September 04

August 04

July 04

June 04

May 04

April 04

March 04

February 04

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miscellaneous Classic Material From the Forum's Crates

The Perfect CD for a Hip-Hop Virgin

Recommend Me Some Classic... Hip-Hop! (focusing on Golden Era late 80s/early 90s classics)

Recommend Me Some Modern... Hip-Hop! (mid 90s til the modern era)

Common - Like Water For Chocolate... and 'conscious' hip-hop (recommending jazzier, smoother, socio-political stuff rather than gangsta/street LPs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links

www.suspect-packages.co.uk

www.scenariorecords.com

www.rootdownrecords.com

www.rapandsoulmailorder.com

www.juno.co.uk

www.picadillyrecords.com

www.turntablelab.com

www.hiphopsite.com

www.ukhh.com

www.skratch-alienz.com

www.sandboxautomatic.com

www.daybydayent.com

www.thegiantpeach.com

www.hiphop-blogs.com/hiphop/

www.digitalgravel.com

Four Elements (old-skool videos)

http://www.hiphopgame.co.uk/audio.php

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommended Radio Shows

XFM – 11pm-1am Saturdays

Beats FM – 9pm-11pm Saturdays

Hiphopphilosophy.com 24/7 hip hop radio

WeFunk Radio

UGGH Radio

Recommended Internet TV shows

The Breakdown (Yo Mtv Raps mix of interviews and videos)

BBC1's - The History Of Hip Hop

Classic Hip hop videos

Spinemagazines essential youtube video list

Blogs & Podcasts

Rhymesandbeats.com

Strawp's Props

Venemous Villain Blog

Old Skool video blog

Strictly Beats Instrumentals blog

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Videos]

RUN DMC - Run's House

Gangstarr - Full Clip

Gangstarr - Code of the Streets

Wu Tang Clan - Da Mystery of Chessboxin'

On with the show…

Some shit to download

Skyzoo & Marco Polo – Blockshit

Skyzoo & 9th Wonder – Way To Go

So what are the big July releases? This one is out at the very end of the month, on the 31st:

51Wr85OjzyL._SS500_.jpg

I expect we'll have a fair bit of discussion about it in this month's thread. I'm very excited about it. Of the 4 or 5 songs I've heard, he looks to be continuing from where he left off from the GLORIOUS Be album. I wonder if he can top it?

Oh yeah, I'll be going to this on Wednesday night:

JUL 04

STONES THROW EUROPE TOUR @ Sub Club

PB WOLF, J.ROCC, PERCEE P, GUILTY SIMPSON, ALOE BLACC

GLASGOW

Stupid hot line-up. Especially looking forward to seeing Percee P and Guilty Simpson. It'd be cool to see some of my Scottish fam down there in the Subby. The same tour hits London on the 11th, incidentally.

Anyone know where's there's an audio file of Kanye at the Diana thing yesterday? Just saw it on YouTube and it looked amazing. Pharrell was shit though.

Checking out Nabo's album, think ashmat mentioned it at the end of last months thread. It's alright, he obviously stands up well as an emcee, nice punchlines and decent flow...but as many of you know I'm a massive PTU fan and Nabo just doesn't sound right without Mr Jason's input.

It's not just the beats, Mr J obviously plays a major part in PTU material because this album doesn't have as much comedy/novelty appeal, consider me slightly disappointed but I didn't expect much to be honest.

To back up my point, he sounds better on the Mr Jason esque beats (see Dumbmuthafucka).

I think hes winding you lot up.

I mean, he has to be.

We all know that Umbrella is the best song of the year :-)

Seriously mate. Its no wind up. We'll brick his windows later.

2007 is the year of the Mutya!

Christ, I was played the Kanye LP today by a member of Clot (Edison Chen's HK crew). For those that thought the Plain Pat mixtape was bad (or was it just me?) - prepare to be even more disappointed.

He's done a Pharrell and fell off in a huge, hyped-up way, but as he seems to be his own greatest fan I don't see him worrying.

It was low quality AAC but I'll try and up something in a couple.

I think it was released last year, but has anyone listened to 'Breaking Kayfabe' by Cadence Weapon? It's not solid throughout but it has some excellent tracks, and it's quite a bit different than most of the other hip-hop I've heard- the beats he uses seem to have been knocked out on a casio keyboard for the most part, but it works. It feels really clunky at times, but in a good way, if that makes any sense.

Anyone else heard it?

I've been listening to Faust vs Dälek a lot recently (Derbe Respect, Alder). Recommendations of similar stuffs would be good if anyone has any?

Is that Faust as in the German Krautrock band? I didn't realise that they'd collaborated together. I really dig the new Dälek album 'Abandoned Language'; there's elements of drone, IDM and post-rock in the production which don't really sound like anyone else. Oddly, the rapper sounds exactly like Rakim too (although not as technically skilled, obviously).

I think it was released last year, but has anyone listened to 'Breaking Kayfabe' by Cadence Weapon? It's not solid throughout but it has some excellent tracks, and it's quite a bit different than most of the other hip-hop I've heard- the beats he uses seem to have been knocked out on a casio keyboard for the most part, but it works. It feels really clunky at times, but in a good way, if that makes any sense.

Anyone else heard it?

I quite like that album, there's a couple of duff moments like you say but I can see him being one to watch in the next few years. He's a massive videogame geek (as you can see from his video to Sharks) and there's loads of games references in his lyrics, there's a real 8-bit sound to some of his beats. I bought a mixtape from him that he did before Breaking Kayfabe which you'll probably like - I'll up it when I get home, has a couple of remixes and different tracks.

Is that Faust as in the German Krautrock band? I didn't realise that they'd collaborated together. I really dig the new Dälek album 'Abandoned Language'; there's elements of drone, IDM and post-rock in the production which don't really sound like anyone else. Oddly, the rapper sounds exactly like Rakim too (although not as technically skilled, obviously).

Yeah, it is. Strange collaboration, but it really fucking works.

I think I prefered Absence to Abandoned Language.. seemed a lot more raw. You might be right though.. I can't find anyone that sounds anything like them. Which is annoying, because I want more. :o

Stream Q-Tip's new song. Not really one for the purists, this is more on that Kamaal the Abstract tip. I quite like it!

Q-Tip plans on celebrating Independence Day with a bang this year by offering "WorkItOut," the first single from his new album, as a free download. The cut is available beginning today (July 3) from Q-Tip's MySpace.com site. Its accompanying album, "The Renaissance," is due in the fall via Motown.

"The Renaissance" features a live band and, with the exception of Common, Outkast's Andre 3000 and D'Angelo thus far, minimal collaborations. "Sometimes guests don't really warrant an appearance," Q-Tip previously told Billboard.com about the record.

Q-Tip says in a statement that "WorkItOut" is emblematic of the new album's sound: "thought-provoking, dance-friendly, fun and last but not least, hip-hop."

Click Here!

In related news, look for the artist guesting on the track "Kids With Words" on the new Wu-Tang Clan album, "The 8 Diagrams," due in the fall via SRC Records.

I really hope that Wu-Tang/Tip collaboration works. His appearance on RZA's Afro Samurai soundtrack should have been big. I felt it was kinda flat (much like the rest of that project).

I quite like that album, there's a couple of duff moments like you say but I can see him being one to watch in the next few years. He's a massive videogame geek (as you can see from his video to Sharks) and there's loads of games references in his lyrics, there's a real 8-bit sound to some of his beats. I bought a mixtape from him that he did before Breaking Kayfabe which you'll probably like - I'll up it when I get home, has a couple of remixes and different tracks.

Yeah, I definitely noticed a few Zelda references in there, amongst other things. And that mixtape would be great- looking forward to checking it out.

Kamaal the Abstract

After browsing Q-Tip's Myspace I'm shocked and saddened that Kamaal The Abstract is still in limbo. Wasn't it reported that it finally was being released? With previously unleaked tracks as well? I'm sure I read about it all over the place - on Spine, Billboard, AllHipHop...I was WELL looking forward to that.

Right now I cannot think of a better sat-on-by-pussy-ass-record-company hip-hop related album. I WANT TO BUY IT.

Right now I cannot think of a better sat-on-by-pussy-ass-record-company hip-hop related album. I WANT TO BUY IT.

Saigon's.

The Kamaal The Abstract record's largely junk (even if you have a soft spot for rappers who can't sing singing).