rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
northy

Wii Fit + Wii Fit Plus

I'd consider myself a traditional gamer - but I'll get WiiFit... There's a good chance I'll snap up Scene It! on the 360 and Singstar 80s is still used at mine when we have a party...

Ok therearerules, seeing as you think it's an acceptable distiction, what is a "Traditional" gamer?

Someone who owns a gaming console/pc and reguarly plays games. As opposed to people who bought a Wii or DS because you can improve your brain and play tennis as though it's tennis.

Well instead of just saying "It's obvious", let's try to define it. I don't think it is so obvious, or there wouldn't be so much of this kind of debate going on.

People who were actively interested in games before the advent of more casual experiences such as Singstar, Brain Training and Wii Sports.

Someone who owns a gaming console/pc and reguarly plays games. As opposed to people who bought a Wii or DS because you can improve your brain and play tennis as though it's tennis.

Ok, so someone interested in videogames for their own sake, i.e. "because they're videogames, and well, that's what I like".

Fair enough.

Why though, is Wii Fit not aimed at them?

So they bought a console and now play games? Does that not make them a traditional gamer then? :lol:

Why though, is Wii Fit not aimed at them?

Why are you even arguing about this? Wii Fit is, unquestionably, aimed at the larger, previously non-gaming audience that they've been courting since the DS was released.

Obviously this will overlap into traditional gamers because it is still a game, but that doesn't mean it's aimed at them.

Nobody is saying this is a bad thing, and the only people who seem to be upset are the internet idiots who are distraught about something as casual as an interactive fitness game invading their precious gaming event at the expense of the Kid Icarus game they've dreamt up. I wonder if they were as upset about Singstore being shown at the Sony conferences.

Isn't there a slight chance that Nintendo may be trying to gather more people into gaming, and I don't mean that in a 'train your brain' or 'keep fit' only sense.

I mean currently, they're targeting their sights on a fickle market, one that will just and easily turn their attention to something else, perhaps they're trying to gradually convince more and more people to play the sorts of games that we're more used to. They have to do this or their expanded market is going to just go back to the way they were a few years from now.

Quick tricks (and I don't completely meant to trim down the accomplishments of Wii Sports, Brain Training and Wii Fit down to just that) are only going work on people for so long.

Perhaps that's got nothing to do with the idea of dumbing down the games market, perhaps its more to do with making inexperienced non-gamers change the way they percieve games as entertainment, so get more people playing traditional gaming titles.

I'm already seeing this in motion in small amounts, its easy to feel a bit left behind in all this, but I suppose its about the bigger picture. I'll stop going on about what you all already know.

Ok, so someone interested in videogames for their own sake, i.e. "because they're videogames, and well, that's what I like".

Fair enough.

Why though, is Wii Fit not aimed at them.

Because the gaming experience is secondary to it's use as a piece of lifestyle equpiment. The reason people play it isn't to play it but to get fit, and if you had absolutely no interest in using it to get fit you wouldn't play it because it's essentially a tool, albeit in gaming form.

Of course I'm basing this on what we've seen, if it turns out to have an amazingly fun surfing game then it would be aimed at gamers too.

I think we're getting far too hung up on categorising "gamers" here. It's bloody obvious that Wii Fit is targetting a different set of people than say Halo 3 or Mario Galaxy, but then so what? What are we arguing about?

I think we're getting far too hung up on categorising "gamers" here. It's bloody obvious that Wii Fit is targetting a different set of people than say Halo 3 or Mario Galaxy, but then so what? What are we arguing about?

spilt milk

Debating MID, not arguing. I'm sitting at home in my shorts, having a nice cup of tea and wondering if I can get away with a bit of Separate Ways when I should be writing someone's appraisal, so I'm not really in an arguing mood.

I just think there is a lot of head scratching and confusion over Nintendo's approach amongst gamers at the moment, and I'm interested in looking at why. I mean, this type of debate opens up every time they announce something new, or the sales figures get released. People just find it weirdly upsetting and confusing that they're doing so well with something so populist. You're right though , it's probably not even worthy of debate, as most of us should be able to just dismiss the more rabid "NINtiNDO has 4saken us gamerz!" comments, but it just makes me think something major needs to change in terms of attitude.

Isn't there a slight chance that Nintendo may be trying to gather more people into gaming, and I don't mean that in a 'train your brain' or 'keep fit' only sense.

They are absolutely doing that. Look at the Japanese adverts for Phantom Hourglass. They are very obviously aimed at the brain trainers. And the game's sales seem to indicate this approach is working. Previous non-gamers (and that's people outside of the tradional gamer demographic) are buying a 'proper game'.

A similar approach is being tried by EA with their semi-automated Fifa controls and it looks like Mario Kart is doing this too. No more "I keep hitting the sides!". I wonder how many gamers play Mario Kart mainly as a one player game because their wife\kids can't play it even though they are willing to have a go? Or is that just me?

I dont get it. We want the gaming scene to expand and become truly mainstream. This is the kinda shit that will do that. For the first time ever, im talkign about gaming at work with people who have never been associated with gaming. theyve got the wii and love the wii sports. I think it's great. I think some people have a mentality where they want gaming to be a niche market and dont want the mainstream to be involed, like a secret club or summat.

I wonder how many gamers play Mario Kart mainly as a one player game because their wife\kids can't play it even though they are willing to have a go? Or is that just me?

That's exactly it. Most people would probably admit to enjoying video games, but before now very few of those people would be able to sit down with any sort of confidence and have a go.

Debating MID, not arguing. I'm sitting at home in my shorts, having a nice cup of tea and wondering if I can get away with a bit of Separate Ways when I should be writing someone's appraisal, so I'm not really in an arguing mood.

I just think there is a lot of head scratching and confusion over Nintendo's approach amongst gamers at the moment, and I'm interested in looking at why. I mean, this type of debate opens up every time they announce something new, or the sales figures get released. People just find it weirdly upsetting and confusing that they're doing so well with something so populist. You're right though , it's probably not even worthy of debate, as most of us should be able to just dismiss the more rabid "NINtiNDO has 4saken us gamerz!" comments, but it just makes me think something major needs to change in terms of attitude.

Yes, but I would say on this forum (with very few exceptions) nobody think's they've forsaken us, and there would have been no debate if people accepted that the target market for these sorts of games aren't traditional gamers.

I think the entire thing arose when I was explaining why our (by which I mean gamers in general) opinions of the game didn't matter to nintendo, because it wasn't for us (by which I meant aimed at us). If say Bioshock got a similar reception of bewilderment, apathy and general dislike than that would be bad for the game because it's specifically aimed at us. But once we see there are two very different audiences it's easy to see why Nintendo has made these games how they are, and why our opinions are what they are.

I dont get it. We want the gaming scene to expand and become truly mainstream. This is the kinda shit that will do that. For the first time ever, im talkign about gaming at work with people who have never been associated with gaming. theyve got the wii and love the wii sports. I think it's great. I think some people have a mentality where they want gaming to be a niche market and dont want the mainstream to be involed, like a secret club or summat.

Who? Quote somebody (apart from Hitcher on page 1) who has expressed that opinion.

Exactly the point I was trying to make (well I think you're making the same point as me). Halo and Mario are niche, restricted in there market to a traditional audience. WiiFit is not. WiiFit will appeal to gamers just as much as non-gamers (whatever these terms are meant to mean, I don't think it is as obvious as some of you are trying to make out).

because this feels directly aimed at me

bdvdebut8.gif

It's just because there's an obvious overlap. Aiming it at the casual market doesn't mean that gamers like us won't be able to appreciate and enjoy it as well. I'll probably end up spending more time fucking about with this than I did with Gears of War and Crackdown combined.

I think some people have a mentality where they want gaming to be a niche market and dont want the mainstream to be involed, like a secret club or summat.

There's a sort of 'them and us' mentality about non-gamers at the moment. Yes people are going to be coming up to you at work, bragging about their new found skills at Wii Sports. The trick is to be adult about it, in recent days some people at this forum have reminded me of school kids fighting over their favourite toy. :lol:

I personally welcome the new people to chat and engage with irl.. even if it is a bit of simple banter.

Who? Quote somebody (apart from Hitcher on page 1) who has expressed that opinion.
Go and read the Nintendo conference thread from page 40.

Exactly the point I was trying to make (well I think you're making the same point as me). Halo and Mario are niche, restricted in there market to a traditional audience. WiiFit is not. WiiFit will appeal to gamers just as much as non-gamers (whatever these terms are meant to mean, I don't think it is as obvious as some of you are trying to make out).

You've used that distinction in your post and then claimed you don't know what it means! And whether or not traditional gamers use it doesn't influence who it is aimed at. If everyone you knew who wanted this owned a cat you wouldn't say it was aimed at cat owners, so when I said this isn't aimed at traditional gamers there was no need to disagree.

Go and read the Nintendo conference thread from page 40.

Why are people replying to one thread in another?

You've used that distinction in your post and then claimed you don't know what it means! And whether or not traditional gamers use it doesn't influence who it is aimed at. If everyone you knew who wanted this owned a cat you wouldn't say it was aimed at cat owners, so when I said this isn't aimed at traditional gamers there was no need to disagree.
Yes, I agree I don't know what the terms mean! I pointed out pretty early that I think the distinction is so pointless that it doesn't make sense. It's a new style of game (we agree on this, yes?) so how can it possibly be solely aimed at a old segment of the market? It's like saying a gun is not aimed at people that like knives. I believe that is aimed just as much as people that currently play games (like Eyetoy say) than people that don't.

It's not Nintendo abandoning their core market as people are trying to make out. And I disagree with people saying it is not a game.

Yes, I agree I don't know what the terms mean! I pointed out pretty early that I think the distinction is so pointless that it doesn't make sense. It's a new style of game (we agree on this, yes?) so how can it possibly be solely aimed at a old segment of the market? It's like saying a gun is not aimed at people that like knives. I believe that is aimed just as much as people that currently play games (like Eyetoy say) than people that don't.

It's not Nintendo abandoning their core market as people are trying to make out. And I disagree with people saying it is not a game.

You must have meant something by traditional audience, it means what you think it means. And I don't know why you consider it pointless when you used it in a sentence and conveyed something succinctly and accurately. Regarding who this is aimed at, just because something isn't aimed at gamers doesn't mean gamers are excluded from the target market. But this is clearly aimed at a different market than other games.

And if the people making out that Nintendo are abandoning their core market are in another thread you should respond to them in the thread their posting in.

You must have meant something by traditional audience, it means what you think it means. And I don't know why you consider it pointless when you used it in a sentence and conveyed something succinctly and accurately. Regarding who this is aimed at, just because something isn't aimed at gamers doesn't mean gamers are excluded from the target market. But this is clearly aimed at a different market than other games.
To me it just means people that play games semi-regularly vs people that never play them. Yes, I agree it is aimed at a different market than other games (how could that not be so seeing as it is new?) but that was not the original point. I believe it is aimed at more gamers than any other previous game with the exception of Brain Training whereas the original point (I think) was this was aimed less at gamers. For instance Halo is only aimed at people that really like FPS games.
And if the people making out that Nintendo are abandoning their core market are in another thread you should respond to them in the thread their posting in.
You're right, but it's easy to get confused during E3. I thought it was better to discuss people's responses to WiiFit in the WiiFit thread, even though they were said in another.

Question is will the peripheral be able to take your average obese American?

I'm a fat git and I'm always suprised by the amount of home gym equipment (running machines, bikes etc) that have a maximum user weight figure of something rubbish like 14 stones. I mean how are the fatties supposed to lose the gut if the equipment won't take the weight?

Everyone has to start gaming somewhere. I'm not sure why people think the casuals will buy this, play it and then bin it and quit gaming.

This will be some people's first game and some people's second after Wii sports. Who knows, they might buy Mario Galaxy after this and then Mario Kart after that and all of a sudden they're not casual gamers anymore...