IGNORED

Nintendo bigger than Sony?

Capwn

Is it me or does this mean Nintentdo is now a bigger company than the whole of Sony. Quite hard to imagine considering all the areas Sony have covered in the entire marketplace?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/1741c590-22dd-11dc...amp;_i_referer=

Nintendo outstrips Sony in market value

By Reuters June 25 04:35:51 GMT

Nintendo zipped past Sony in market value on Monday and became one of Japan’s top 10 issues for the first time, as it elbows the PlayStation maker out of its decade-long dominance of the game industry.

Nintendo now joins such global household names as Toyota, Honda and Canon on the list of the 10 most valuable Japanese companies. Shares in Nintendo were up 1.5 per cent at Y46,150 by midday, boosting its market value to Y6,500bn ($53bn), while Sony fell 1.1 per cent to Y6,480, or Y6,500bn in market capitalisation.

That's what its says. Although Ninty's shares had dipped enough by COP yesterday to remove them from the top spot.

Sony's share prices had been falling for a while though, even before the launch of PS3 - their hopes for recvoery were pinned on PS3 and Blu-ray. Still impressive though when comparing a pure games company to a huge conglomorate.

So what?

What do you mean so what? To me it's pretty mindboggling that a company that is essentially manufacturing two products is worth this much in consideration of how big and wide Sony's product and service range is.

As a moneymaker and a overall business Nintendo have always been quite effective. They've had their crisis' from time to time but they've always managed to recover somehow. I think what we see now is the 2nd coming of the gigantic sucess they had in the 80s. By the next decade things will probably look quite diffrent.

Market Capitalisation is the value of a share x amount of shares. I suppose it's the best way to find out how much a listed company is 'worth' in the eyes of the market. I would guess Sony would still pwn them in assets. I'd still rather have Nintendo shares though!

Remember all the threads where people said Nintendo should become software-only, they were doing so bad?

This is from people who didn't understand how nintendo structure there buissness, nintendo make shit loads of profit every year. Every GBA, DS, GC, Wii sold makes nintendo money on the machine. People started shouting "DOOOOOOMED WE'RE ALL DOOOOMED" as just as profits diped. 2 years ago nintendo's profits were the same as the whole of the sony corperation (including SCEE) and this for a company who's struggling.

We might not see the full force of the big red ninty machine in europe but well it's a animal.

My take on this is that maybe Sony's - bigger, better approach hasn't worked this time around. It worked for PS2, but for some reason it hasn't for PS3.

Maybe people just want something a little different. I dunno I'm no expert.

The PS2 was bigger and better than what?

Surely in the last gen, as huge as the PS2 brand became [and still is], it was never actually better than xbox or gamecube?

The PS2 was bigger and better than what?

Surely in the last gen, as huge as the PS2 brand became [and still is], it was never actually better than xbox or gamecube?

Recent approach he might mean of the PS3 and PSP. Ie packing in lots of technology and hi tech features, especially on the former

Stuff like this makes me happy. Not so long ago everyone was talking about how bad sales for Nintendo were. And I have to admit, Nintendo wasn't doing so well in 2004, with only one release for gamecube during the entire summer. But hell, look at the numbers now and you'll see something you'd never believe if you haven't followed recent years. good comeback, but as is the past, we'll never know what the future brings us.

As a moneymaker and a overall business Nintendo have always been quite effective. They've had their crisis' from time to time but they've always managed to recover somehow. I think what we see now is the 2nd coming of the gigantic sucess they had in the 80s. By the next decade things will probably look quite diffrent.

My concern as a shareholder would be where can they go from here? They have absolutely nothing on the horizon that would indicate they are going to capitalise on their position in the market anything like adequately.

I've gone from being a Wii enthusiast to being incredibly cynical of their operation very quickly. It looks like a short term game with impressive results, but the long term doesn't seem to be encouraging. They need to get some killer software out for that thing quickly, before the second hand Wii market really picks up as people get bored of them.

Sony are in the reverse game. Their new(ish) CEO is having to do a lot of heavy restructuring to them. Worth pointing out that two years ago Sony TVs were considered dead in the market, and now they're back on top again. Once the SCE division subsidised the whole company, and now the opposite is true.

The industry as a whole this gen is lacking decent software on the horizon. It's absolutely shocking really.

My concern as a shareholder would be where can they go from here? They have absolutely nothing on the horizon that would indicate they are going to capitalise on their position in the market anything like adequately.

I've gone from being a Wii enthusiast to being incredibly cynical of their operation very quickly. It looks like a short term game with impressive results, but the long term doesn't seem to be encouraging. They need to get some killer software out for that thing quickly, before the second hand Wii market really picks up as people get bored of them.

New zelda, new mario, new metroid game, sales of VC games etc etc all to come. Theres plenty of things they are and can capitalise with. The reason theres a current dry spell is because the console is new, all consoles go through a similar thing in the first year as developers get their head around the hardware. Dont forget that the success of the Wii has taken a lot of developers by surprise and some are now seeing it as the main contender for their software. It just takes time.

If Sony continue to haemorrhage money the way they have been for the last few years, it won't be long before the contents of my belly button are worth more than Sony.

New zelda, new mario, new metroid game, sales of VC games etc etc all to come.

Those only appeal to the games hardcore. If what we are led to believe about the Wii is true (ie that it's sold outside the games hardcore) then the software on it looks really quite crap.

The "New" versions of Nintendo franchises are a large problem, as they have to satisfy both the groups that continued playing them through the N64 and Cube eras and those that skipped them (potentially the majority of Wii owners). If Nintendo disappoint the hardcore by producing a simple Mario game (as I think they should - Galaxy seems way too complicated) the hardcore will cry. If it's too complex the new customers will remember why they didn't play video games and leave.

The only possible counter is solid new IP, and given the critical blasting Brain Training received on Wii when it should've been a home run I'm not convinced they've got it in them.

The only possible counter is solid new IP, and given the critical blasting Brain Training received on Wii when it should've been a home run I'm not convinced they've got it in them.

I'm not surprised it got a "critical blasting" - it doesn't exist.

if Smash Bros, Mario and Metroid all turn out to be rubbish - then I'll agree that Nintendo haven't released killer software on the Wii. However, to have, within just over a year of release, 4 huge AAA epic hardcore mega uber major franchise releases from Nintendo is very impressive.

I strongly suspect most people don't care if it's Brain Academy/Training. It's Nintendo - it's the Brain series. It's far from good enough, and looks like the beginning of a trend to rush software out asap.

I see no reason why to assume future releases should improve. The DS did admittedly, but that was almost entirely on the back of third parties. The irony of the Wii is it looks like the best titles on it will all be from EA.

I strongly suspect most people don't care if it's Brain Academy/Training. It's Nintendo - it's the Brain series. It's far from good enough, and looks like the beginning of a trend to rush software out asap.

But Brain Age/Training is the "serious" brain "game". Big Brain Academy is the "fun" kids one, and less scientific. The DS version of it got poor scores too.