HDR

larrydavidsanger

Having used flickr for about 6 months now, I've noticed a big increase in HDRs, seems everyone's at them but I just don't like them at all. Am I missing something? What is the attraction? To me, they just seem ... I don't know the right word, plastic-y? and completely overstylized

IJDGI

Well he says the HDRs now aren't on his Flickr site...so that's me looking like a fool. (to be fair, it's been ages since I was on his page, so I'd assumed they were still there.)

OT: I notice your sig link to your photo of the year isn't accessible ('private')

Well he says the HDRs now aren't on his Flickr site...so that's me looking like a fool. (to be fair, it's been ages since I was on his page, so I'd assumed they were still there.)

OT: I notice your sig link to your photo of the year isn't accessible ('private')

Didn't think they could be, they just don't have 'the' look, they're far nicer than HDR's.

Thanks for the heads up on the sig link, fixed it now, I've changed my Flickr settings recently so large sizes can't be seen unless you're a friend.

I'm really liking that guys HDR stuff(the kitchen photo above) not from a photogrphic point of view but from an illustrative one, be a great plate to put CG elements into without them looking out of place.

So is there a tutorial where I can see how these images are made?

hdr5.jpg

Well, that's clearly fucking horrible. Doesn't mean HDR is bad though. It just means that a lot of people don't seem to be able to resist making ridiculously gimmicky oversaturated tonemappings of HDR shots. And then sharpening the fuck out of them.

I've very recently started to manage to produce some tonemapped images where I can see that with practice, I'll be able to make it look like a normal photo, just with a better range of detail and contrast in the highlights and shadows. Thing is, though, I've worked quite hard at it and I'm still not close enough that I'd want to show people. It's going to be a lot of work - and most people aren't doing that work. They're just hitting the magic buttons and going "wahey!". Which results in a photo like that.