Ashes to Ashes

Eighthours

• 3 months later...

Press release issued as the third, and final, series starts shooting:

London, September 2009: It’s time to get your shoulder pads out of storage, start crimping your hair and get into the 80s mood for the very last time. The award-winning BBC One drama, Ashes to Ashes, is back as filming begins on the eagerly awaited final series.

The highly-anticipated finale sees Philip Glenister and Keeley Hawes reprise their roles as that most un-PC of policeman, DCI Gene Hunt and his sassy partner DI Alex Drake, along with Dean Andrews as DI Ray Carling, Marshall Lancaster as DC Chris Skelton and Montserrat Lombard as WPC Sharon ‘Shaz’ Granger. As well as the much loved regular faces, Daniel Mays (The Street, Plus One) will also appear in the series as Discipline and Complaints officer, Jim Keats, adding an exciting twist to the team dynamic.

With last series’ cliff-hanger leaving audiences with the frightening image of Alex lying shot on a hospital gurney, the questions on everyone’s lips are “will Alex survive?” And “how will her colleague and accidental assassin Gene Hunt dig himself out of that hole?”

The smash hit drama, made by Kudos Film and Television in association with Monastic Productions, finally unravels many of the mysteries from the previous two series of Ashes to Ashes, as well as those first experienced by the initial time-travelling copper, Sam Tyler, in the groundbreaking BBC One series Life on Mars some four years ago. Will Alex finally discover why she’s been sent back to the 80s? Does anything tie Alex and Sam Tyler together? And who exactly is Gene Hunt…?

Jane Featherstone, Executive Producer, Kudos Film and Television says: “Everyone has their own theory about who Gene Hunt is and why Alex Drake, and Sam Tyler ended up in his world. Alex’s journey is nearing its end and Matthew Graham and Ashley Pharoah have planned a fabulous finale. We’re now at the point where we can finally reveal some of the answers and we can’t wait to hear what the fans think about it all.”

Ashley Pharoah, co-creator, writer and Executive Producer for Monastic Productions adds: “Gene Hunt has delighted fans for almost five years. Matthew and I have loved writing the adventures of Gene, Alex and the rest of the team and will be really sad to finally have to say goodbye to characters that have become a great part of our lives.”

Piers Wenger, Head of Drama, BBC Wales also says: “Series three of Ashes to Ashes will have the same combination of thrilling crime drama, outrageous 80s outfits and cutting one liners. We’ll be sad to see Gene and the gang go but the journey that will take us to that finale will be one of the most exciting, compelling and edge-of-your seat rides on TV!”

Ashes to Ashes is written and created by Matthew Graham and Ashley Pharoah, two creators of the award-winning Life on Mars. It is produced by Kudos Film and Television, in association with Monastic Productions and was commissioned by Jay Hunt, Controller, BBC One and Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning.

Executive producer duties will be split between Jane Featherstone, Simon Crawford Collins and Alison Jackson for Kudos Film and Television, Ashley Pharoah for Monastic Productions and Piers Wenger for the BBC. The producer is Howard Burch.

I hope they actually do explain things, and not just stuff everything into the last episode.

I do love the whole LoM/AtA thing, but it's so just got the one more season in it, even though I could drool over Keeley Hawes for, like, ever.

• 3 months later...

I don't know if anyone here is interested...

I've been holding out from watching series 1 and 2 of Ashes to Ashes as I've been waiting for the blu ray release.

Anyway, a couple of days ago I've swapped a couple of emails with the company who produce the DVDs, and they tell me that there are currently no plans to release this in HD.

Thought you might like to know.

I don't know if anyone here is interested...

I've been holding out from watching series 1 and 2 of Ashes to Ashes as I've been waiting for the blu ray release.

Anyway, a couple of days ago I've swapped a couple of emails with the company who produce the DVDs, and they tell me that there are currently no plans to release this in HD.

Thought you might like to know.

I can't remember if these were shown on BBC HD or not. Although the Life on Mars Blurays are pretty poor so maybe we are not missing out on too much.

The life on mars blu ray are pretty poor picture quality wise. Think it has to do with the way they were filmed (actually on 16mm film for an authentic look) Essentially the blu rays contain an upscaled SD image. I picked them up cheaply but they aren't worth the expense. Think the same goes for ashes to ashes

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Press release. I've spoiler protected it in case:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressrele.../10/ashes.shtml

1983: The Brinks Matt robbery. The A-Team. Michael Jackson's Beat It. And the year of the Hunt

It's time to get your shoulder pads out of storage, start crimping your hair and get into the Eighties mood for the very last time because the award-winning BBC One drama, Ashes To Ashes, is back for Spring 2010.

The highly-anticipated finale sees Philip Glenister and Keeley Hawes reprise their roles as that most un-PC of policeman, DCI Gene Hunt, and his sassy partner DI Alex Drake, along with Dean Andrews as DI Ray Carling, Marshall Lancaster as DC Chris Skelton and Montserrat Lombard as WPC Sharon 'Shaz' Granger.

As well as the much-loved regular faces, Daniel Mays (The Street, Plus One) joins the series as Discipline and Complaints officer, Jim Keats, adding an unsettling twist to the team dynamic.

The smash hit drama (eight x 60-minutes), made by Kudos Film and Television in association with Monastic Productions, finally unravels many of the mysteries from the previous two series of Ashes To Ashes, as well as those first experienced by the initial time-travelling copper, Sam Tyler, in the groundbreaking BBC One series Life On Mars some five years ago.

Will Alex finally discover why she's been sent back to the Eighties? Does anything tie Alex and Sam Tyler together? And who exactly is Gene Hunt…?

PPR

Dean Andrews recently tweeted that he thinks the new series is even better than previous LoM/A2A... :)

Really? With his integral role in the series you would surely expect him to tweet something like:

"Don't get your hopes up."

or

"Oh man, this new season is a bit shit really. We really jumped the shark on this one."

SURELY

Really? With his integral role in the series you would surely expect him to tweet something like:

"Don't get your hopes up."

or

"Oh man, this new season is a bit shit really. We really jumped the shark on this one."

SURELY

Man has a point. :)

Actually, someone should really unleash the fury on celeb Tweeters' bullshit promises about upcoming stuff they're appearing in, after the fact. There's an amusing article in that somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I just caught up with this, and loved it. If anything we've been left with more questions than ever before, but at the same time it feels like things have moved forward a lot with the introduction of the new guy. It's like everything I thought I knew has been torn apart, and I didn't know anything to start with. :D

at the same time it feels like things have moved forward a lot with the introduction of the new guy.

Then again, they've introduced characters before who seemed to know exactly what was going on, but then turned it around at the last moment. Like the high-ranking police officer in Life on Mars series 2 who turned out to be a surgeon in the 2000s. He too implied there was a link between bringing down Gene Hunt and being able to return to the present day.

JeezO - that was brilliant stuff.

Really looking forward to seeing how this pans out... the new guys seems to be from the present. Suspect he's found a way to get into Alex's mind in a way the others had failed...

loved it.

I liked the new episode, but it seemed a bit busy – there was so much stuff to set up and address (i.e. the cliffhanger at the end of series 2, Drake’s disappearance, Hunt’s suspension, the introduction of the bloke from Funland, Ray’s promotion to DI, the ghost copper with the headwound, not to mention the actual case they handle) that it seemed quite rushed. The parents of the missing child were pretty thinly sketched, as was the villain.

Plus, I bet everyone on here thought the game they showed the development company working on looked way too advanced for 1983. Having an episode set in the videogame industry in 1983 seemed like a good idea for some jokes and commentary and nostalgia, but they didn’t take advantage at all. They could at least have had Drake make a few arch references to C5s or had a thinly disguised Alan Sugar or Clive Sinclair, but it was a bit of a missed opportunity.

Still, now they’ve got all the setup out of the way, hopefully the next few episodes will be more coherent.

Plus, I bet everyone on here thought the game they showed the development company working on looked way too advanced for 1983. Having an episode set in the videogame industry in 1983 seemed like a good idea for some jokes and commentary and nostalgia, but they didn’t take advantage at all. They could at least have had Drake make a few arch references to C5s or had a thinly disguised Alan Sugar or Clive Sinclair, but it was a bit of a missed opportunity.

They weren't game developers, they were computer manufaturers.