringly shoot an exact six inches from the goal frame on what must have been a dozen occasions. Your general play was very good and with some more lethal finishing you could really challenge for the title. Cheers for the games.

Looking at the league table, the uneven amount of football for each side has meant half the league is in with a really good shout of claiming superiority. Villareal are top, although Spurs have a game in hand which could see them overtaken. However 2 wins from their games in hand would see PSV at the summit, unless Fiorentina pick up 7 or more points from their 3 matches to play. These sums are of course given with the caveat that a good run of form for Roma during their fixture backlog could see them leapfrog the rest of divsion from a current place of 6th to lead the pack after 10 matches.

So thanks to the QA issues at Microsoft we're left with a Wacky Races style championship race. Who said the increasing pile of defunct 360's was necessarily a bad thing? ;)

10.gifPootle 0 - 3 SaintM 116.gif

Riquelme 14

Pires 30

Forlan 74

Home   Away
Shots 14(8) 13(8)
Pens 0 0
FK 6 3
CK 4 1
FLS 3(0) 6(3)
Ylw 0 1
Red 0 0
Pos 47 53

Summary:

A pretty close match, despite the scoreline.

116.gifSaintM 1 - 2 Pootle 10.gif

Forlan 31

Home   Away
Shots 14(9) 9(4)
Pens 0 0
FK 4 4
CK 2 0
FLS 4(1) 4(1)
Ylw 0 0
Red 0 0
Pos 54 46

Summary:

:unsure:

Top goal scorers:

Forlan: 11

Riquelme 7

Nihat 3

Pires 1

Sorin 1

Own goal 1

Picture summary:

_41577882_juan_ap.jpg

Ta for the games mate.

Lyon 3 - 2 Fulham

Fulham 2 - 5 Lyon

Well...six points. Ahem. Feel a little fortunate to have got all six, as the games were both very tight and could have gone either way.

Same old story for Lyon as they looked dangerous going forward but utterly woeful in defence. Wiltord was superb in both, though, and his pace certainly caused problems. Lyon also dominated corners and I think 3 or 4 goals were headers from corners.

McBride, I think it was, scored an absolute belter in one of the games!

Cheers for the games!

Wiltord_45010e.jpg

CFTG's Benito.

I personally felt I should have got something from those games as I played out of my skin and had plenty of opportunity. But, with both matches it seems that the final 20 mins of the match (that is 70" on) I tend to faulter for no apparent reason (or my guys just get knackered).

The first match I got off of the starting blocks first, managing to net one in, only for you to come back and level it at 1-1. Then I took the lead again only for you to peg me back to 2-2. Shortly after which in the 72" or something you scored from a woeful lapse in defence.

The second match again started like the first - fast, punchy and fun. I went up 1-0 only for you to score 2 and take the lead. Then at the break I pegged another back till the 73" min or so when all of a sudden the game decided to go against me and you put 3 past me in 20 mins. I'm still finding it hard to see how or why really considering overall we had even chances and I didn't think I played too bad at all.

Anyways I knew that this was going to be a tough period of the season with a half dozen string of tough matches. I was fortunate to get something out of the game against SaintM but I felt I should have got so much more from this.

Poots out.

logo.gif

The Championship mid-season review

Main contenders

116.gifSaintM - came up as champ of league one. Prone to wild mood swings.

19.gifPorko - yet to play donnie, but can definitely challenge for the title.

90.gifdonnie darko - a good GD is helping his cause. Probably the strongest contender.

Outside bet

Harbey - 2nd best GD in the league but on a bit of a dodgy run of form. Still plenty of time to break into the contenders.

ASM - got plenty of games in hand, but needs to convert them to points to make it count. Pitch-side flooding has delayed his progress somewhat.

Destined for the drop?

Mortis - 6 games and only a point to show for it.

skajess - a single win in 4 matches and a flooded pitch. Should be safe if past form is an indicator.

Unknown quantity

tomox - new to the league and currently struggling.

Honest Pete's Pick

_39940783_bookie_203.jpg

"Villarreal are top, but a lot rides on PSV's next games. If they go top, expect 'em to stay there."

Played Mortis tonight.

1st game

Deportivo 2 - 2 Sevilla

Great game this one. Lots of chances, poor finishing by certain players. An open goal missed by both teams. Sevilla made it 2-1 in the 89th minute only for Deportivo to score a quick and deserved equaliser. Adriano was at fault for both the Deportivo goals, my gran could of done better, fact!

2nd game

Sevilla 4 - 3 Deportivo

Game of the season so far. Chances galore for both teams. The strikers had a much better day in this game, the defences on the other hand were very poor. Chevanton and Kanoute both chipped in with 2 apiece for Sevilla.

Cheers for the games Mortis, I feel I was lucky to win the second one. Good luck for the rest of the season mate!

An up and down start for Stevens

Sevilla manager, Tom Stevens, has experienced many aspects of being a club manager during his 6 games in charge so far. The pressure was on from the beginning as Sevilla lost both their opening fixtures to Fiorentina. Their next matched against Newcastle were better, with Sevilla getting a contraversial win in the second game. Sevilla's most recent matches against Deportivo have proved a turning point. Sevilla took 4 points from the games, moving them onto 7 points from the first 6 games.

"If you had offered me 7 points at this stage I would of taken it. We're a young team and were all still getting used to each other. My Spanish is improving week after week, mainly due to watch Fawlty Towers. I think the lads have picked up on a few English expressions too. 'Your shit Adriano!' seems to be one that everyone recognises now.

I've been very pleased with the attacking part of our team. The front 3 have all played well. The defence needs work. I'd love to bring in a new face or two, but the financial restrictions forbid me from doing so.

Im looking forward to our games this week. We've got a lot to catch up after moving training ground. Hopefully i'll be able to chat to you again after the next 6 games with a smile still on my face!"

Roma (petrolgirls) 12 - 1 Sevilla (Tomox02)

Don't know what happened here, Roma just kind of ran riot for 90 minutes. Had 30 shots, 20 or so on target including a cracking free kick. Effectively scored the goal at other end too. Madness.

Sevilla (Tomox02) 1 - 5 Roma (petrolgirls)

This was much tighter, 2-0 up at half time but with Sevilla having a handful of decent chances. Second half opened up a little with both sides having quite a few efforts, Roma just managed to convert more of them.

Sorry about the lack of headphones Tomox, they've gone walkabout, I think my daughters eaten them. Thanks for the games, you were a little unfortunate, I just hit a bit of form going into this.

Yeah cheers mate. I had fun. I feel i've been quite lucky so far, I crashed and burned at the feet of Roma! Also not playing for 3 weeks has left me rather rusty!

Good luck mate, seems as if you should be near the business end of the table!

I dread to think what you typed into google to get that pic!

Me and ASM's deadline is today but obviously he is waiting for his 360 to get fixed.

I got my xbox back on Friday, given it a few hours on Bioshock so far and it is working properly.

Are you about to play our games tomorrow?